Apps and Web pages disappeared after apps update

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
This morning Google Play updated a bunch of apps and web system. After I rebooted the phone a whole bunch of web pages and apps disappeared from the home pages. What's most disturbing is most of the icons are for alternative news sites. I can manually go to the sites and put them back on the homepage, however why does this happen and how do I prevent it from happening again?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Which device this happened on?

I had the recent webview update and havnt experience this on multiple different manufacturers phones .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone? Sometimes, when an app has a major update, the app shortcut might disappear from the homescreen, and needs to be placed again. I wouldn't be surprised if website shortcuts also disappeared because of a major browser update, or perhaps from Android System Webview. Since you bring up alternative news sites, I really don't think this has anything to do with censorship.

One thing I encountered recently was that the folder of Direct Dial widgets I created (essentially my way of speed dialing) disappeared from my homescreen (both on the Pixel Launcher and on Nova Launcher), so I had to recreate it. Might have been the same general reason.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Which phone? Sometimes, when an app has a major update, the app shortcut might disappear from the homescreen, and needs to be placed again. I wouldn't be surprised if website shortcuts also disappeared because of a major browser update, or perhaps from Android System Webview. Since you bring up alternative news sites, I really don't think this has anything to do with censorship.

One thing I encountered recently was that the folder of Direct Dial widgets I created (essentially my way of speed dialing) disappeared from my homescreen (both on the Pixel Launcher and on Nova Launcher), so I had to recreate it. Might have been the same general reason.

Pixel 3a yes web view was one of the updates

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37