Hi,

I have a Samsung S8, which works just fine but does have a crack on the right due to a drop hitting the pointless curved screen. It did have a case, but i think I was really unlucky with that curved side taking the blow and at £200 to have the screen replaced i'd rather let it rot in a box.

I know on paper the 3aXL is supposed to be a little slower than the s8, but I have read a great deal where folk are saying it won't be noticeable. Also the camera is important to me so that puts the 3aXL right in the frame.

I was also wondering about the 2XL as it's a little cheaper than the 3aXL brand new?

Thanks for any help
    05-20-2019 03:07 AM
    2 XL all day everyday! Get the 2 XL. Better in every way. Get the white one.
    Jlharper016 likes this.
    05-20-2019 03:46 AM
    Hi,

I have a Samsung S8, which works just fine but does have a crack on the right due to a drop hitting the pointless curved screen. It did have a case, but i think I was really unlucky with that curved side taking the blow and at £200 to have the screen replaced i'd rather let it rot in a box.

I know on paper the 3aXL is supposed to be a little slower than the s8, but I have read a great deal where folk are saying it won't be noticeable. Also the camera is important to me so that puts the 3aXL right in the frame.

I was also wondering about the 2XL as it's a little cheaper than the 3aXL brand new?

Thanks for any help
    I traded in my S8 Plus for a 3a XL and have zero regrets. It feels faster than my S8, due to the lack of customization and bloatware.
    bigbadtone likes this.
    05-20-2019 06:47 AM
    2 XL all day everyday! Get the 2 XL. Better in every way. Get the white one.
    Thanks for your response, I'm not challenging you, but can you let me know what key bits are better?

I think the camera, headphone jack, larger battery and longer support from Google have mean leaning towards the 3aXL.
    05-20-2019 09:19 AM
    Thanks for your response, I'm not challenging you, but can you let me know what key bits are better?

I think the camera, headphone jack, larger battery and longer support from Google have mean leaning towards the 3aXL.
    From what I can see, the big advantages to the Pixel 2 XL is the processor, the "build quality" (being glass and metal rather than plastic), and a higher resolution screen (538 ppi vs 402 ppi).

As you point out, the 3a XL has a headphone jack, a somewhat better camera, a slightly larger battery (and likely is a bit more power efficient), as well as getting that extra year of Google support. There is also the advantage of getting a new phone (with a warranty), whereas you can no longer buy the 2XL "new" (though some sellers may have a "new in box," it is still pre-owned).

So both have advantages and disadvantages. I think it really comes down to what advantages are more important to the buyer.
    05-20-2019 11:39 AM

The S8 does have a headphone jack btw

Advantages of the S8 vs 3a XL: Better display, expandable storage, wireless charging, better build quality/durability, slightly faster processor, IP68 water and dust resistance

Advantages of the 3a XL vs the S8: Bigger display, newer/purer software with more future/regular updates, better camera, better battery life, more modern processor

The 2 XL is also good if you can live with a mediocre display
    05-20-2019 11:42 AM

Advantages of the S8 vs 3a XL: Better display, expandable storage, wireless charging, better build quality/durability, slightly faster processor, IP68 water and dust resistance

Advantages of the 3a XL vs the S8: Bigger display, newer/purer software with more future/regular updates, better camera, better battery life, more modern processor

I reckon the ip68 is worthless with the crack in the screen, but I agree with the rest. I really should get a look at the screen first as the S8 screen is lovely.
    05-20-2019 01:00 PM
    From what I can see, the big advantages to the Pixel 2 XL is the processor, the "build quality" (being glass and metal rather than plastic), and a higher resolution screen (538 ppi vs 402 ppi).

As you point out, the 3a XL has a headphone jack, a somewhat better camera, a slightly larger battery (and likely is a bit more power efficient), as well as getting that extra year of Google support. There is also the advantage of getting a new phone (with a warranty), whereas you can no longer buy the 2XL "new" (though some sellers may have a "new in box," it is still pre-owned).

So both have advantages and disadvantages. I think it really comes down to what advantages are more important to the buyer.
    Here in the UK I can still get the 2XL brand new for less than the 3aXL so it seemed a worthwhile question, but it seems that they're pretty close so perhaps I should go for the newer release.
    05-20-2019 01:01 PM

While I won't argue with better build quality, I'm not sure the S8 durability is better than the 3a XL. The glass, particularly the way it curves, as well as the glass back, are more fragile than the Polycarbonate of the Pixel.

As for software, I think it is doubtful that the S8 will get Android Q; while the 3a XL will get Android Q, R, and S (for those that will keep it for more than 2 years).
    05-20-2019 03:25 PM

Hahaha sorry.

2XL pros:
    0. More powerful processor > will notice when using camera and playing games
    1. Better built > more solid > more dense
    2. IP certification
    3. Gorilla glass > stronger than 3a > check durability tests
    4. Front firing speakers
    5. Higher resolution screen
    6. Tried and tested > one of the best phones out there
    7. That white and black colour option with the orange button > classic
    8. Pixel Visual Core > allows third party apps such as Snapchat instagram and WhatsApp to use the HDR capabilities of the main camera within the app
    9. Lastly, price! > Cheaper than the 3a. Even the XL model of the 2 is cheaper than the smaller 3a.

2XL cons:
    1. For the price, I don't think there are any. Some might say the screen but honestly it's beautiful!

3a pros:
    1. One additional year of software updates but listen... They said the same thing about the Pixel 1 and it's still getting major updates. Google will most likely support its devices for more than 3 years for sure. Android R will definitely be coming to the 2XL.
    2. Plastic back won't break as easily

3a cons:
    1. Lower processor
    2. No IP certification
    3. No gorilla glass
    4. No dual front firing speakers > one at the bottom can be covered and not as enjoyable as having two in the front
    5. Lower resolution screen
    6. Still new in terms of processor speeds and dragon trail glass. Can't say how they're going to age
    7. No pixel Visual Core > potato quality in third party apps
    8. More expensive than the 2XL > save money and get a smartwatch
    05-20-2019 09:41 PM
    Thanks for all your advice everyone, I went for the 3aXL in the end.

Really loving it actually and also got a free Google nest hub thing which was a bonus.
    Golurk and Jlharper016 like this.
    05-21-2019 11:10 AM
    Nice!
    05-21-2019 11:53 AM
    Hahaha sorry.

2XL pros:
    2. IP certification
    4. Front firing speakers
    8. Pixel Visual Core > allows third party apps such as Snapchat instagram and WhatsApp to use the HDR capabilities of the main camera within the app
    9. Lastly, price! > Cheaper than the 3a. Even the XL model of the 2 is cheaper than the smaller 3a.

2XL cons:
    1. For the price, I don't think there are any. Some might say the screen but honestly it's beautiful!

3a pros:
    1. One additional year of software updates but listen... They said the same thing about the Pixel 1 and it's still getting major updates. Google will most likely support its devices for more than 3 years for sure. Android R will definitely be coming to the 2XL.

3a cons:
    1. Lower processor
    2. No IP certification
    3. No gorilla glass
    4. No dual front firing speakers > one at the bottom can be covered and not as enjoyable as having two in the front
    6. Still new in terms of processor speeds and dragon trail glass. Can't say how they're going to age
    I think your bias is peeking through. The #6 -- "tried and tested" -- the fact is that there have been issues with the Pixel 2 XL. That isn't to say it isn't a solid phone, just that it isn't objectively a place that the 2 XL is better. Same with the Pixel "Black and White" version (or Panda) -- that isn't really a pro, it is just that you (and many others) like the look of that version of the 2 XL -- but a lot of people like the Purple-ish 3a XL; neither is really a "pro."

You listed all the cons on the 3a XL as Pros on the 2 XL list -- but no similar cons are on the 2XL list that are on the 3a XL list. This is doubly noticeable as the couple of Pros you list for the 3a XL are not cons on the 2 XL list -- making this appears as if it is being done to give "double credit" to 2 XL pros.

Your thought that the 2XL may get as many software updates as the 3a XL is pure speculation on your part, and not actually grounded in any facts. The OG Pixel is still getting updates because, when the 2 XL came out, Google announced that they were extending software updates for the Pixel line from 2 to 3 years -- so the Pixel gets a third year. There is nothing indicating that the Pixel (or the Pixel 2 XL) will get a fourth year.

You dismiss the criticisms of the 2XL screen. I'm sorry, the fact is (though lower resolution) the 3a is getting raves for it's screen -- and as such, the look of the screen (better viewing angles and color accuracy) should be a pro for the 3A XL.

Last, your pricing claim is suspect. Granted, some of this will depend on market but the Pixel 2 XL is not cheaper. As an example, the 2XL 64GB costs $579 on Amazon in the US, compared to $479 for the Pixel 3A XL. In most markets, the number of 2 XLs is limited as Google stopped producing them last year. That also ignores the large number of promotions you can currently find on the 3a XL -- such as $80 (or "free" for the 3a), after qualifying trade in, with T-Mobile; $100 off from Verizon and Sprint; $100 gift card from Best Buy; and the just ended $100 Google Store credit for buying from Google.

