12-28-2018 04:16 PM
65 123
tools
    This is not necessarily the best example, but it illustrates the point.

http://www.androidguys.com/wp-conten...CDvsAMOLED.jpg

See the discrete colors on the fringes of round surfaces on the OLED? Depending on where it is in the arc you'll see red or green on the fringes. That doesn't happen on LCD.

Also, yes, LCD has three subpixels for each pixel. Pentile AMOLED, which is every AMOLED nowadays, though it doesn't have to be, has two subpixels for every pixel. It literally only has 2/3 the information for a given resolution.
    I don't see a difference under normal conditions.
    11-24-2018 08:58 AM
    The Pixel 3 Lite is a great idea to gain more users Google just has to make sure they price it correctly.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    11-24-2018 09:53 AM
    Could be a great mid-ranger, especially if it has the same camera.
    11-26-2018 09:50 AM
    32 GB internal storage is very bad in 2018 even for mid ranger. They should have put 64 GB and would have been fine. But with 32 GB it's hard to recommend IMO.
    As far I know based on rumors there will be only that sku and no other storage options.
    11-26-2018 11:47 AM
    It will be awesome if google makes the phone available to only a few regions. Amazing midrange phone.
    11-26-2018 06:08 PM
    I actually would be a bit shocked if they actually made this available at all in the West. Crazier things have happened, though.
    11-26-2018 06:33 PM
    A small rant..

Let me say this too... If this thing actually turns out to be true and come to market sometime in the spring on 2019, whoever is supposedly over security for Google's phones needs to be let go. The security leaks for the Pixel 3 were months in advance and their security was like water through a sieve.

If it happens again for this device somebody GOTTA GO!
    11-26-2018 09:13 PM
    A small rant..

Let me say this too... If this thing actually turns out to be true and come to market sometime in the spring on 2019, whoever is supposedly over security for Google's phones needs to be let go. The security leaks for the Pixel 3 were months in advance and their security was like water through a sieve.

If it happens again for this device somebody GOTTA GO!
    I believe if they really wanted to keep a secret they would have. Everyone had leaks and for the most part I believe that are deliberate.
    11-26-2018 11:04 PM
    I believe if they really wanted to keep a secret they would have. Everyone had leaks and for the most part I believe that are deliberate.
    If the goal was to create a lot of press for the upcoming Pixel 3 / 3 XL, they certainly succeeded. I'm with you on deliberate.
    11-26-2018 11:33 PM
    why google not used snapdragon 710 for this edition?....
    11-27-2018 04:49 AM
    I'm not seeing the point to the Pixel lite. At it's projected price point aside from newer why not just get a Pixel 2 at a good price. With some of the recent deals even a Pixel 3 makes more sense.
    11-27-2018 06:13 AM
    If this turns out to be accurate, Rick Osterloh's contract needs to be acclerated and Google needs to look for a fresh direction and strategy..

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...n-spring-2019/
    12-27-2018 01:44 PM
    At this point, I don't think Google should cheapen the Pixel name with this lite version. IMO, they've just established the Pixel name as a premium brand. Maybe they'll rename it at launch.

Google should do what Apple did with the XR, offer something a few hundred dollars cheaper by lowering the specs just a bit. They already have done that with the smaller P3 to an extent. They could cut back on some more hardware to lower the price a couple hundred more to make it more affordable without introducing a new "lite" line.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    12-28-2018 09:22 AM
    As this story unfolds, with everything still leaks or rumors at best, if it does come to fruition I feel it will be a misstep in strategy.

The next logical step for the Pixel brand is to extend to additional carriers in the states. Carriers are the main distribution system in the states. Introducing similar devices at a lower price point before extending to additional carriers, I believe, would reflect Google's inexperience with in house hardware strategy.

IMO, the decision to go wider before going deeper is what the brand needs at this point. A Pixel "Lite" strategy that mirrors the current Pixel strategy just spinters resources and doesn't extend the footprint of brand.

Google should position the previous generation of the Pixel to fill the lower price point space. A new device, again at this point, that is distributed to the same market in the same way would be, I feel, a broken approach to growing the brand with new people.
    anon(10274434) likes this.
    12-28-2018 12:40 PM
    He's not a techie at all and just a regular consumer, he only got the Pixel because he looks to me for tech-related purchases and he basically said that the phones are pretty much the same and if the Pixel is better, it's marginal and the main, important things to him - messages, calls, emails, Facebook, etc are exactly the same. He's looking to get the S10 or Note 10 next year. I mentioned that if he went back to Samsung, he'd miss out on monthly security updates and software updates, which he didn't care at all for as he doesn't download random apps or do anything risky on the phone. I said he'll lose the unlimited photo/video storage and again he didn't care, the free high res option was fine and paying an extra $20/year for 100gb Google storage is not a big deal.
    He won't miss out on monthly security updates though. Verizon and the other major carriers have been consistently pushing out monthly security updates around 2-3 weeks behind Google since the S7 (almost 3 generations ago) which is pretty damn good to be honest. Even my S9+ running the Pie Beta has been on the Dec. 1 patch since the 11th.

The complaints you hear about delayed updates are usually from owners using unlocked phones (where Samsung only promises quarterly updates as they have to certify for a greater number of carriers for these models) and/or from people using 2nd tier service providers.
    12-28-2018 04:16 PM
65 123