This 3a XL is my first Pixel. I also have a YouTube channel and I usually make videos using my phone's camera.

I have always been a Samsung guy.

I have been using my HyperX gaming headset as an external mic for videos for awhile.

Last night I was excited to make a video using the Pixel 3a XL, with the headphone jack on top, it was going to be perfect for the DJI Osmo Mobile 2 gimbal.

Then of course I was Megatron disappointed when neither the DJI app or the native Pixel app would recognize the external microphone.

So I Google it and apparently this has been a Pixel problem for awhile, but apparently it was supposed to be fixed in October 2018?

Has anyone been able to get an external mic to work with the video camera?

I have been able to use that same HyperX gaming headset for phone calls and it works fine
    moke likes this.
    05-26-2019 07:54 AM
    Hi Mike. Did you get any answers? I'm in the same boat right now.
    09-06-2019 06:04 PM
    Hello,

First, i am sorry for my english, i am swiss, french mother tongue.

I have a Pixel 3A XL
    In this phone i plug a microphone from Rode. The Smart Lav +
    I plug this microphone in the headphone hole (on top, in left)

After many try, i can say :

- With native Google camera : The microphone is recognized, it is partially functional. Problem : Saturation (in french). I have to whisper. I can not find a option for "microphone gain" or "automatique limiter" or something like that. It's pitty.

- With open Camera (freeware from play store) : No problem, everything is fonctionnal, the camera, the microphone. Only a small problem. record in 4K is limited to 15 minuts.

- With FilMicPro (from play store : 15.-) : Same to Open Camera, everything is fonctionnal, but record is limited to 15 minuts in 4K.

It is really a pity the native application have this problem (saturation, something like "to much gain" in english)

Other information : I plug the microphone with the plug TRSS

Next step for me : Learn FilMicPro, or wait a possible patch from Google

Thank you for read me

Best regard.
    09-19-2019 12:28 PM