Who's going caseless

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I usually end up buying a bunch of cases, hating them, and wasting my money. Only to end up going without and loving the phone as is. So far I haven't bought a single case and love the phone as it was meant to be.

Who's with me?!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
This is the first phone that I feel comfortable going caseless with in a long time. I actually did for a day after it arrived. Now, I'm using a TopAce snap on the back case that's open on the top, bottom and button sides.

If I did go naked though, Zack from JerryRigEverything gave me the confidence to do so with his torture test.

TopAce Case
TopACE Phone Case Protector for Google Pixel 3 Lite XL/Google Pixel 3a XL, Resilient Shock Absorption Replacement for Google Pixel 3 Lite XL Slim Scrub Shell Mobile Phone Protectors (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHC74M...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6566012

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I went naked for about a week and loved it. I even dropped my phone on a concrete floor and no damage. But I have put a clear case on it since I have the purple-ish XL.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
That's why I think polycarbonate phones don't get enough credit for this.

My BlackBerry KEY2 LE which has polycarbonate build and is at same price point as the 3a, is the only phone I dare to use without a case.

The rear of the phone is made of a rubbery material which very slightly protrudes around the rear camera, meaning the camera glass shouldn't be scratching the surface where the phone is laying on.

Too bad the 3a has a protruding lens, but which phone doesn't these days?

But as with all phones, the glass display needs a tempered glass protector.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I also got the purple-ish. I considered a Spigen liquid crystal but talked myself out of it. I know if end up taking the case off after a matter of days.

DesertTwang

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
Just the other day, I got so tired of the case I had bought with my Pixel 2 that I stripped it off and went naked. I know that it's a really dumb move to do this with a 16-month old around me all day, so I may reverse that decision again soon...

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Just the other day, I got so tired of the case I had bought with my Pixel 2 that I stripped it off and went naked. I know that it's a really dumb move to do this with a 16-month old around me all day, so I may reverse that decision again soon...
Well, if it's a phone you've had for a very long time and it's already paid itself off and you don't care too much about it, then I suppose it's "okay".
At least it's a small phone that you can get a nice firm grip on.
If it was a gigantic slab like the Note, it might be a different story

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can understand the desire to go caseless. The Pixel 3a line is beautiful! Maybe grab a tempered glass screen protector for some scratch resistance!

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I can understand the desire to go caseless. The Pixel 3a line is beautiful! Maybe grab a tempered glass screen protector for some scratch resistance!

Using a Skinomi Techskin, and a dbrand black camo skin. Gives it some scratch protection.

I kind of want a Rhinoshield crashgaurd, but I'm not sure how any case is going to get a long with the Android Q gestures.

morriea

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Using a Skinomi Techskin, and a dbrand black camo skin. Gives it some scratch protection.

I kind of want a Rhinoshield crashgaurd, but I'm not sure how any case is going to get a long with the Android Q gestures.
I had no case-related issues with Q gestures. There were other issues, but not that.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like you have the protection aspect covered!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to go caseless, no matter how good phones get... But I have gone from using Otterbox and other super heavy duty hybrid cases to very thin ones. Been using the Ringke Fusion on my 3a XL for a few days now and it barely ads any bulk at all.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's protected against scratches at least, but I don't know how well it'll survive a real drop.

True. I'm always afraid to drop my phone - even with a tempered glass screen protector and a case. Sometimes no amount of protection can stop a really badly timed drop (ie, angle, surface, if it bounces) from ruining or damaging your phone. Sad but true. :(

Alex Soto Jr

Jun 24, 2019
Visit site
I usually end up buying a bunch of cases, hating them, and wasting my money. Only to end up going without and loving the phone as is. So far I haven't bought a single case and love the phone as it was meant to be.

Who's with me?!

Bought a premium popsocket on the black on black pixel 3a xl and screen protector. No case like a boss. Caseless is streaking like will ferrel in old school. Who's going streaking?

GranPaSmurf

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
One of the ways I justified the Pixel 3a XL is by not paying for the insurance. Therfore, a case seemed judicious.

So, from Amazon:

4.3 out of 5 stars 15 Reviews
ESR Mimic Series Compatible with Google Pixel 3a XL Case, 9H Tempered-Glass Back Cover, Scratch-Resistant, Flexible TPU Bumper, Hybrid Case for The Pixel 3a XL(2019 Release), Clear