Seriously considering taking advantage of best buy's $150 off pixel with activation offer, but I've never had a true unlocked device before. Currently on t-mobile with an unlocked AT&T lg v30. I can't take advantage of wifi calling or Hotspot because of it. I care more about the wifi calling than Hotspot, but does anyone know if I can take advantage of either with a true unlocked device? I've heard you have to have a t-mobile variant to take advantage of them, but I've also heard the opposite. Also, any benefits to choosing the t-mobile variant to an unlocked?
    11-17-2019 01:38 PM
    Apparently not - usually carrier branded versions of Pixels cost more, but in this case, evidently not, so the only advantage would be the lower price. (I'd go with someone with a nanoSIM for another carrier and swap it in the demo phone in the store, just to be sure.) And they shouldn't be SIM-locked. (Verizon locks the bootloader, but I doubt that TMO does.)

(If it's SIM-locked and you're on a monthly plan, they'll unlock it in 40 days, but if you're on a prepaid plan, either it has to be on the plan for a year, or has to have had at least $100 in refills. See https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibil...-unlock-policy)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-17-2019 02:29 PM