Pixel 3a not wanting to fast charge

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
My Pixel 3a is not doing a rapid charge using the Google USB-C provided charger; I usually keep the phone on my jeans pocket and I cleared as much lint as I could from the USB-C charging port using a sewing needle (some things were coming out).
Now the charger seems to go all the way in but the phone says "charging" then moves to "not charging" and then goes back to "charging"...not rapid charging happening.
I've tried two Google USB-C chargers and a Lenovo USB-C 65W laptop charger (it may not be a good idea but I used to use it once in a while).

What more can I do to make the phone do a rapid charge again? I don't want to do a factory reset of the phone...

Last edited:

korab84

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried different outlets? What about the connection between the charger and the cable?

I've tried other outlets in my apartment, changed the charger cable between my two Google USB-C chargers, and no change...my wife's Pixel 3 does the rapid charging without an issue

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've tried other outlets in my apartment, changed the charger cable between my two Google USB-C chargers, and no change...my wife's Pixel 3 does the rapid charging without an issue
Still think a can aof compress air should be done , needle doesn't clean out everything you probably got most out to get the charger to fit but probably still not completely clean

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
That's the same problem my wife had with 2 different Pixel 3a phones. They just stopped charging no matter what OEM cable or charging brick we used. In both cases a replacement phone was our only solution.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's the same problem my wife had with 2 different Pixel 3a phones. They just stopped charging no matter what OEM cable or charging brick we used. In both cases a replacement phone was our only solution.

That is a good suggestion. OP, do you have any type of insurance through your carrier or through Google Device Care?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That's the only complaint I've had with the pixels I've owned.... inconsistent charging behavior and battery percentage readouts. But I've also had the same issues on multiple other devices running different versions of Android as well. None of them were problems that prevented normal usage of the devices, but the behavior was erratic. I suspect Android still has some bugs with battery charging and usage. I understand why some people turn off the battery percentage readout :eek:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's the only complaint I've had with the pixels I've owned.... inconsistent charging behavior and battery percentage readouts. But I've also had the same issues on multiple other devices running different versions of Android as well. None of them were problems that prevented normal usage of the devices, but the behavior was erratic. I suspect Android still has some bugs with battery charging and usage. I understand why some people turn off the battery percentage readout :eek:

I turn off my battery percentage indicator all the time! It makes me nervous to watch it go down - whether during normal use or when I'm watching videos.