Does anybody have interest in these 3a Pixels?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Lol! Alright I'll turn us back on topic ..

I think this 3a series may be a what the brand needs at this point. While I think the timing is waaayyy earlier, ultimately I would've expected something like this phone at some point. Help placate the "headphone jack!" population, even though the tech is dying ...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Lol! Alright I'll turn us back on topic ..

I think this 3a series may be a what the brand needs at this point. While I think the timing is waaayyy earlier, ultimately I would've expected something like this phone at some point. Help placate the "headphone jack!" population, even though the tech is dying ...

So it looks like the "A" series if successful will most like be a midyear release for future iterations.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
So it looks like the "A" series if successful will most like be a midyear release for future iterations.

That approach may be the way to give both audiences what they want ... the group that wants the best Google experience and the group that wants a more Android inspired experience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I kinda wish the designation was "x" instead of "a." Because then they could've brought back the cool X on the back of the phone, from the Nexus days. After all, this midranger is essentially bringing the Nexus back!:p

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I kinda wish the designation was "x" instead of "a." Because then they could've brought back the cool X on the back of the phone, from the Nexus days. After all, this midranger is essentially bringing the Nexus back!:p
I hope your right :)
That would been better option the X

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I never thought of it that way... Amazing! And now I wish they had put an "X" on the back of their phones! Ah, my Nexus 5... I miss those days.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My opinion/analysis of the Pixel 3a:

1. Design: Full plastic/polycarbonate body isn’t anything special. No special effect of gradient either. It has significant bezels around the screen as well (top and bottom)...essentially a budget phone design.

2. Camera: Slightly different in terms of megapixels (12 vs 12.2) but according to many sources the camera will be of similar quality to the one on the Pixel 3, so at worst the camera will be mid-range and at best Not sure whether it will have OIS...

3. Display: A 5.6/6 inch Full HD OLED display seems to be the reality...while the resolution isn’t anything special it’s essentially a similar display and resolution to the one on the Pixel 3, so I’d say that the display is probably going to be premium.

4. Audio: No stereo speakers should be present but neither are they expected. The speakers and audio quality will probably be mid-range but there is a headphone jack :)

5. Other features: Fingerprint scanner, pure Android with guaranteed, regular updates. IDK about facial recognition and water resistance is unlikely, so overall mid-range or at worst budget.

6. Chipset: Snapdragon 670 on 3a and 710 on 3a XL...both chipsets are great/efficient for everyday use and casual multitasking with 4/6 GB of RAM...should handle most games well apart from intensive ones like PUBG.

7. Battery: 3000mAh for the 3a and 3500mAh for the 3a XL is pretty average...probably means all-day or just under a day of battery life...so mid-range.

For a price between $400 and $500 dollars I don’t think it’s worth it, with a dated design, plastic body etc. For the same price you could get a Nokia (HMD) phone that has a better metal (and sometimes metal/glass) build/design, same software and updates (Android One), has more bells and whistles, a better battery and reasonably good cameras.

I was holding out for a while but in the end decided last week on the nokia 7.1. Loving what it gives you for the price. Speakerphone is weak but all other features and of course the construction made it the right device for me.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the rumored (probably true) processor of both phones, can someone confirm if this means it is a slower processer than the one found on the gen 1 Pixel? (Qualcomm Snapdragon 821). Am I understanding this correctly?

I currently have someone offering me a new Pixel 3 (not XL) for $500 and wondering what choice to make. If the bigger Pixel 3A is $479 I rather go for the bigger screen. I'm not an insane multitasker on my phone so I don't need the highest specs however it is concerning to me if the processor is slower than that of the gen 1 Pixel.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the rumored (probably true) processor of both phones, can someone confirm if this means it is a slower processer than the one found on the gen 1 Pixel? (Qualcomm Snapdragon 821). Am I understanding this correctly?

I currently have someone offering me a new Pixel 3 (not XL) for $500 and wondering what choice to make. If the bigger Pixel 3A is $479 I rather go for the bigger screen. I'm not an insane multitasker on my phone so I don't need the highest specs however it is concerning to me if the processor is slower than that of the gen 1 Pixel.

In raw power they should be pretty much the similar in every day use, although benchmarks actually show that the 710 is better than the 821.
For example, Xiaomi Mi 5s running the 821 scored 145,000 on Antutu, while the Xiaomi MI 8 SE with the 710 clocks in at 160,000.

