My Pixel 3a XL Review. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm sold.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

When it first came out I didn't think it was particularly worth it. Cause here in Singapore, there was a markup on the price, and we can get phones like the Mi9 and honor view 20 here easily.

But after using it for a week, I'm sold. This is the Pixel I've wanted Google to make for a while now. Great camera. Great software. Cheaper price. The better battery life is a nice bonus too.

The specs might be underwhelming considering I can get a mi9 at a cheaper price with SD855 here, but in the end it doesn't really matter as much to me.

A few years down the road, I would regret not having a better camera with me for a special occasion, an impromptu event, or just a special moment with my loved ones (especially someone who isn't around anymore). That is something I've already encountered before. But, the thing that I've never regretted, was my phone not being able to open an app as quickly or run a game at the highest graphics settings.

For someone who doesn't want to spend that much money, but still want an awesome camera and software experience, the Pixel 3a is awesome.

That is unless you don't mind going through the hassle and risk of buying used phone. Then pixel 3 could be a nice option too. Pixel 2 can be nice, but when I compared the 3a's rear camera with the Pixel 2, the 3a still wins.

Last edited:

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Fantastic review! For someone in the UK like me, where the price of the 3a XL is also substantially higher than in the US, your review is reassuring, especially when it comes to app loading times and game performance :)

Nice job!

Last edited:

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Fantastic review! For someone in the UK like me, where the price of the 3a XL is also susbatntially higher than in the US, your review is reassuring, especially when it comes to app loading times and game performance :)

Nice job!

Thanks! Yeah. I really wished that the prices were closer to the US pricing. But at least it's not as bad as in India. :'(

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Thanks! Yeah. I really wished that the prices were closer to the US pricing. But at least it's not as bad as in India. :'(

Same here...I guess it might be something to do with import costs, tax and VAT :(

Funny thing is in India budget/mid-range phones are cheaper than they are in Europe but even older flagships are much more expensive than they should be...which can be confusing.

darkmanx2g

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
You hit it right there Alex. The camera is the one thing that can be timeless. Opening an app and playing games isn't. It happened to me last year. I fell for the hype getting the one plus 6t. I left my pixel 3 at home when we went to Disneyland with the kids. The night shots were horrible on the one plus that the pixel would've nailed.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this review. I ordered my 3a last weekend, and I think it'll be a good upgrade from my original Pixel. For $299 with a $100 gift card, it was hard to turn down. Most of the features that are missing don't exist on my current phone anyway, so I won't even notice them gone.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Here in uk oneplus 7 pro 8/256 £700 but after seeing this i dont know whether i should cancel and get me a 3a xl

I suggest don't go for OnePlus. I had bad experience with 5 and 6T. I missed so many good shots of my kids as OnePlus is bad at capturing moving images. Also their SAR values are higher and I consistently got ear pain while taking calls. Not worth in my opinion.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this review. I ordered my 3a last weekend, and I think it'll be a good upgrade from my original Pixel. For $299 with a $100 gift card, it was hard to turn down. Most of the features that are missing don't exist on my current phone anyway, so I won't even notice them gone.

Is the gift card deal over? I'm looking on the Best Buy site and I don't see it.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Too bad here in singapore we're still not seeing any good deals yet. that $100 gift card from amazon was a pretty great deal, just a bit short-lived. :/

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
It ended last Sunday. They are still offering $100 off, but throwing in a Google Home Mini.

Thanks! I won't be activating new service, so the $100 off won't work for me. And I'm not interested in the Google Home Mini. But will probably still buy from BB just to get it quicker, unless Google offers some kind of deal this weekend.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! I won't be activating new service, so the $100 off won't work for me. And I'm not interested in the Google Home Mini. But will probably still buy from BB just to get it quicker, unless Google offers some kind of deal this weekend.
This is good for existing lines (at least at Sprint).