05-15-2019 12:45 PM
172 12345 ...
tools
    Regarding the rumored (probably true) processor of both phones, can someone confirm if this means it is a slower processer than the one found on the gen 1 Pixel? (Qualcomm Snapdragon 821). Am I understanding this correctly?

I currently have someone offering me a new Pixel 3 (not XL) for $500 and wondering what choice to make. If the bigger Pixel 3A is $479 I rather go for the bigger screen. I'm not an insane multitasker on my phone so I don't need the highest specs however it is concerning to me if the processor is slower than that of the gen 1 Pixel.
    05-03-2019 10:09 AM
    Regarding the rumored (probably true) processor of both phones, can someone confirm if this means it is a slower processer than the one found on the gen 1 Pixel? (Qualcomm Snapdragon 821). Am I understanding this correctly?

I currently have someone offering me a new Pixel 3 (not XL) for $500 and wondering what choice to make. If the bigger Pixel 3A is $479 I rather go for the bigger screen. I'm not an insane multitasker on my phone so I don't need the highest specs however it is concerning to me if the processor is slower than that of the gen 1 Pixel.
    In raw power they should be pretty much the similar in every day use, although benchmarks actually show that the 710 is better than the 821.
    For example, Xiaomi Mi 5s running the 821 scored 145,000 on Antutu, while the Xiaomi MI 8 SE with the 710 clocks in at 160,000.

The 710 has a GPU that's clocked faster, smaller semiconductor size (better battery efficiency), faster download speeds, and supports higher versions of OpenGL and DirectX than the 821. The 821 does support NX Bit security and has integrated LTE (not using separate antenna), but that's it.
    https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...21-msm8996-pro

We don't have reviews for the actual unit yet of course, but on paper the 3aXL would be a better buy than the OG Pixel XL. Based on existing devices running the 710 and their reviews, I'd expect it to be better than devices running 821, but just a bit lower than those running 835.

This review puts it like this: 835>710>821/820
    https://www.igeekphone.com/snapdrago...-between-both/

In fact based on this alone, I'd say the 3aXL is a better buy than the 2XL, simply because while the CPU power has a bit of a downgrade, the 3aXL does come with more RAM and longer update cycle (Pixels get 3 OS updates from launch).
    05-03-2019 09:59 PM
    I would say that it’s worth getting the Pixel 3 instead of the 3a, but the (price) differences between the 3 XL and 3a XL are large enough to justify getting the 3a XL.

But in that case you might as well get the Pixel 2 XL which is very cheap right now and is superior to the 3a XL in every way (apart from the display, which suffers from poor viewing angles and other problems because it is by LG and not Samsung)
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-04-2019 06:12 AM
    In raw power they should be pretty much the similar in every day use, although benchmarks actually show that the 710 is better than the 821.
    For example, Xiaomi Mi 5s running the 821 scored 145,000 on Antutu, while the Xiaomi MI 8 SE with the 710 clocks in at 160,000.

The 710 has a GPU that's clocked faster, smaller semiconductor size (better battery efficiency), faster download speeds, and supports higher versions of OpenGL and DirectX than the 821. The 821 does support NX Bit security and has integrated LTE (not using separate antenna), but that's it.
    https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...21-msm8996-pro

We don't have reviews for the actual unit yet of course, but on paper the 3aXL would be a better buy than the OG Pixel XL. Based on existing devices running the 710 and their reviews, I'd expect it to be better than devices running 821, but just a bit lower than those running 835.

This review puts it like this: 835>710>821/820
    https://www.igeekphone.com/snapdrago...-between-both/

In fact based on this alone, I'd say the 3aXL is a better buy than the 2XL, simply because while the CPU power has a bit of a downgrade, the 3aXL does come with more RAM and longer update cycle (Pixels get 3 OS updates from launch).
    This is very helpful thank you. I have been also considering purchasing a new Pixel 2 (not XL) that's going around for $359 but I've heard of bricking/speaker malfunction issues with this phone.

I would say that it’s worth getting the Pixel 3 instead of the 3a, but the (price) differences between the 3 XL and 3a XL are large enough to justify getting the 3a XL.

But in that case you might as well get the Pixel 2 XL which is very cheap right now and is superior to the 3a XL in every way (apart from the display, which suffers from poor viewing angles and other problems because it is by LG and not Samsung)
    I had some hands on experience with the 2XL and there was just something about the look and feel of the phone that I did not like. I'm not sure why but the screen always looked to me like it was engraved inwards (if that makes sense).

