07-18-2019 09:25 PM
29 12
tools
    I usually end up buying a bunch of cases, hating them, and wasting my money. Only to end up going without and loving the phone as is. So far I haven't bought a single case and love the phone as it was meant to be.

Who's with me?!
    mumfoau and Morty2264 like this.
    06-18-2019 05:16 PM
    This is the first phone that I feel comfortable going caseless with in a long time. I actually did for a day after it arrived. Now, I'm using a TopAce snap on the back case that's open on the top, bottom and button sides.

If I did go naked though, Zack from JerryRigEverything gave me the confidence to do so with his torture test.

TopAce Case
    TopACE Phone Case Protector for Google Pixel 3 Lite XL/Google Pixel 3a XL, Resilient Shock Absorption Replacement for Google Pixel 3 Lite XL Slim Scrub Shell Mobile Phone Protectors (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHC74MT...cUvbUpU6566012
    06-18-2019 05:28 PM
    I went naked for about a week and loved it. I even dropped my phone on a concrete floor and no damage. But I have put a clear case on it since I have the purple-ish XL.
    06-18-2019 05:59 PM
    That's why I think polycarbonate phones don't get enough credit for this.

My BlackBerry KEY2 LE which has polycarbonate build and is at same price point as the 3a, is the only phone I dare to use without a case.

The rear of the phone is made of a rubbery material which very slightly protrudes around the rear camera, meaning the camera glass shouldn't be scratching the surface where the phone is laying on.

Too bad the 3a has a protruding lens, but which phone doesn't these days?

But as with all phones, the glass display needs a tempered glass protector.
    06-18-2019 06:52 PM
    I also got the purple-ish. I considered a Spigen liquid crystal but talked myself out of it. I know if end up taking the case off after a matter of days.
    mumfoau and Relletti like this.
    06-18-2019 07:42 PM
    Just a screen protector and a dbrand skin
    mumfoau likes this.
    06-18-2019 10:22 PM
    I really enjoyed this article, and I agree with several of the points made.
    jasonb likes this.
    06-19-2019 11:09 AM
    I really enjoyed this article, and I agree with several of the points made.
    Very nice article. I have a full body skin and glass screen protector. It's a carbon fiber skin and I just like the look and feel of it.
    06-19-2019 03:32 PM
    Just the other day, I got so tired of the case I had bought with my Pixel 2 that I stripped it off and went naked. I know that it's a really dumb move to do this with a 16-month old around me all day, so I may reverse that decision again soon...
    06-19-2019 04:17 PM
    Just the other day, I got so tired of the case I had bought with my Pixel 2 that I stripped it off and went naked. I know that it's a really dumb move to do this with a 16-month old around me all day, so I may reverse that decision again soon...
    Well, if it's a phone you've had for a very long time and it's already paid itself off and you don't care too much about it, then I suppose it's "okay".
    At least it's a small phone that you can get a nice firm grip on.
    If it was a gigantic slab like the Note, it might be a different story
    06-19-2019 06:19 PM
    I can understand the desire to go caseless. The Pixel 3a line is beautiful! Maybe grab a tempered glass screen protector for some scratch resistance!
    06-21-2019 01:09 PM
    I can understand the desire to go caseless. The Pixel 3a line is beautiful! Maybe grab a tempered glass screen protector for some scratch resistance!
    Using a Skinomi Techskin, and a dbrand black camo skin. Gives it some scratch protection.

I kind of want a Rhinoshield crashgaurd, but I'm not sure how any case is going to get a long with the Android Q gestures.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-21-2019 02:45 PM
    Using a Skinomi Techskin, and a dbrand black camo skin. Gives it some scratch protection.

I kind of want a Rhinoshield crashgaurd, but I'm not sure how any case is going to get a long with the Android Q gestures.
    I had no case-related issues with Q gestures. There were other issues, but not that.
    johnnyshinta likes this.
    06-21-2019 03:36 PM

Sounds like you have the protection aspect covered!
    06-22-2019 12:02 PM
    Sounds like you have the protection aspect covered!
    It's protected against scratches at least, but I don't know how well it'll survive a real drop.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-22-2019 12:04 PM
    I can't seem to go caseless, no matter how good phones get... But I have gone from using Otterbox and other super heavy duty hybrid cases to very thin ones. Been using the Ringke Fusion on my 3a XL for a few days now and it barely ads any bulk at all.
    06-23-2019 07:59 AM
    It's protected against scratches at least, but I don't know how well it'll survive a real drop.
    True. I'm always afraid to drop my phone - even with a tempered glass screen protector and a case. Sometimes no amount of protection can stop a really badly timed drop (ie, angle, surface, if it bounces) from ruining or damaging your phone. Sad but true.
    06-23-2019 03:39 PM
    I have been rocking a dbrand full cover skin on my Pixel 2XL and I love it. Phone is still immaculate.
    06-23-2019 04:15 PM
    I usually end up buying a bunch of cases, hating them, and wasting my money. Only to end up going without and loving the phone as is. So far I haven't bought a single case and love the phone as it was meant to be.

Who's with me?!
    Bought a premium popsocket on the black on black pixel 3a xl and screen protector. No case like a boss. Caseless is streaking like will ferrel in old school. Who's going streaking?
    06-24-2019 10:04 AM
    One of the ways I justified the Pixel 3a XL is by not paying for the insurance. Therfore, a case seemed judicious.

So, from Amazon:

4.3 out of 5 stars 15 Reviews
    ESR Mimic Series Compatible with Google Pixel 3a XL Case, 9H Tempered-Glass Back Cover, Scratch-Resistant, Flexible TPU Bumper, Hybrid Case for The Pixel 3a XL(2019 Release), Clear
    06-24-2019 11:19 AM
    I had a screw-up with receiving some promotional credit from the Google Store when I ordered the 3a, which I was going to use to buy a case, so I was caseless for about a week while I ordered a 3rd-party case. Within that time, managed to knock the phone off my bedside table and crack the entire bottom-right corner of the screen.

So yeah, wouldn't recommend going caseless - at the very least a thin transparent case to give it a modicum of drop protection for the screen.
    06-24-2019 11:45 AM
    I cracked my 3a xl screen while using that ESR glass cover (and the tempered glass case as well). Was jogging on gravel trail holding phone in my hand and tripped and fell on the hand with the phone so it was more than a usual drop. The phone's screen was facing forward with the back against my palm but the case cracked as well as the screen. Also note that the first.time I ordered that case from Amazon it arrived cracked but I just exchanged it. After getting new screen from Google ($150) I moved to the Spigen Crystal clear case. The polycarbonate back of the 3a may be strong but remember that the glass is a lower grade than Gorilla glass. Real issue is what gives the screen best protection?
    06-25-2019 12:17 PM
    I cracked my 3a xl screen while using that ESR glass cover (and the tempered glass case as well). Was jogging on gravel trail holding phone in my hand and tripped and fell on the hand with the phone so it was more than a usual drop. The phone's screen was facing forward with the back against my palm but the case cracked as well as the screen. Also note that the first.time I ordered that case from Amazon it arrived cracked but I just exchanged it. After getting new screen from Google ($150) I moved to the Spigen Crystal clear case. The polycarbonate back of the 3a may be strong but remember that the glass is a lower grade than Gorilla glass. Real issue is what gives the screen best protection?
    Unfortunately the best screen protection is a bulky case. The best screen protector will only protector a screen from cracking from mild to moderate drops. They are great for scratch protection.
    06-25-2019 12:42 PM
    I've been using a Vinve Carbon fiber TPU case on my 3a since I got it and it's been great. However, I started to take the phone out of the case when I'm home since I have carpet throughout my place so no worries of dropping it. The phone just feels great to use caseless.
    06-25-2019 07:01 PM
    I've been using a Vinve Carbon fiber TPU case on my 3a since I got it and it's been great. However, I started to take the phone out of the case when I'm home since I have carpet throughout my place so no worries of dropping it. The phone just feels great to use caseless.
    It does feel great caseless. Full time caseless.
    06-25-2019 07:26 PM
29 12