I'm not usually in need of Android auto at night, but I recently was, and it showed up in the (to me) annoying "night mode" with the display being gray roads on a black background.

Less-jarring to the dark car cabin, but also far less readable.

How do I set it to always be in daytime mode?

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-auto-tweaks/ is one of several articles I found saying I can do this through "developer mode," which is supposedly accessed by tapping 10 times on the header text.

I can't gain that access though - tap right on the white words "About Android Auto," right?

However I do it, I just want to set the phone/car for permanent day mode when using Android Auto.
    07-05-2019 08:58 AM
    I'm not usually in need of Android auto at night, but I recently was, and it showed up in the (to me) annoying "night mode" with the display being gray roads on a black background.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-auto-tweaks/ is one of several articles I found saying I can do this through "developer mode," which is supposedly accessed by tapping 10 times on the header text.

I can't gain that access though - tap right on the white words "About Android Auto," right?

However I do it, I just want to set the phone/car for permanent day mode when using Android Auto.

From what I can see, you just need to change the setting in Maps. Once in Maps (just using your phone normally), click on the Hamburger menu in the top left, and from the drop down menu select "Settings." In Settings, drop down to "Navigation Settings." As you go down, you'll see "Map Display" in bold letters and "Color Scheme" with three boxes underneath. Change the selected box from "Automatic" by pressing on the box marked "Day."

This will make is so Maps, while Navigating, will always be in Daylight mode, including (from my limited test) when running maps in Android Auto.
    07-05-2019 04:17 PM

To access Developer Mode you need to tap on Build Number repeatedly until it unlocks. It is under About Phone

About Phone/build number.

Helpful hint...once in the Developer section you can change all 3 animation choices to .5 and the phone will feel much faster. I do it first thing on all my Android devices. You will not hurt a thing and it is easily reversible.
    07-05-2019 04:59 PM
    From what I can see, you just need to change the setting in Maps. Once in Maps (just using your phone normally), click on the Hamburger menu in the top left, and from the drop down menu select "Settings." In Settings, drop down to "Navigation Settings." As you go down, you'll see "Map Display" in bold letters and "Color Scheme" with three boxes underneath. Change the selected box from "Automatic" by pressing on the box marked "Day."

This will make is so Maps, while Navigating, will always be in Daylight mode, including (from my limited test) when running maps in Android Auto.
    Before your post, I had found this (going through the map settings), and this appears to be "the ticket" to what I need. Sometime in the next 60 days I'll be driving at night and I can test it!
    07-05-2019 08:03 PM
    To access Developer Mode you need to tap on Build Number repeatedly until it unlocks. It is under About Phone

About Phone/build number.

Helpful hint...once in the Developer section you can change all 3 animation choices to .5 and the phone will feel much faster. I do it first thing on all my Android devices. You will not hurt a thing and it is easily reversible.
    Although mogelijk above provided what I think is the easiest relevant solution, your bit about tapping on the build number (had not seen this before; other stuff I found online said to just tap on the heading) did put me into the developer options, and I set it to day always on.

Thanks.
    07-05-2019 08:05 PM