Do you lose photo quality with the Open Camera app on Pixel 3a?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I prefer the control and UI of the Open Camera app. But am I losing photo quality when compared to the stock Pixel 3a camera app?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The stock app is probably choosing a better f-stop, a better ISO or a better shutter speed (or some better combination) than you are. Sometimes (rarely, actually) automatic does work better than manual.

E_Pixie

Jul 25, 2019
Visit site
I want to take pictures in 16:9 (not 4:3 and crop later). However, I don't like how the control panel of the stock camera app obscures the photo area for 16:9 shots. What is my best bet for amending the UI (either a mod or different camera app?) so that it doesn't overlap with my viewfinder space? I don't want to lose photo quality by using a 3rd party app, but it makes it hard, or at least unenjoyable, to frame my shots with the UI in the way.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'd also prefer to use a different gallery app, but I can't access it through the preview shortcut if I use the stock camera app.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The photo sensor is natively 4:3 aspect ratio. Ang time you use non-native aspect ratio, you are not using all the pixels on the sensor.

Most of what makes the Pixel 3 pictures great is the AI processing contained in the stock camera app. If you choose 3rd party app, you most likely lose all that capability.

E_Pixie

Jul 25, 2019
Visit site
I know about the loss of MP in 16:9, but I still prefer it.

Since it sounds like Open Camera will make me have even worse photo quality, is there any way to modify the stock camera app so the control panel is a little more transparent while taking a picture in 16:9 mode? I'm also missing some of the manual controls I am used to... and voice commands...

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
At this point in time I think that most default camera apps are more than good enough for the majority of people’s needs (except maybe the iPhone camera app). Samsung’s, Xiaomi’s, Huawei’s, Google’s etc all offer a load of useful features without making it over complicated...something which many fail to do.

E_Pixie

Jul 25, 2019
Visit site
I am finding Google's default camera too restrictive. The GUI gets in my way and cannot be adjusted. Sometimes I do want manual controls. And honestly I find that the screen of the Pixel 3a is too dim for me to even see it in bright sunlight, so then I'm shooting blind. I feel like Google just wants to take the picture for me without me even being involved in the photography experience. For now I am preferring Open Camera, which gives me that level of control (not to mention the option to link to whichever gallery app I want, and even voice controls!). Even if there is a small reduction in photo quality, it is improving my experience of taking the photograph to begin with. If there were a way to at least change the UI of the Google camera app I would go back to it. I sent them my feedback, not sure if anything ever comes of that, but we'll see what the future holds.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I have not tested other camera apps on the Pixel 3A but I have done so on the Pixel 2 and there was a definite loss of image quality observable. Yes, some of the other apps have better interfaces and useful controls, but in the end image quality is more important.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae