Multiple sensors have stopped working...

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm posting this thread because there are 2 Google support threads on this issue and after 1st having thought only one sensor was not working, I've discovered several of my sensors not working. Maybe at some point we can figure it out. Maybe others are having this issue.

It started with my Auto-rotate function stopping working 5 minutes after restarting my phone. That lead me to 2 Google support threads with multiple Pixel users reporting the issue as well. Multiple attempted fix suggestions were tried and failed. Including factory reset that other users did without success so I didn't go there.

The Google support threads lead me to a sensor testing app. In many reports, users noted multiple sensors stopping working. I hoped my 3XL was the exception. The sensor test app for me showed all sensors working after restart for about 5 minutes, then multiple sensors stop working. In my case my accelerometer, compass and gyroscope sensors stop working. Worse than I realized.

There is an app that forces the screen to rotate. I'll use that for now, as inconvenient as that is.

As for the other functionality I'm losing with 3 sensors not working, I'm not sure. I am getting by using my phone for work + personal. I like the phone. It's too bad,though. This sort of thing shouldn't happen with a phone that's been babied.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the bootloader is unlocked, you could try reflashing the firmware (Google | Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices). (But unlocking the bootloader is like a factory reset, so if it's not unlocked, you may not want to unlock it.)

If you do, remove the -w from the last fastboot line in the last fastboot line in the .bat or .sh file (depending on whether you're running Windows or Mac/Linux), to keep from wiping the phone when you flash it. (Of course the first time it won't make any difference if you had to unlock the bootloader.)

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
As of a couple days ago, it was my accelerometer and compass sensors not working. In the last 2 days, I now have complete sensor failure. Calls are getting screwed up because the proximity sensor is broke and my ear touches something and opens it. My phone is resetting to zero brightness for no reason,I believe because the light senor is not working, Whereas my phone was at least functional before 2 days ago, I fear now it's becoming less useful and frustrating. I either need a fix or a new phone. And it definitely won't be a Pixel. Never again.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm putting together a comprehensive list of Pixel 3/3XL functions that don't work since Google broke the phone sensors for some of us. If any of the following functions don't work for you, it may be due to you having broken sensors, in which case you should install an app like "Sensor Test" from the Play store and check your sensors. Google refuses to communicate with any of us on this issue as well and there are several support threads above which show this.

So far, I've identified these issues related to non-working sensors:

Most gestures like flip to shsh (do not disturb), camera on with wrist twist, change to selfie mode (with camera on portait mode)
Auto-rotate
Camera panorama mode
camera photosphere mode
camera astrophotgraphy mode
Unable to update to current Google Play System
Squeeze for google assistant

If you discover others, let me know so we can add it to the list. Thanks.

wolfpack219

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you @mrpackerguy! I am able to get most the sensors working again after several restarts so I know it's a software issue. The sensors that I can never get to work are the light and proximity sensors. So I have no auto brightness and several of the photo modes won't work like Astrophotography mode. Really disappointed since the camera is a major feature of this device. This all started on Android 10 on a Pixel 3XL.

wilmah

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
Wow- I've been stressing with this on my pixel 3 since upgrading to 10. I've tried all the suggest fixes except unlocking and flashing a factory image with no luck. My proximity sensor is dead so my lift/tap to wake doesn't work. This was something I really liked but haven't had since updating to 10. Such a drag.

I was hoping updating to 11 beta would offer a fix but unfortunately it hasn't changed my proximity woes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance