Does anybody have interest in these 3a Pixels?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll be the counterpoint here and say that the 3a line could be compelling. Even though the 3 and 3 XL have been out for a while, the big discounts you're seeing require you to go through Verizon, while buying the phones straight from Google is still pretty pricey (even with the fairly frequent $150-200 discounts). If they price the phones around $400, that could be a compelling alternative to OnePlus, Nokia, and others in that midrange. For me, the big benefits of a Pixel 3a over those phones would be the Google Camera (that would be the first 3 big benefits, since the camera is hugely important to me) and the reliably prompt updates for 3 years. I still don't care about whether a phone has bezels or not, so that part of the design doesn't faze me, and I also still find the obsession with slippery "premium" materials like glass or aluminum somewhat misguided (since it increases the risk of drops, and therefore requires me to put a case on the phone anyway, thus hiding said premium materials).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My opinion/analysis of the Pixel 3a:

1. Design: Full plastic/polycarbonate body isn’t anything special. No special effect of gradient either. It has significant bezels around the screen as well (top and bottom)...essentially a budget phone design.

2. Camera: Slightly different in terms of megapixels (12 vs 12.2) but according to many sources the camera will be of similar quality to the one on the Pixel 3, so at worst the camera will be mid-range and at best Not sure whether it will have OIS...

3. Display: A 5.6/6 inch Full HD OLED display seems to be the reality...while the resolution isn’t anything special it’s essentially a similar display and resolution to the one on the Pixel 3, so I’d say that the display is probably going to be premium.

4. Audio: No stereo speakers should be present but neither are they expected. The speakers and audio quality will probably be mid-range but there is a headphone jack :)

5. Other features: Fingerprint scanner, pure Android with guaranteed, regular updates. IDK about facial recognition and water resistance is unlikely, so overall mid-range or at worst budget.

6. Chipset: Snapdragon 670 on 3a and 710 on 3a XL...both chipsets are great/efficient for everyday use and casual multitasking with 4/6 GB of RAM...should handle most games well apart from intensive ones like PUBG.

7. Battery: 3000mAh for the 3a and 3500mAh for the 3a XL is pretty average...probably means all-day or just under a day of battery life...so mid-range.

For a price between $400 and $500 dollars I don’t think it’s worth it, with a dated design, plastic body etc. For the same price you could get a Nokia (HMD) phone that has a better metal (and sometimes metal/glass) build/design, same software and updates (Android One), has more bells and whistles, a better battery and reasonably good cameras.

The camera may not operate the same as the regular Pixels due to processing power and do we know if it has a dedicated SOC?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The camera may not operate the same as the regular Pixels due to processing power and do we know if it has a dedicated SOC?

I figured that they'd be on par with the Pixel 2 line (i.e., lacking some of the exclusive Pixel 3 features like the AI-enhanced digital zoom, but including Night Sight and the other features that the Pixel 2 gained).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Maybe hardware wise but having had and still have every one of the brands you mentioned I don't see anything missing in the software that can't be added.
Having said that I wouldn't buy the 3a.

Multiple floating windows for larger phones. Google had to go to Q to add this, and it can only do one window at a time.
Music controls on the AOD (rumored that Q will get it)
Agenda/Calendar events on the AOD
Pin Notes/Reminders to AOD
Change recents view type (grid, list, stack, carousel)
change size of volume steps each rocker press does
control each app volume independently of each other and the master media volume
Alter Audio Focus setup
Per app specification on if audio goes to headphone or loudspeaker
Native screen recorder with system sounds recording.

This can be done without root on a Samsung using no third party apps, just Samsung apps. Pixels would need an entire OS update for this. Not even sure if third party apps exist for these.