I'm wary of the Pixel 3 because I just don't like nor need a glass back phone (wireless charging is not important to me). I rather have something a bit more durable like metal or plastic. Unfortunately my Pixel 1 bricked randomly and thus my hunt for a new phone. I'll wait a bit to hear more on the reviews of the Pixel 3A / 3AXL to make a final decision.
    05-04-2019 11:24 AM
    Saw an article today wishing for the return of the Nexus business model. The writer wanted Google to sell mid range Pixel phones but built by different companies (like Samsung and Huawei) so that the phones would be running Google software but the hardware would be different and interesting as the different manufacturers pulled out all the stops to compete against each other under the Google Pixel name.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-06-2019 10:50 AM
    Saw an article today wishing for the return of the Nexus business model. The writer wanted Google to sell mid range Pixel phones but built by different companies (like Samsung and Huawei) so that the phones would be running Google software but the hardware would be different and interesting as the different manufacturers pulled out all the stops to compete against each other under the Google Pixel name.
    That is actually the one thing I hated about the Nexus line. No consistency in models. Even the Pixels had that problem until the Pixel 3. Actually even the Pixel 3s use different screens but at least it's the same builder.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    05-06-2019 11:14 AM
    Wow, that would be so phenomenal!
    05-06-2019 02:14 PM
    For me, I'd probably lose interest at that point. As Mike mention, the inconsistencies on any given year would drive someone like me up the wall.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-06-2019 09:08 PM
    For me, I'd probably lose interest at that point. As Mike mention, the inconsistencies on any given year would drive someone like me up the wall.
    And I also don't think the manufacturers would be pulling out all the stops competing with each other.
    05-06-2019 09:25 PM
    Now that the Pixel 3a series has come out, would anyone recommend getting a Pixel 3a XL to replace an old S7 Edge?

I’m tempted by the amazing camera, regular software updates and design...downsides would be plastic body, no IP rating, no curved screen and slightly weaker processor.

Any thoughts?
    05-07-2019 03:39 PM
    Now that the Pixel 3a series has come out, would anyone recommend getting a Pixel 3a XL to replace an old S7 Edge?

I’m tempted by the amazing camera, regular software updates and design...downsides would be plastic body, no IP rating, no curved screen and slightly weaker processor.

Any thoughts?
    Your answers will vary depending on user. It all depends what is important to you?

- Do you crave an amazing camera above any other feature? Get an SLR! jk. Yes this phone takes amazing pictures, but so do other phones even though they may not have the highest "rating"
    - Are regular software updates including security patches important to you? To me, yes they are especially when it comes at this price.
    - Plastic body? You lose water resistance and wireless charging. Are these vital for your day to day use? My point of view...plastic is better than glass back phone when it comes to durability and repair, so that takes more importance than the water resistance and wireless charging. Honestly I love that it's plastic though I prefer aluminum. I despise the fragility of high end phones.
    - Curved screen, while it does look beautiful I find that it makes the phone more fragile and it's easier to find a protector that covers the entire screen. While the design of the phone is a bit outdated, what you get in the rest of features sounds like a plus to me.
    - Weaker processor...that might be the downside but without hands on experience it's hard to determine how fluid the phone will be.

I would recommend waiting for reviews. Also wait for any possible hardware issues that usually accompany the new release of any phone to get resolved. If you can hold out long enough perhaps it will even go on sale in a few months once the Pixel 4 is released.

While I do love Pixel phones, I've personally encountered, as well as seen many threads in the Google community forums regarding devices that brick themselves. I have yet to see this happen as often on other brand devices. I may be exaggerating this point because of my own personal experience.

At this price though, I am definitely tempted to pick one up.
    Morty2264 and Golurk like this.
    05-07-2019 03:57 PM
    Your answers will vary depending on user. It all depends what is important to you?

- Do you crave an amazing camera above any other feature? Get an SLR! jk. Yes this phone takes amazing pictures, but so do other phones even though they may not have the highest "rating"
    - Are regular software updates including security patches important to you? To me, yes they are especially when it comes at this price.
    - Plastic body? You lose water resistance and wireless charging. Are these vital for your day to day use? My point of view...plastic is better than glass back phone when it comes to durability and repair, so that takes more importance than the water resistance and wireless charging. Honestly I love that it's plastic though I prefer aluminum. I despise the fragility of high end phones.
    - Curved screen, while it does look beautiful I find that it makes the phone more fragile and it's easier to find a protector that covers the entire screen. While the design of the phone is a bit outdated, what you get in the rest of features sounds like a plus to me.
    - Weaker processor...that might be the downside but without hands on experience it's hard to determine how fluid the phone will be.

