This morning Google Play updated a bunch of apps and web system. After I rebooted the phone a whole bunch of web pages and apps disappeared from the home pages. What's most disturbing is most of the icons are for alternative news sites. I can manually go to the sites and put them back on the homepage, however why does this happen and how do I prevent it from happening again?
    04-22-2021 10:40 AM
    Which device this happened on?

I had the recent webview update and havnt experience this on multiple different manufacturers phones .
    04-22-2021 09:46 PM
    Which phone? Sometimes, when an app has a major update, the app shortcut might disappear from the homescreen, and needs to be placed again. I wouldn't be surprised if website shortcuts also disappeared because of a major browser update, or perhaps from Android System Webview. Since you bring up alternative news sites, I really don't think this has anything to do with censorship.

One thing I encountered recently was that the folder of Direct Dial widgets I created (essentially my way of speed dialing) disappeared from my homescreen (both on the Pixel Launcher and on Nova Launcher), so I had to recreate it. Might have been the same general reason.
    04-22-2021 09:48 PM
    Which phone? Sometimes, when an app has a major update, the app shortcut might disappear from the homescreen, and needs to be placed again. I wouldn't be surprised if website shortcuts also disappeared because of a major browser update, or perhaps from Android System Webview. Since you bring up alternative news sites, I really don't think this has anything to do with censorship.

One thing I encountered recently was that the folder of Direct Dial widgets I created (essentially my way of speed dialing) disappeared from my homescreen (both on the Pixel Launcher and on Nova Launcher), so I had to recreate it. Might have been the same general reason.
    Pixel 3a yes web view was one of the updates
    04-22-2021 10:06 PM
    Yeah, I have a 3 XL.
    04-22-2021 11:25 PM
    [Moved this to pixel 3a forums]
    04-23-2021 09:12 AM