05-14-2019 02:44 PM
86 ... 234
tools
    if i paid full price for the Pixel 3 like i did upon release for the Pixel 2 (which i loved) i might feel cheated.

i also told myself after seeing all the Pixel 2 discounts that I'd wait for a discount before buying a newer version.

regardless, i had *no* intention of getting a Pixel 3 -- until the Fi anniversary (just before 3a's release) discounted them 50%.

that said, had i paid retail for the 3 like i did the 2 instead of the 50% i did pay for the 3, I'd be miffed to say the least
    05-13-2019 05:06 PM
    Read a couple times trying to find just something that was true in your post. But could not find anything.

The camera processing that is done on the PVC is done on the DSP just like how Google does it on the first Pixel.

Google still gives you unlimited uncompressed quality with Google photos. You might be confusing with raw.

You might try again.
    Thanks for the fact-checking effort -- I'm always looking to make sure I'm not saying anything incorrect!

You're correct in that I mistakenly thought photo processing would be done by the main CPU itself -- the phone does have the Spectra ISP (although this is integrated into the SoC, rather than being a completely separate Visual Core, so my saying the processing would be done by the main CPU isn't all that far off the mark). But I have read from a few sources that the Spectra ISP on the 3a is not as powerful as the Visual Core. Google says that the difference shouldn't be very noticeable, but I suspect that's a bit of PR handwaving. I'll be more inclined to believe that when I've seen some head-to-head comparisons of camera performance -- specifically with pictures that require a lot of processing (i.e., Portrait Mode, Night Sight, etc.).

I do know the difference between Google Photos Original Quality and High Quality photos, as well as what RAW means. This has nothing to do with RAW. It's clear that the 3a will be like any other Android device that's not a flagship Pixel -- unlimited High Quality photos, not Original Quality. https://www.pcworld.com/article/3393...s-storage.html

Shall I try again?
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    05-13-2019 06:33 PM
    if i paid full price for the Pixel 3 like i did upon release for the Pixel 2 (which i loved) i might feel cheated.

i also told myself after seeing all the Pixel 2 discounts that I'd wait for a discount before buying a newer version.

regardless, i had *no* intention of getting a Pixel 3 -- until the Fi anniversary (just before 3a's release) discounted them 50%.

that said, had i paid retail for the 3 like i did the 2 instead of the 50% i did pay for the 3, I'd be miffed to say the least
    I would have felt the same but I bought my 3 xl on Black Friday with a $400 discount. Only thing I'm pissed about is the bootloader being locked because it's a Verizon variant.

At least Google has the game handled on new versions of Android.
    05-13-2019 07:30 PM
    I'm very happy with my new Google pixel 3 phone which I got for $400 on a recent birthday special at Google. The pixel 3a is probably a very good phone, but I got an even better one for the same price.
    05-13-2019 11:39 PM

Not sure why anyone would feel cheated but everyone has the right to an opinion. I bought a 3XL at full price and I have no regrets. I knew what I was getting into and I gladly paid the price for buying it early. The fact that roughly six months later a mid-range phone comes out with some of its features doesn't change the way I feel because I wouldn't buy the mid ranger. Not because anything's wrong with it. It's just not something I would buy. If someone feels cheated because they bought a top tier Pixel at full price, they probably shouldn't have bought it to begin with.
    05-13-2019 11:46 PM
    A few things to remember about the camera on the 3a:

1. There's no Visual Core, so all of the photo processing is done by the main CPU. This means the processing will take longer for each shot, and probably will bog the phone down if you're taking a lot of pictures in succession.

2. Since the CPU is doing all of the work, this will also probably increase overall battery usage if you're taking lots of pictures, so any improvement in battery size over the flagship 3 would be offset.

3. From what I've seen everywhere, you won't get unlimited Original Quality photo storage on Google Photos -- only High Quality (which is still fine, but if you're a real photo enthusiast, you'll probably want the Original Quality).

4. Overall performance for the phone sounds very​ midrange, so you'd have to be prepared for somewhat sluggish app opening/switching, etc.

I think all those things are a fair trade off for a phone that is half the price of the Pixel 3 and 3 XL.
    05-14-2019 03:45 AM
    I think all those things are a fair trade off for a phone that is half the price of the Pixel 3 and 3 XL.
    Yes, absolutely! My point was that it is a trade-off, and therefore I don't think anyone should feel "cheated." This is by no means the very same phone as the Pixel 3/3 XL at suddenly half the price -- but it's still a tremendous value!
    05-14-2019 03:58 AM
    Yes, absolutely! My point was that it is a trade-off, and therefore I don't think anyone should feel "cheated." This is by no means the very same phone as the Pixel 3/3 XL at suddenly half the price -- but it's still a tremendous value!
    Exactly....I don't understand the comparison or the remorse. Many expressed that they wanted a Mid Ranger.....Google delivered. I guess some feel that they wouldn't have bought the 3 if the 3a had existed earlier but it's a moot point.
    B. Diddy and anon(10092459) like this.
    05-14-2019 09:06 AM
    It's funny -- if Google made the phone crappier, I'm sure a different segment would vociferously express their disappointment. You can't win.
    anon(10092459) and ajb1965 like this.
    05-14-2019 11:24 AM
    I think jwilliams 85 made a good point about the moto G for 250 wing more powerful than the pixel 3a and Google should have thrown in a 845 since they could afford it.

I wouldn't say pixel 3 owners lost, the processor is better and camera is better but Google could have done better on the pricing.
    05-14-2019 11:45 AM
    No. I got a Pixel 3xl 128gbfor half price last month. $535 with tax and shipping. I think it's a better phone, though I am probably the target audience for the Pixel 3a. I might buy its successor in a couple of years.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-14-2019 02:44 PM
86 ... 234