I would recommend waiting for reviews. Also wait for any possible hardware issues that usually accompany the new release of any phone to get resolved. If you can hold out long enough perhaps it will even go on sale in a few months once the Pixel 4 is released.

While I do love Pixel phones, I've personally encountered, as well as seen many threads in the Google community forums regarding devices that brick themselves. I have yet to see this happen as often on other brand devices. I may be exaggerating this point because of my own personal experience.

At this price though, I am definitely tempted to pick one up.
    You're right: preference will vary from user to user. I've used a glass phone (Honor 8) and loved it - but the glass front and back and the curved screen did mean that tempered glass screen protectors wouldn't fit as well; and that I was more fearful of drops. For those reasons, I wouldn't mind a plastic hardware and a flat screen. Wireless charging isn't important to me - but, that said, it may be important to someone else and maybe they wouldn't be able to give that up. It's all in how you look at things!
    05-07-2019 06:00 PM
    This really represents a great value, and many who don't have the luxury of being able to afford upgrading regularly will really appreciate a reasonably affordable, well-performing phone with a great camera, and 3 years of software and security updates meaning the phone stays relevant for an extended period, not to mention they'll have multiple carriers offering it which will lend itself to being offered more competitively under promotion. The current $100 Google Store credit goes a pretty good ways too, as many upgrading might not have usb-c car charger, and may want a case, etc.

Overall this could really amp up sales and market share for Google (though it won't likely lead to their being even remotely competitive with Samsung or Apple - at least, not yet...).

The only area they really dropped the ball is in not having the 'purple-ish' XL model come in a special edition with a Paradise City ringtone - that would've been the Pixel 3-AXL Rose edition
    Morty2264 and J Dubbs like this.
    05-07-2019 08:54 PM
    This really represents a great value, and many who don't have the luxury of being able to afford upgrading regularly will really appreciate a reasonably affordable, well-performing phone with a great camera, and 3 years of software and security updates meaning the phone stays relevant for an extended period, not to mention they'll have multiple carriers offering it which will lend itself to being offered more competitively under promotion. The current $100 Google Store credit goes a pretty good ways too, as many upgrading might not have usb-c car charger, and may want a case, etc.

Overall this could really amp up sales and market share for Google (though it won't likely lead to their being even remotely competitive with Samsung or Apple - at least, not yet...).

The only area they really dropped the ball is in not having the 'purple-ish' XL model come in a special edition with a Paradise City ringtone - that would've been the Pixel 3-AXL Rose edition
    I too think it was an excellent marketing maneuver. I think I'd even consider buying one. Flagships are way too expensive nowadays and at least here, you are not sacrificing things like performance or camera.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-08-2019 06:54 AM
    I too think it was an excellent marketing maneuver. I think I'd even consider buying one. Flagships are way too expensive nowadays and at least here, you are not sacrificing things like performance or camera.
    Oh, I think you're absolutely sacrificing a good deal of performance - the question is, is it performance you really need. If I didn't play a lot of games on my device (3 XL), I'd choose the 3A XL over it in a heartbeat for the value as other than that lack in processing power, 90% of what I value in a phone is security, ensured updates, and lack of bloat. The only other shortcomings to me would be the display (I'd have to see it, but word 'on the street' is that while not dazzling it's still quite good) and the audio - easy to overcome when getting the phone for half the price of the alternative. I enjoy the peace of mind of having a high IP rating, but have never had water damage to any phone going back to the StarTac days, and the convenience of wireless charging really isn't a must-have for me. And candidly, I'd much prefer a quality plastic casing to glass for durability and repairability. With the 3 XL I feel I absolutely have to keep it in a case, which renders the aesthetic appeal of the glass back irrelevant.