The 710 has a GPU that's clocked faster, smaller semiconductor size (better battery efficiency), faster download speeds, and supports higher versions of OpenGL and DirectX than the 821. The 821 does support NX Bit security and has integrated LTE (not using separate antenna), but that's it.
https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapdragon-710-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-821-msm8996-pro

We don't have reviews for the actual unit yet of course, but on paper the 3aXL would be a better buy than the OG Pixel XL. Based on existing devices running the 710 and their reviews, I'd expect it to be better than devices running 821, but just a bit lower than those running 835.

This review puts it like this: 835>710>821/820
https://www.igeekphone.com/snapdrag...ll-know-what-are-the-difference-between-both/

In fact based on this alone, I'd say the 3aXL is a better buy than the 2XL, simply because while the CPU power has a bit of a downgrade, the 3aXL does come with more RAM and longer update cycle (Pixels get 3 OS updates from launch).

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I would say that it’s worth getting the Pixel 3 instead of the 3a, but the (price) differences between the 3 XL and 3a XL are large enough to justify getting the 3a XL.

But in that case you might as well get the Pixel 2 XL which is very cheap right now and is superior to the 3a XL in every way (apart from the display, which suffers from poor viewing angles and other problems because it is by LG and not Samsung)

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
In raw power they should be pretty much the similar in every day use, although benchmarks actually show that the 710 is better than the 821.
For example, Xiaomi Mi 5s running the 821 scored 145,000 on Antutu, while the Xiaomi MI 8 SE with the 710 clocks in at 160,000.

The 710 has a GPU that's clocked faster, smaller semiconductor size (better battery efficiency), faster download speeds, and supports higher versions of OpenGL and DirectX than the 821. The 821 does support NX Bit security and has integrated LTE (not using separate antenna), but that's it.
https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapdragon-710-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-821-msm8996-pro

We don't have reviews for the actual unit yet of course, but on paper the 3aXL would be a better buy than the OG Pixel XL. Based on existing devices running the 710 and their reviews, I'd expect it to be better than devices running 821, but just a bit lower than those running 835.

This review puts it like this: 835>710>821/820
https://www.igeekphone.com/snapdrag...ll-know-what-are-the-difference-between-both/

In fact based on this alone, I'd say the 3aXL is a better buy than the 2XL, simply because while the CPU power has a bit of a downgrade, the 3aXL does come with more RAM and longer update cycle (Pixels get 3 OS updates from launch).

This is very helpful thank you. I have been also considering purchasing a new Pixel 2 (not XL) that's going around for $359 but I've heard of bricking/speaker malfunction issues with this phone.

I would say that it’s worth getting the Pixel 3 instead of the 3a, but the (price) differences between the 3 XL and 3a XL are large enough to justify getting the 3a XL.

But in that case you might as well get the Pixel 2 XL which is very cheap right now and is superior to the 3a XL in every way (apart from the display, which suffers from poor viewing angles and other problems because it is by LG and not Samsung)

I had some hands on experience with the 2XL and there was just something about the look and feel of the phone that I did not like. I'm not sure why but the screen always looked to me like it was engraved inwards (if that makes sense).

I'm wary of the Pixel 3 because I just don't like nor need a glass back phone (wireless charging is not important to me). I rather have something a bit more durable like metal or plastic. Unfortunately my Pixel 1 bricked randomly and thus my hunt for a new phone. I'll wait a bit to hear more on the reviews of the Pixel 3A / 3AXL to make a final decision.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Saw an article today wishing for the return of the Nexus business model. The writer wanted Google to sell mid range Pixel phones but built by different companies (like Samsung and Huawei) so that the phones would be running Google software but the hardware would be different and interesting as the different manufacturers pulled out all the stops to compete against each other under the Google Pixel name.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Saw an article today wishing for the return of the Nexus business model. The writer wanted Google to sell mid range Pixel phones but built by different companies (like Samsung and Huawei) so that the phones would be running Google software but the hardware would be different and interesting as the different manufacturers pulled out all the stops to compete against each other under the Google Pixel name.

That is actually the one thing I hated about the Nexus line. No consistency in models. Even the Pixels had that problem until the Pixel 3. Actually even the Pixel 3s use different screens but at least it's the same builder.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Wow, that would be so phenomenal!

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

For me, I'd probably lose interest at that point. As Mike mention, the inconsistencies on any given year would drive someone like me up the wall.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
For me, I'd probably lose interest at that point. As Mike mention, the inconsistencies on any given year would drive someone like me up the wall.

And I also don't think the manufacturers would be pulling out all the stops competing with each other.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Now that the Pixel 3a series has come out, would anyone recommend getting a Pixel 3a XL to replace an old S7 Edge?

I’m tempted by the amazing camera, regular software updates and design...downsides would be plastic body, no IP rating, no curved screen and slightly weaker processor.

Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy