05-15-2019 12:45 PM
172 ... 567
tools
    Yep, that's the 'case' for most people - at which point the appearance a design done in glass (3) or similarly in plastic (3a) becomes nearly indistiguishable.

The big difference is that it never bothered me to carry a phone with a plastic back without a case, whereas I wouldn't dream of it with a glass-backed
    It sucks that most went to glass but you'll hear complaints that plastic doesn't feel premium. It's absurd really.
    J Dubbs and johnnyshinta like this.
    05-13-2019 09:35 AM
    It sucks that most went to glass but you'll hear complaints that plastic doesn't feel premium. It's absurd really.
    Part of it likely has to do with the weight of the device when built with heavier materials like glass or metal, with greater heft often being perceived as a an indicator of quality. Maybe they should have taken a page out of Beats Headphones' playbook and put metal plates inside just to give off that perception
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-13-2019 09:57 AM
    Part of it likely has to do with the weight of the device when built with heavier materials like glass or metal, with greater heft often being perceived as a an indicator of quality. Maybe they should have taken a page out of Beats Headphones' playbook and put metal plates inside just to give off that perception
    Glass feels slicker and looks more expensive....not that I'm promoting it. I personally hate glass which is why I went with Ceramic version of the S10+
    Much more durable so I can get away a slimmer case.

I think it's great that Pixel is providing a plastic option....too bad we won't see it on the flagships. The solution to keep everyone happy would be offer plastic or glass options.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-13-2019 10:05 AM
    Apple phones are heavy and because of that, they do feel like a more premium device. I've been using a Pixel 3 lately and the difference is pretty shocking.
    05-13-2019 12:09 PM
    Thing is that most people with metal/glass phones use cases that mean you can’t feel the metal sides most of the time either, so much of the ‘expensive feel’ is lost when you use a case. The pixel 3a series should feel no different with a case on that more expensive phones.
    Jlharper016 likes this.
    05-13-2019 12:17 PM
    so much of the ‘expensive feel’ is lost when you use a case.
    Oh man, I see sooooooo many phones (mostly iPhones) in butt-ugly cases.
    05-13-2019 12:22 PM
    Thing is that most people with metal/glass phones use cases that prevent wireless charging and you can’t feel the metal sides most of the time either, so much of the ‘expensive feel’ is lost when you use a case. The pixel 3a series should feel no different with a case on that more expensive phones.
    Most cases allow wireless charging
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    05-13-2019 02:19 PM
    Ok, my bad (most protective and battery cases still prevent it)

Doesn’t change the original point I made though, which is much of the expensive feel of the phone is lost as you can rarely feel the metal sides and glass back with most cases.
    05-13-2019 02:24 PM
    Doesn’t change the original point I made though, which is much of the expensive feel of the phone is lost as you can rarely feel the metal sides and glass back with most cases.
    I'm always hoping for a nice real-leather case that's not wallet/folio style, but they're virtually nonexistent for Android phones. It's always fake leather using TPU or hard plastic.
    05-13-2019 06:51 PM
    I'm always hoping for a nice real-leather case that's not wallet/folio style, but they're virtually nonexistent for Android phones. It's always fake leather using TPU or hard plastic.
    Nomad makes leather cases for the Pixel 3 and 3 XL, you might let them know you'd like them for the 3A. The same with Bellroy, they also makes leather cases for the Pixel 3. With the 3A being so new, hopefully someone will make a genuine leather case for it.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-13-2019 09:36 PM
    Nomad makes leather cases for the Pixel 3 and 3 XL, you might let them know you'd like them for the 3A. The same with Bellroy, they also makes leather cases for the Pixel 3. With the 3A being so new, hopefully someone will make a genuine leather case for it.
    Thanks, that looks sweet! I currently have the wooden back Moment lens case, though, but if I didn't, I'd go for that in a heartbeat!
    05-13-2019 11:54 PM
    I have the Bellroy for the 3 XL and can definitely attest to the quality. If you're wanting a 'premium feel' and have your phone in a case, the phone body material becomes irrelevant but the leather... ah, the leather...

Given the lower pricepoint making them an effective option to a much larger demographic, along with the fact that the 3a and 3a XL are going to be additionally directly distributed by Sprint and T-Mobile (effectively doubling the number of consumers who can acquire them directly at a carrier store), I expect to see at least as wide an array of aftermarket accessories, cases, etc - and likely more - produced for them. Shouldn't be long till we sell them.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-14-2019 09:32 AM
    Having a non-wallet/folio leather phone case must feel nice
    05-14-2019 12:32 PM
    Yep, that's the 'case' for most people - at which point the appearance a design done in glass (3) or similarly in plastic (3a) becomes nearly indistiguishable.

The big difference is that it never bothered me to carry a phone with a plastic back without a case, whereas I wouldn't dream of it with a glass-backed
    I agree with you. And I see what you did there with "case!"
    mumfoau likes this.
    05-14-2019 02:06 PM
    Thing is that most people with metal/glass phones use cases that prevent wireless charging and you can’t feel the metal sides most of the time either, so much of the ‘expensive feel’ is lost when you use a case. The pixel 3a series should feel no different with a case on that more expensive phones.
    The case thing I agree with. The wireless charging I don't since I've never had a case stop me from using it.
    05-14-2019 02:32 PM
    I’d already conceded that error and edited my post accordingly.
    05-14-2019 02:35 PM
    I’d already conceded that error and edited my post accordingly.
    Not when I quoted you
    05-14-2019 04:10 PM
    (Facepalm)

Only the first part was meant to be used with ‘already’ ������������

Sorry if it wasn’t clear. Glad to know I was wrong about how most cases can be used with wireless charging, as I sometimes use wireless charging myself ������

EDIT: Perhaps unsurprisingly, AC doesn’t recognise iOS emojis lol
    05-14-2019 04:49 PM
    Ok, my bad (most protective and battery cases still prevent it)
    They don't actively PREVENT it. It has to do with 3 factors: case thickness, phone backplate thickness, and the construction of the charger. For a wireless charger to work with current tech, there has to be less than 0.6cm distance between the two coils (charger and phone). If the combination of the three factors above cause the distance to increase beyond that, then the phone won't wirelessly charge reliably. The only think I know that actually blocks wireless charging are metal plates.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-14-2019 06:51 PM
    They don't actively PREVENT it. It has to do with 3 factors: case thickness, phone backplate thickness, and the construction of the charger. For a wireless charger to work with current tech, there has to be less than 0.6cm distance between the two coils (charger and phone). If the combination of the three factors above cause the distance to increase beyond that, then the phone won't wirelessly charge reliably. The only think I know that actually blocks wireless charging are metal plates.
    Energy gets induced or transfered to the metal back of the phone and never makes it to the coils so in essence it absorbs the energy.
    05-14-2019 10:18 PM
    I was looking to upgrade to one with the T-Mobile promo. I have an LG G7 I rarely use so this would make the Pixel 3a free for me.
    Laura Knotek and Morty2264 like this.
    05-15-2019 02:54 AM
    I was looking to upgrade to one with the T-Mobile promo. I have an LG G7 I rarely use so this would make the Pixel 3a free for me.
    That would be a good option for you!
    VDub2174 and Jlharper016 like this.
    05-15-2019 12:45 PM
172 ... 567