Not saying it's for everyone, but I think the Pixel 3A / 3A XL hits more of the checkboxes for what people are looking for when looking for a sub $500 phone than its competition than the Pixel 3 / 3 XL does in its range. With multiple carriers selling these, this will be the point we look back to in a few years and say either "that was the tipping point where Google transformed into one of the premier phone OEM's" or "that was Google's 'Hail Mary' effort" - market adoption of these devices (not saying they have to be a blockbuster on generation 1) will likely be a large factor in determining Google's - and Alphabet's - future investment and whether Pixels are looked to continue on as a profit center or simply a vehicle to steer and focus the Android platform.

[EDIT] The omission of free, automated full resolution storage is a pretty big difference that might still lead me to go to the 'premium' over the new models, but for those who aren't directly replacing a prior Pixel device, they aren't losing anything they didn't already have. Effectively, it's not a shortcoming compared to competitors, but rather just a 'premium' feature that isn't included (and none of its competitors outside of the higher Pixels have it regardless). They do promote unlimited 'high resolution' storage, but... unless that's changed, that's free for anyone who signs up for a (free) Google account.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-08-2019 10:00 AM
    [EDIT] The omission of free, automated full resolution storage is a pretty big difference that might still lead me to go to the 'premium' over the new models, but for those who aren't directly replacing a prior Pixel device, they aren't losing anything they didn't already have. Effectively, it's not a shortcoming compared to competitors, but rather just a 'premium' feature that isn't included (and none of its competitors outside of the higher Pixels have it regardless). They do promote unlimited 'high resolution' storage, but... unless that's changed, that's free for anyone who signs up for a (free) Google account.
    I completely forgot about this point. Has this been specifically confirmed? Pixel 3A devices won't have the full resolution storage? I've yet to see any "review" video talk about this. Still too soon for a in depth review of the device I suppose.
    05-08-2019 11:52 AM
    Thanks for your tips guys! I will look at more reviews and information

Only thing I’ll probably miss from my Samsung (apart from a few software things) is water/dust resistance...it does give me peace of mind if I’m using my phone in the rain. I use a case so the expensive metal/glass build won’t be missed that much, and I don’t use wireless charging.

Processor wise the SND 670 is ever so slightly less powerful than the Exynos 8890 but is still somehow auto-high settings for games like PUBG and is more efficient. The 6 inch OLED display (without any visibility issues) is great as well as the stereo speakers. The bezels aren’t too big but aren’t slim either, so not quite sure about the phone’s ease of use.

The true highlights for me are the Google software and camera (Android 9 Pie and regular updates). As good as the rear camera is on my S7 Edge (the autofocus in particular) low light photos are full of noise and having Night Sight would be much better/convenient than always using Pro Mode. Also the 5MP selfie camera is and the Pixel’s high-red zoom should be fantastic as well...

..only things that we’ll have to wait to see is any performance slowdowns.
    05-08-2019 12:37 PM
    Losing unlimited Original Quality storage on the 3a makes sense to me. For a phone half the price of a flagship Pixel, it seems reasonable to encourage users to pay a couple of bucks a month to expand their Google Drive storage if they want to keep their original quality photos backed up in Google Photos. I still feel that the High Quality photos are virtually indistinguishable in terms of quality, though!

Another tradeoff that I haven't seen mentioned is that since the 3a doesn't have a Visual Core, all of the photo processing has to be done by the main CPU -- which means increased battery usage. So if you're on vacation and plan to take a ton of pictures with your 3a, make sure you bring a powerbank!
    05-08-2019 12:59 PM
    I completely forgot about this point. Has this been specifically confirmed? Pixel 3A devices won't have the full resolution storage? I've yet to see any "review" video talk about this. Still too soon for a in depth review of the device I suppose.
    From the product page fine print:

"²Google Photos offers free unlimited online storage for all photos and videos uploaded in high-quality. Photos and videos uploaded in high-quality may be compressed or resized. Requires Google Account. Data rates may apply. g.co/help/photostorage"
    05-08-2019 01:17 PM
    From the product page fine print:

"²Google Photos offers free unlimited online storage for all photos and videos uploaded in high-quality. Photos and videos uploaded in high-quality may be compressed or resized. Requires Google Account. Data rates may apply. g.co/help/photostorage"
    Thank you for that. I just compared it to the regular Pixel 3 fine print:

"²Free unlimited online original-quality storage for all photos and videos uploaded to Google Photos from Pixel 3 through 1/31/2022. Photos and videos uploaded before 1/31/2022 will remain free at original-quality. Requires Google Account. Data rates may apply. Visit g.co/help/photostorage."

