Photos post upside down or sideways in Facebook

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I may have posted this before, but can't remember or find the answer.

My 3a has auto-rotate turned off (not that this was an issue for photos with an older phone I had).

When I view photos on my computer, they orient correctly (if they were taken in portrait mode, I need to rotate the picture, but once saved that way, the orientation is fine).

However, if I post one of these photos to Facebook, the original (wrong) orientation shows up. A photo taken in portrait mode will render in landscape; a photo taken with the phone held "upside down" (button to left instead of right) will render upside down.

How do I fix this?

Meaning:
  1. How do I edit the photo, once its orientation confuses Facebook, so that it posts oriented correctly?
  2. How do I make the phone intelligent enough - like my former phone, like iphones, etc. - to save image information so the image posts to Facebook the same way it renders on my computer (right side up, or, if intended that way, portrait)?

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Okay, posting, for the record, the solution to the (easier) question 1:

One has to edit the ORIGINAL (not edited) photo, and orient it wrong, to make it post correctly to Facebook.

That is:
  • If the photo posts upside down to FB despite being correct, edit the original (and save the edited copy separately) to appear upside down. It will look right on FB.
  • If the photo posts 90 degrees off to FB (that is, landscape instead of portrait), edit the ORIGINAL 90 degrees off (for example, if it posts to FB 90 degrees clockwise from how it ought to be, rotate it 90 degrees CCW and save the result in a new file) - post that to FB and it will orient correctly.

So - of course, never edit and save over the original - until this is fixed (my #2 question at the original post) - by editing the original file, and saving a copy oriented wrong, that copy, posted to FB, will orient right.

But there's something in the original file that makes this the only starting point from which this will work. Starting from an already-edited file, and re-orienting and saving, the photo will still orient wrong on FB.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I believe someone else mentioned to toggle the HDR setting in the camera and that seems to fix the issue. I tried it and it worked for me. My photos were posting to FB 90 degrees and now they are correct - when posting from my phone.

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Regarding the HDR toggle, could you be more specific?

I had HDR turned off. Not sure what default was, but I'd played with the setting before, because of the orientation issue. Now I've turned it on and I guess I could test if it worked.

Does "toggle" mean:
  1. Change setting from on to off (or vice-versa), then immediately back to the original setting?
  2. Change the setting only once
  3. Change the setting, exit the settings dialog, then at a later time come back and change it to what it had previously been
  4. Something else?

Also, I use the great free Irfanview photo viewer. There is a lossless rotation plugin, and/or an EXIF metadata editor. Can these be used to fix the orientation issue?

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I did option one. My HDR+ control is set to off, so I turned it on and then off again. And then my pictures no longer rotated.

I believe there was a thread on this board about it. You may need to do a search using "Facebook" to find it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34