Though, I will add a couple of advantages to your 2 XL pro column: The fact that the 2XL has a 128GB version, while the 3A (and XL) only offer the 64GB version Also, the fact that the 2a XL gets free original photo storage online from Google, and the 3a only gets the HQ resolution photo storage - which is actually offered free for any phone that has the Google Photo app set up.

The choice between the 2 XL and the 3a XL is not as one sided as you make it appear.
    05-21-2019 01:39 PM

Really loving it actually and also got a free Google nest hub thing which was a bonus.
    Congrats, hope your phone is great for you!
    05-21-2019 01:40 PM
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...vs_pixel_2_xl/
    Hahaha sorry.

2XL pros:
    2. IP certification
    4. Front firing speakers

2XL cons:

3a pros:

3a cons:
    1. Lower processor
    2. No IP certification
    3. No gorilla glass
    I decided I should, more objectively, do a list of pros for each phone; such as including the 2 pros that the poster you responded to pointed out about the 3a XL:

Pixel 2 XL pros:

1. Glass and aluminum "premium" build
    2. Gorilla glass
    3. IP 67 rating
    4. Front firing speakers
    6. Pixel Visual core
    7. Free online storage, at original resolution, of all photos taken by the phone
    8. 128 GB storage version available

Pixel 3a XL Pros:

1. Larger battery
    2. Better looking screen
    3. Better sound quality from speakers
    4. Headphone jack
    5. Longer guaranteed software support
    6. Polycarbonate case
    7. More efficient processor (uses less battery)
    8. Titan Security chip
    9. LTE band 71 (for T-Mobile US customers, or those that might roam on T-Mobile US)

Notes (in no particular order):

I did not list price because that varies, by quite a bit, between countries. For example, in the US, a new 3a XL is cheaper than the 2 XL -- with the 2XL having limited availability, and the 3a XL having a number of promotions that make it even cheaper. In India, the 3a XL is clearly overpriced. As such, which device has an advantage depends on the country, and if you don't mind buying used. For the moment, the 2 XL is cheaper used than the 3a XL. OTOH, depending on promos available in your area, in many cases the net price, after trade in and other promotional offers, can make a new 3a XL cheaper than the used 2 XL.

In research, the Pixel 2 XL processor is not appreciably faster than the 3a XL processor. It appears mildly faster per specs (2350 Mhz vs 2000 Mhz) but in real world test, it appears the 3a XL actually performs CPU tasks faster. When the GPU is brought in, the Pixel 2 XL is faster (significantly faster GPU). As such, whether the 2XL is actually faster, in day to day use, seems to be app dependent (graphic intensive apps, such as games, should be faster on the 2 XL). Though, as noted in the 3a XL pro, the processor seems to be noticeably more efficient, using less battery (though some could also be caused by screen resolution).

It is unclear how large of an advantage the Gorilla glass, over the Dragontail glass, really is. Independent tests of both types of glass show they tend to have similar resistance to scratching and breaking. At the same time, some YouTube tests appear to show the 3a XL may be more prone to having the screen break if it is dropped.

The speakers on the 2XL have had an issue with distortion at high volumes -- at least one fix is to turn the equalizer off. There have been other issues reported, but it appears some have been fixed by software updates. Additionally, the low end sound comes out of the lower speaker (unless this has been changed since by software update, which I don't believe it has)-- which makes some people feel the stereo is not "balanced," that it feels less like a true stereo. By contrast, the reviews of the 3a XL speakers is very positive, with the quality and volume helping to make up for the bottom speakers firing downward.

The Pixel 2 XL screen has had numerous complaints of being "washed out" and having poor viewing angles. The "washed out" issue has been partially addressed by software, and many do love the screen -- but objectively the 3a XL has very good color accuracy and viewing angles. The color "vibrancy" can be played with, in settings, on both phones -- so you likely can get screen colors you will be happy with on both phones. However, the 3a XL has that, for most people, without having to play with settings, and does not have the viewing angle issues.

As mentioned in the post I responded to: the advantage of the Pixel visual core is largely seen in 3rd party photos -- as a general rule it does not improve processing speeds of photos taken with the Google app.

To wrap up, I think both are great choices. Which is better for you depends on pricing at the time you go to buy the phones and in your area, and which of the "pros" better fits how you use your phone.
    05-21-2019 02:33 PM
    Poof! I was just trying to help the guy. I don't live and die for these devices. I just shared my own thoughts because he asked for them. You're right man, you're right! I'm with you.
    chevyman29 likes this.
    05-21-2019 06:15 PM

I did the same thing. Initially I went with the s10 plus but with all the issues I had from my carrier I brought it back and bought the pixel outright. Even saved 100. It's a nice device and I love the screen realestate.
    06-09-2019 12:15 PM