So is it possible to get the Pixel 3A and then pay for the ability to save original image quality? Though I guess at that point maybe purchasing the higher end phone makes more sense? Not sure.
    05-08-2019 03:46 PM
    Thank you for that. I just compared it to the regular Pixel 3 fine print:

"²Free unlimited online original-quality storage for all photos and videos uploaded to Google Photos from Pixel 3 through 1/31/2022. Photos and videos uploaded before 1/31/2022 will remain free at original-quality. Requires Google Account. Data rates may apply. Visit g.co/help/photostorage."

So is it possible to get the Pixel 3A and then pay for the ability to save original image quality? Though I guess at that point maybe purchasing the higher end phone makes more sense? Not sure.
    You can change the quality at which Photos stores them in settings - there's no additional cost for the ability to have them backed up like that, but there's a limit to the amount of storage you get for free. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken, but if memory serves, anyone signing up for a Google account (free) - which is required for any android phone, or to use Google Photos - gets unlimited 'high resolution' storage that doesn't count against your free included Google Drive storage. Yes, you can pay for additional storage, but that could be done with any device.
    05-08-2019 04:07 PM
    pixel 2xl has better build, notification light, water resistance and is cheaper than 3a xl. How is the 3a xl an upgrade to the 2 xl?
    05-08-2019 05:06 PM
    pixel 2xl has better build, notification light, water resistance and is cheaper than 3a xl. How is the 3a xl an upgrade to the 2 xl?
    The processor and the gpu. The 670 is almost or is equal to the 835 and the gpu is a lot better. Plus you will get more updates since the the 2xl is already 2 years old
    05-08-2019 06:09 PM
    Oh, I think you're absolutely sacrificing a good deal of performance - the question is, is it performance you really need. If I didn't play a lot of games on my device (3 XL), I'd choose the 3A XL over it in a heartbeat for the value as other than that lack in processing power, 90% of what I value in a phone is security, ensured updates, and lack of bloat. The only other shortcomings to me would be the display (I'd have to see it, but word 'on the street' is that while not dazzling it's still quite good) and the audio - easy to overcome when getting the phone for half the price of the alternative. I enjoy the peace of mind of having a high IP rating, but have never had water damage to any phone going back to the StarTac days, and the convenience of wireless charging really isn't a must-have for me. And candidly, I'd much prefer a quality plastic casing to glass for durability and repairability. With the 3 XL I feel I absolutely have to keep it in a case, which renders the aesthetic appeal of the glass back irrelevant.

Not saying it's for everyone, but I think the Pixel 3A / 3A XL hits more of the checkboxes for what people are looking for when looking for a sub $500 phone than its competition than the Pixel 3 / 3 XL does in its range. With multiple carriers selling these, this will be the point we look back to in a few years and say either "that was the tipping point where Google transformed into one of the premier phone OEM's" or "that was Google's 'Hail Mary' effort" - market adoption of these devices (not saying they have to be a blockbuster on generation 1) will likely be a large factor in determining Google's - and Alphabet's - future investment and whether Pixels are looked to continue on as a profit center or simply a vehicle to steer and focus the Android platform.

You do have a point about performance and some other bells and whistles that other Pixel devices (flagships) have over the Pixel 3a line. I think if I never had a phone with an IP 68 rating, I wouldn't feel as finicky about buying a phone that didn't have a rating... But after using my Pixel 2, I feel that a high IP rating is a must-have.
    05-08-2019 06:40 PM
    You do have a point about performance and some other bells and whistles that other Pixel devices (flagships) have over the Pixel 3a line. I think if I never had a phone with an IP 68 rating, I wouldn't feel as finicky about buying a phone that didn't have a rating... But after using my Pixel 2, I feel that a high IP rating is a must-have.
    If you've ever had water damage to a phone, I can certainly understand that perspective. The fact that it doesn't have an IP rating is likely tied in part to the associated cost it would add. A number of phones without any official rating have been shown on YouTube to be just fine after submersion in water - though with a 3.5mm headphone jack, the 3a might have a harder time.

At a low price point they had to leave a few things out, and I suspect they felt that while it's a nice thing to have their target audience wouldn't prefer it over what it would have had to replace to maintain the price. Given the success the OnePlus 6 had with no rating, I don't necessarily disagree, though it might be a deal breaker for some.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    05-08-2019 07:08 PM
172 12345 ...