Contact added as Favorite to Phone App doesn't stick

PeterLairo1

Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
Contact added as Favorite to Phone App doesn't stick

Pixel 3a.

Hi,

I have a contact that I need to add to my Phone App's Favorites (I don't see where I can upload a screenshot here). Whenever I add the contact, it will disappear after a few seconds, or minutes.

Why is this happening, and how can I make that contact stay in my Phone's Favorites?

My primary contacts are from FastMail, which is synchronized to my phone using the DAVx5 CardDAV app. I also have 3 Google accounts, two that have no contacts, and one that does have contacts.

Possibly related: When I go to my "Emergency Contacts" and select "Add Contact", I get the message "No contacts with phone numbers", even though one of my Google accounts does have contacts with mobile phone numbers.

I did delete all contacts from one of my Google accounts. It used to be my primary account. Could it be that the phone is still looking at that (now contacts-less) account for contacts for the Favorites and Emergency Numbers?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Peter

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

Open your Contacts app and select the contact in question. Is there a star icon at the upper right, and if so, is it toggled on?

PeterLairo1

Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
Thank you. The only place I can find my question in my profile is at the top left, under “Your Menu / My Threads”. Is there no place within my profile page to see my Posts?

Anyhow, yes, the contact does have a star icon at the upper right. The star is “on”.

I've also tried adding the contact to Favorites via a tap on the contact under “Frequents” (right below the Favorites) and selecting “Add favorite” in the appearing drop-down menu. Same result.

S1.png

screenshot-forums.androidcentral.com-2023.01.25-21_14_48.png

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My Threads is the best place to find threads you started (which includes this one). You can also look under Participated or Subscribed.

Try clearing the app cache/data of the Phone app in Settings>Apps, then force stop it, and then open it again. Do they still not show up?

Last edited:

PeterLairo1

Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
I cleared the storage and the cache and did a Force Stop. The contact stayed in the Phone App's favorites for a few days and then disappeared again.

Possibly related: When I try to add a contact to my emergency contacts, in the screen that would list all my contacts, it only says "No contacts with phone numbers".

I sync my contacts with my Fastmail account via the DAVx5 app using CardDAV.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it has to do with how you sync your contacts. Can you test adding one of those emergency contacts to your Google Contacts on your computer browser, letting that sync, and then making that a Favorite?

PeterLairo1

Jan 25, 2023
Visit site
As you suggested, on Wed. 1.2.2023, I manually added a contact to my Google account and then added it to my Phone app's favorites.

Unfortunately, today, Thu. 2.2.2023, that contact disappeared again from my Phone app's favorites. Strangely, the other three contacts in my Phone app's favorites, which are synced from my Fastmail account via the DAVx5 app (and are not in my Google account), never disappear.

I'm at a loss and appreciate any help you can give.

BTW: The "Add an Emergency Contact" list lists only the 2 contacts I have in my Google account.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not quite sure what's going on either. Try clearing the app cache/data from the Contacts app as well (assuming all of your contacts are being synced from somewhere in the cloud, and you don't have any important contacts saved to the phone only).