That said, even if I'm after a Pixel, the Pixel 3 has decreased in price now. So why is there a reason to get this "midrange" one?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Multiple floating windows for larger phones. Google had to go to Q to add this, and it can only do one window at a time.
Music controls on the AOD (rumored that Q will get it)
Agenda/Calendar events on the AOD
Pin Notes/Reminders to AOD
Change recents view type (grid, list, stack, carousel)
change size of volume steps each rocker press does
control each app volume independently of each other and the master media volume
Alter Audio Focus setup
Per app specification on if audio goes to headphone or loudspeaker
Native screen recorder with system sounds recording.

This can be done without root on a Samsung using no third party apps, just Samsung apps. Pixels would need an entire OS update for this. Not even sure if third party apps exist for these.

That said, even if I'm after a Pixel, the Pixel 3 has decreased in price now. So why is there a reason to get this "midrange" one?

That's quite a list you put together.
I'd have to look at those features to see if they are all missing as indicated or can't be worked around. First and foremost though, I'd have to see if they add any value to my life. I don't see anything off the top of my head that jumps out at me as being essential. For my money, just because something exists doesn't mean it's useful....maybe to someone else it is. That's true of hardware and software. Having both the S10+ and Pixel 3 XL I have yet to see a feature on the Samsung that I actually find useful that I can't get on the Pixel except Samsung Pay or Edge Panels. There's a few features on the Pixel that I cant get on the Samsung as well but nothing I can't live without.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I figured that they'd be on par with the Pixel 2 line (i.e., lacking some of the exclusive Pixel 3 features like the AI-enhanced digital zoom, but including Night Sight and the other features that the Pixel 2 gained).

I'm referring to the hardware, especially the secondary SOC. I'm wondering if the 3a has it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That's quite a list you put together.
I'd have to look at those features to see if they are all missing as indicated or can't be worked around. First and foremost though, I'd have to see if they add any value to my life. I don't see anything off the top of my head that jumps out at me as being essential. For my money, just because something exists doesn't mean it's useful....maybe to someone else it is. That's true of hardware and software. Having both the S10+ and Pixel 3 XL I have yet to see a feature on the Samsung that I actually find useful that I can't get on the Pixel except Samsung Pay or Edge Panels. There's a few features on the Pixel that I cant get on the Samsung as well but nothing I can't live without.
That's the point in the end really. The missing features only matter if you find them useful. I'm just answering the part on what features Samsung has that Pixels can't somehow get (without root at least).
I do however appreciate that Samsung has these because I do include them in my setup.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If the below rumored pricing comes to be a reality I'll definitely consider getting the 3A XL if it keeps the same look as the 3A. Right now I'm stuck waiting for this or I'm going with the galaxy s10e.

I'm actually excited about having a plastic back phone. Cheaper to repair. If they advise the back will be removable with ease I'll do backflips (not counting on this though).

The Pixel 3a pricing is rumored to start at $400 and the larger Pixel 3a XL will start at $479.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's the point in the end really. The missing features only matter if you find them useful. I'm just answering the part on what features Samsung has that Pixels can't somehow get (without root at least).
I do however appreciate that Samsung has these because I do include them in my setup.

That's why you get 2 different experiences, some dont want all the bells and whistles and prefer a clean stock experience , while some want every feature that's available on top of that stock experience. It's like with ice cream some want sprinkles,gummy bears,almonds on it and others want just plain vanilla.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's why you get 2 different experiences, some dont want all the bells and whistles and prefer a clean stock experience , while some want every feature that's available on top of that stock experience. It's like with ice cream some want sprinkles,gummy bears,almonds on it and others want just plain vanilla.

Some people like Italian food, some like Greek....not sure about Albanian

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

Just so we're clear, Haagen Dazs Vanilla has only five ingredients and is the closest experience to nirvana that a living man can ever know ... just sayin' ... ain't nothin' like clean, elegant simplicity.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just so we're clear, Haagen Dazs Vanilla has only five ingredients and is the closest experience to nirvana that a living man can ever know ... just sayin' ... ain't nothin' like clean, elegant simplicity.

Ironically Haagen Daz is a made up name and originated in Brooklyn NY

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hahaha, ain't that the truth!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz