Not impressed with camera

45Shield

Jul 26, 2017
Visit site
I bought a Pixel 3a XL, and I must say that I am not impressed with the camera. Compared to my iPhone 8 Plus, the pics aren’t very good in comparable settings. Colors are much more natural with the iPhone. I do like the phone, but either something is wrong with mine or the camera is overrated.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
camera results can absolutely be subjective, but I am surprised to hear you feel that way. I would suggest doing a search on YouTube for a few comparing the pixel to iPhones to determine if yours isn't normal. My wife has an iPhone and always wants me to use my pixel, especially for portraits.

mjs2011

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
camera results can absolutely be subjective, but I am surprised to hear you feel that way. I would suggest doing a search on YouTube for a few comparing the pixel to iPhones to determine if yours isn't normal. My wife has an iPhone and always wants me to use my pixel, especially for portraits.
My very first OG Pixel was a lemon. My camera was horrible. But obviously not a true representation of the Pixel line, so there's always a chance you got a bad one.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally I love the 3/3a series camera the best out of my many phones. I like my Pixel 3a photos over the iPhone Xs, let that sink in given the cost difference.
But for videos I still prefer the iPhone over my Android phones.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I bought a Pixel 3a XL, and I must say that I am not impressed with the camera. Compared to my iPhone 8 Plus, the pics aren’t very good in comparable settings. Colors are much more natural with the iPhone. I do like the phone, but either something is wrong with mine or the camera is overrated.

Colours usually appear to be slightly more natural on iPhones compared others, but it could just be the OLED display’s vivid colours. The main reason why the Pixel cameras (more the 2 and 3 + 3a series) are so widely praised because:

1. The photo quality is excellent (not completely outstanding, but still great)

2. Night Sight is amazing in terms of low-light photography...far better than the iPhone.

3. It preserves details relatively well in low light as well as in specific areas (e.g no overexposure)

4. The camera app has many additional features which are useful (e.g High-Res Zoom which is kinda in between digital and telephoto in terms of quality)

5. It achieves all of the above with a single 12 MP lens when everyone else is using 3/4 cameras with 20/24/40/48 MP resolutions (I’m looking at you, Huawei).

darkmanx2g

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 8 is the same camera as the iPhone X and I think they don't have good cameras. The colors are oversaturated and have loss detail on shots. If the pixel has a worst result vs the iPhone 8 than something must be wrong with the camera on the pixel.

45Shield

Jul 26, 2017
Visit site
The iPhone 8 is the same camera as the iPhone X and I think they don't have good cameras. The colors are oversaturated and have loss detail on shots. If the pixel has a worst result vs the iPhone 8 than something must be wrong with the camera on the pixel.
Do I detect a little fandom here? iPhones have excellent cameras, with very natural (not oversaturated) colors. Plus, no one compares to their video cameras. I’m a fan of both platforms, and thinking that I have a defective 3a XL. It’s going back to Verizon for a replacement.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might be helpful to see some samples of photos from your 3a XL so that we can see what you're seeing. But if it's already gone, then hopefully the replacement is up to snuff!

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
How does the camera compare with the Pixel 3/XL? I know it has the same optics but am I right in saying it doesn't have the same Visual Core element etc? Does that make a difference to the processing?
I've got a Huawei Mate 20 Pro just now and love it and the cameras but just in case the Trump's ban ruins the experience I'm gonna pick up a 3a XL to use too and see how I like it with the possibility of getting the 4XL later in the year.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
How does the camera compare with the Pixel 3/XL? I know it has the same optics but am I right in saying it doesn't have the same Visual Core element etc? Does that make a difference to the processing?
I've got a Huawei Mate 20 Pro just now and love it and the cameras but just in case the Trump's ban ruins the experience I'm gonna pick up a 3a XL to use too and see how I like it with the possibility of getting the 4XL later in the year.
I think the biggest thing you'll see is that they take a beat longer to process than the 3/XL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ananui