Pixel 3/3XL Lite phones to have more RAM then regular Pixels. Thoughts?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I just mean, if we paid $999 for the Google Pixel 3XL, and the $500 3xl light performs better, that will make a lot of people mad.

And if they sold it for $99...oh, wait, we don't know how much RAM there will be, what the performance will be like, how much it will cost, what kind of display it will have but some can get their knickers in a twist over what-iifs.

I thought my Pixel 2 was great and still do. I just got my Pixel 3 and I am enjoying it. No lag. No stutter. No notch. No problem involving hardware.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I'm just venting... The 6GB of ram is a slap in the face for other pixel 3 users... That's all.

How is it a slap in the face though? That's what I'm asking. It seems to me that the specs of one phone have nothing whatsoever to do with the specs of another, other than the already mentioned small phones having lesser specs than big ones.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
First off, it is difficult to understate the degree to which not all RAM is created equally. While the 'lite' models may have a higher volume of storage, it almost certainly will not be faster, and quite likely will be slower than the 3 and 3 XL, causing relatively poorer net performance.

Secondly, there could be other compromises in parts used that keep the lite models from operating as smoothly as the 3 and 3 XL do with 4GB of RAM, necessitating the 6GB to keep it from experiencing lag, stutters, etc.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Looking at a single item such as RAM, even making the assumption that it will be of the same caliber and speed as that used with the 3 and 3 XL, it is a huge mistake to ignore all of the other differences and jump to the conclusion that a larger amount or RAM in the lites will lead them to be even close to on par, much less the superior device.

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling Google will release this next to the Pixel 4 as their low cost option. It seems weird to release a new pixle 3 litr in the middle of Pixel 3's life cycle.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Thoughts from a systems developer. Since Android can summarily kill any app in RAM at any time (no "asking permission, then swapping running programs to hard drive), as long as there's enough RAM to run Linux, Android (Dalvik, actually) and the foreground app, there's enough RAM. (Don't believe me? Read what one of the people who designed Android said at Multitasking the Android Way.) If we start seeing games that need 8GB just to run, current phones will be too small (no space for Dalvik or Linux in an 8GB phone if the app alone needs 8GB). But for anything currently in the Play store, 4GB is more than enough space (and probably will continue to be for at least a few years). The fact hat it's running a 700 series chipset, as opposed to an 800 series, is what's going to hurt it. More RAM can't make up for less CPU. Not even in Windows, where 16GB of RAM isn't so unheard of.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
The fact hat it's running a 700 series chipset, as opposed to an 800 series, is what's going to hurt it. More RAM can't make up for less CPU. Not even in Windows, where 16GB of RAM isn't so unheard of.

Agree with all of your post, but w/r/t this as reasoning for 6GB in the P-liteXL, how does Google then explain/justify combining an even slower CPU with only 4GB RAM in the smaller P-lite? (Assuming specs in OP linked article are correct)

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
No interest in this at all but it wouldn't hurt them to release a new version of the 3/3xl before the 4 lands, maybe a 256gb/6gb iteration?

Would tick some people off for sure but I'd be all over it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No interest in this at all but it wouldn't hurt them to release a new version of the 3/3xl before the 4 lands, maybe a 256gb/6gb iteration?

Would tick some people off for sure but I'd be all over it.

It wouldn't tick me off at all. I would rather wait for the 4. I would welcome a 4XL with 256 but I'm OK with 128. The 6GB is unnecessary based on my experience with the the 3XL but I welcome it just to put an end to all the complaining about 4GB.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It wouldn't tick me off at all. I would rather wait for the 4. I would welcome a 4XL with 256 but I'm OK with 128. The 6GB is unnecessary based on my experience with the the 3XL but I welcome it just to put an end to all the complaining about 4GB.

The pixel 4xl with a snapdragon 855 7nm chip is going to be something cant wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech