Is anyone taking advantage of the $400 trade in offer from T-Mobile? I have a Galaxy S8 Plus and I'm considering going for the 3a XL, but there are definite tradeoffs on both sides. The S8 has a better display, expandable storage, and wireless charging, but the 3a XL has three years of software updates, stock Android, and that incredible camera.

Honestly, it's a tough decision, and I was just wondering if anyone else plans on doing something similar?
    05-09-2019 08:48 AM
    Is anyone taking advantage of the $400 trade in offer from T-Mobile? I have a Galaxy S8 Plus and I'm considering going for the 3a XL, but there are definite tradeoffs on both sides. The S8 has a better display, expandable storage, and wireless charging, but the 3a XL has three years of software updates, stock Android, and that incredible camera.

Honestly, it's a tough decision, and I was just wondering if anyone else plans on doing something similar?
    There's certainly tradeoffs, but a couple of additional points to consider:

From a processor perspective, the 670 should be very comparable to the S8+'s 835, so all other things being equal, performance should be about the same - except that they're not equal, with Google likely to perform slightly better due to the wholly integrated design of the hardware/software package.

While the S8+ saw Pie, it's questionable whether it will receive Q, and extremely unlikely it will receive R or S (if you were to keep it that long) or timely monthly security updates for an extended period; the 3a XL would remain relevant in terms of software for at least 3 years.

I assume you have a memory card and, much like having an extra closet, any space you are afforded you are likely to find a use for. The question therefore becomes, how much storage do you actually need? If you generally use that card to keep a library of media, for example, can you keep a sufficient store directly on the device to comfortably accommodate your needs; if so, the expandable storage is a luxury to which you need to assign a monetary value.

Lastly - and this would be one of the largest considerations for me in your shoes - your S8+ is (presumably) out of warranty, meaning you can get great value out of it now if working fine. But if something fails on, it you have a large opportunity loss in terms of potential trade-in/sale value, whereas the 3a XL would carry a new warranty.
    luke31 likes this.
    05-09-2019 09:26 AM
    There's certainly tradeoffs, but a couple of additional points to consider:

From a processor perspective, the 670 should be very comparable to the S8+'s 835, so all other things being equal, performance should be about the same - except that they're not equal, with Google likely to perform slightly better due to the wholly integrated design of the hardware/software package.

While the S8+ saw Pie, it's questionable whether it will receive Q, and extremely unlikely it will receive R or S (if you were to keep it that long) or timely monthly security updates for an extended period; the 3a XL would remain relevant in terms of software for at least 3 years.

I assume you have a memory card and, much like having an extra closet, any space you are afforded you are likely to find a use for. The question therefore becomes, how much storage do you actually need? If you generally use that card to keep a library of media, for example, can you keep a sufficient store directly on the device to comfortably accommodate your needs; if so, the expandable storage is a luxury to which you need to assign a monetary value.

Lastly - and this would be one of the largest considerations for me in your shoes - your S8+ is (presumably) out of warranty, meaning you can get great value out of it now if working fine. But if something fails on, it you have a large opportunity loss in terms of potential trade-in/sale value, whereas the 3a XL would carry a new warranty.
    All great points, thank you! I've had the S8 for two years, so I'm definitely past warranty. And I sure as heck won't be able to ever sell it myself for $400.

I mean, worst case scenario, if I don't like it, I'll only be out $80.
    05-09-2019 10:44 AM
    I have a Pixel 2 and I am sorely tempted by the T Mobile trade in. Nothing wrong with the Pixel 2--in fact I love the phone--but it is about 18 months old and I am unlikely to ever get a better deal on a trade in. I'm not exactly clear on how the trade in works. Do you pay for the 3A up front and then get rebated the cost in monthly bill credits?
    05-09-2019 04:30 PM
    I have a Pixel 2 and I am sorely tempted by the T Mobile trade in. Nothing wrong with the Pixel 2--in fact I love the phone--but it is about 18 months old and I am unlikely to ever get a better deal on a trade in. I'm not exactly clear on how the trade in works. Do you pay for the 3A up front and then get rebated the cost in monthly bill credits?
    From the way I understand it, you get the 3a via financing for 24 months and the value of the trade in is credited to your bill.
    05-09-2019 04:35 PM
    They gave me $122 instantly, then deducted taxes and upgrade cost (~$25 tax for me, $20 fee,) so I got an instant bill credit of about $77. I thought that $77 would get spread out with the remainder of the promo amount each month, but it looks like it instantly applied to my account. I believe my bill will be about $3-5 higher a month now, which I was trying to avoid and am slightly annoyed about. They make it overly complicated. In the end it adds up the same, I would just rather have had my bill stay the same each month and paid the taxes & upgrade fee upfront.

That being said, someone on Reddit said the stores can apply the entire $122 credit to your EIP cost, let you pay the taxes & fee upfront, and end up with an equal monthly EIP payment and credit that cancel each other out. I tried to get the store to do that, but the rep said it would not let her. I know it's a good deal but pretty annoying that I could not just keep my bill the same as it usually is.
    05-12-2019 11:19 AM
    They gave me $122 instantly, then deducted taxes and upgrade cost (~$25 tax for me, $20 fee,) so I got an instant bill credit of about $77. I thought that $77 would get spread out with the remainder of the promo amount each month, but it looks like it instantly applied to my account. I believe my bill will be about $3-5 higher a month now, which I was trying to avoid and am slightly annoyed about. They make it overly complicated. In the end it adds up the same, I would just rather have had my bill stay the same each month and paid the taxes & upgrade fee upfront.

That being said, someone on Reddit said the stores can apply the entire $122 credit to your EIP cost, let you pay the taxes & fee upfront, and end up with an equal monthly EIP payment and credit that cancel each other out. I tried to get the store to do that, but the rep said it would not let her. I know it's a good deal but pretty annoying that I could not just keep my bill the same as it usually is.
    Sometimes the store have their hands tied what they allowed to do, should ask to call customer care or you call them in the store see if they would do it .
    05-13-2019 12:06 AM
    Bought a Pixel from Amazon and traded it in. This will make a great back up phone and will cost me about $140 total. That's a pretty good price for a decent phone!
    05-13-2019 03:38 PM