Replace a Pixel 2 with a Pixel 3a?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When this gets done restoring should she have all the apps she had on her old phone? Will it restore all the Zedge and custom ringtones I put on her old phone?

Previously installed apps should reinstall, but it's worth comparing afterwards, because it's not always perfect. Custom ringtones won't reinstall -- you'll have to get them back on the phone physically, since ringtones themselves aren't apps.

Couple things I noticed with only having messed with it for an afternoon is the ringtone volume seems awfully low compared to my Pixel 2. I went into Sounds and set ringtone volume wide open but still sounds low to me. I did put custom ringtones on my 2 plus download some ringtones from Zedge so possibly they’re recorded at a higher level.

In my experience, preinstalled ringtones tend to be relatively quiet these days, which is why I always use custom tones. I just checked a few of the preinstalled ones on my 3 XL, and they're definitely on the subdued side compared to my custom retro '80s arcade game ringtones.

The other thing is sound quality on my end when she called me after I got home... her voice had a little echo sound to it. I hope this was a one-time thing and not normal with calls.

This can sometimes be related to the secondary mic at the top of the phone being blocked -- if she has a case on, tell her to take the case off and see if the echo persists.

Hope your wife's knees get better and she can get out of there soon!:)

1countryboy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy for the follow-up answers!

I'd like to ask you one more question do you find your 3 XL to be extremely large carrying around?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy for the follow-up answers!

I'd like to ask you one more question do you find your 3 XL to be extremely large carrying around?
The 3xl was smaller then the other flagship phones I have . So to answer your question i didn't find it big carrying around,.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally used to the XL size ever since I went from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6P, such that holding a smaller Pixel seems very odd to me. I think the 3 XL is about as large a phone as I'd want to carry, though (and it's actually a little bulkier than it really is, since I always use a case). The larger screen and battery are very much worth it to me.

1countryboy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I’ve just been comparing the physical dimensions of the 3 & 4 and they appear to be identical with the 4 having a slightly larger screen. So after handing my wife’s 3 it doesn’t seem very big to me so I’m sure I’d feel the same about a 4. Also according to the specs the 3 XL & 4 XL are pretty much the same size with the latter slightly being bigger. Also as you mentioned the phones do get bigger with cases but I think that since the phones are now narrower (at least compared to my 2) it has to create a smaller feeling in hand.

My next upgrade may be a 4 or 5 XL but gosh they’re so dang expensive even used which would be the route I’d go.

Last edited:

1countryboy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Could always wait for the hoped-for 4a, which should build on the 3a's success and quality.

Never thought about that guess it would depend on how much of a sacrifice you’d make compared to the 4. It was one thing to consider a 3a for my wife but I kind of like the finer things when it comes to electronics. Lol!

So do you know a time line for possibly a 4a?

With the Pixel 3’s you have to use proprietary/approved wireless chargers and with the Pixel 4’s you don’t... is it possible a future software update could fix this on the 3’s? I’m kind of interested in Wireless charging but don’t like the fact you’re forced into using more expensive chargers and your choices are limited.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The 3a was released this past May, so if Google's going to do it, I'd guess it'd be around that time next year as well.

Dr Blazer

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I switched from a Pixel 2 to a Pixel 3a because I broke the screen on my 2 and the glad back. I was going to pay to fix the screen, glass back and battery but just before Black Friday Amazon was selling the 3a for $250, so I bought a 3a instead of fixing my 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a Pixel 2 to a Pixel 3a because I broke the screen on my 2 and the glad back. I was going to pay to fix the screen, glass back and battery but just before Black Friday Amazon was selling the 3a for $250, so I bought a 3a instead of fixing my 2

So how do you like it?

1countryboy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm still trying to decide what to do after getting my wife a Pixel 3 and seeing the bigger screen compared to my 2 I kind of want to upgrade. I've been doing a lot of size comparisons via Phonearena and boy do XL's seem big compared to a 2, 3, or 4. On the other hand I find my wife's 3 to be a little narrow to my liking makes the phone seems smaller than my 2... but possibly something I would get used to after using a few days. Do you think a bigger case would negate the feeling of the 3 being too narrow?

I have really small hands so I do worry about an XL being too big for my hands. I can hold the 2 fine in one hand but I normally use two hands for everything... I hold the phone in my left hand and use my thumb of my right hand to do everything else. Kind of wondering how an XL would affect my normal use of the phone.

Also would I have to use a holster to carry it or will it fit in my pocket?

I had planned to pickup a Pixel 3 XL this morning but I've got to think this through for before I make a move. Actually think I need a Pixel somewhere between a regular size and an XL. :D

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I do think a case would probably make it feel wide enough. I always use a case, and the one I have (from Moment -- I like their line of attachable lenses) adds some nice heft and protection.

1countryboy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I do think a case would probably make it feel wide enough. I always use a case, and the one I have (from Moment -- I like their line of attachable lenses) adds some nice heft and protection.

Yeah I think I'm leaning that way I really do want to be able to carry in my pocket. The only negative I've read about the 3 being narrow is maybe not as easy to use the keyboard but don't know if this is an exaggeration or not.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Pixel 2 is way smaller than 3a, so take that into consideration. The pixel 2 xl is still a better buy than the 3a or 3a xl IMO.

1countryboy

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually ended up picking up a 3 XL and it’s pretty nice! I compared the 4 XL, 3 XL, and 3a XL in a Verizon store and if money was no object I preferred the profile of the 4 XL best followed by the 3a XL then the 3 XL. The 3 XL just seemed a little fatter than the other two but the 4 XL is too new to find used at a good price and the 3a XL didn’t allow for wireless charging... thus I got a 3 XL.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
There is very little I miss from my Pixel 2 after moving to the 3a XL. The free unlimited google photo uploads, slightly faster load times when processing a photo, and the last for me is no more notification LED. I never see that mentioned anywhere so I suppose I'm the only one that misses it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2