Will AOD drain a lot of battery

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious if the always on display drains the battery on the 4xl? I've always had the feature turned off in the past, but I thought I'd give it a try but just wondered if it drains the battery.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Edit. I initially confused Always On with the Ready option right next to always on. I am trying Always On today, I am curious to see how much battery it uses.

Last edited:

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I've tried it without didn't notice much of a savings in battery ...I don't believe in not using features on the phone ...

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
To me the answer is yes, it will drain enough to think about disabling it.

At the end of a day when your battery percentage is low, you should see AOD in the battery usage stats is quite up there.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
It's the top battery drain for me but I don't care. It's an essential feature.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200521-162252.jpg
    Screenshot_20200521-162252.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 28

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
This is why I like having choices with phone OS's. After using Always On today I kind of prefer the On When Nearby option, I can just wave my hand or tsp my phone and see the time and any new notifications. But I can see why people would like always on. I'm gonna leave it on all day and evening and see what my battery is like at bedtime.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
This huge battery drain right here, proves my point that AOD should never have totally replaced the simple notification LED.

I would never want to waste a whole quarter of my battery for a substitute to the old but trusty LED, as seen on the BlackBerry's, Samsung's until S10, Pixel 2 XL, OnePlus 6, UniHertz Titan, etc...

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't ever, ever want a phone with a blinking LED again.
Same here.

As for the AOD, I don't like being without it but when I was using a OnePlus device I grew to not mind that it only came on when I got a notification which I like, then I know when I need to look. I've actually gotten to like the "idle lock screen" and "reach to check phone" features of motions sense. They seem to work well and when I'm not using it the screen is off. Want to check the time just waive my hand near it.

As for the rest of motion sense, couldn't make it work consistently so it's off.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Always On display didn't use an excessive amount of battery in my case yesterday.
aafed559f54aa1aaf005185dd3dae5e9.jpg

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Your projected battery life is over 2 1/2 days based on this chart, which is an outlier compared to most others. Doesn't seem that you're using the phone too much, so it makes sense that ambient display would be a substantial percentage. For those that use the phone often and get a day at best, ambient display would be much lower. Doesn't appear that ambient display affects battery enough to be concerned about.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Your projected battery life is over 2 1/2 days based on this chart, which is an outlier compared to most others. Doesn't seem that you're using the phone too much, so it makes sense that ambient display would be a substantial percentage. For those that use the phone often and get a day at best, ambient display would be much lower. Doesn't appear that ambient display affects battery enough to be concerned about.

Very true. I've been pretty engrossed in work the last few days and therefore a lot more on my laptop than on my phone. I understand that what I posted is far from "typical use." Just an example of how AOD can be a big % drain if you're not using the phone much.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it uses up that much battery. I think things like having your phone off of Auto-Brightness (or whatever it's called - I haven't had much coffee yet today lool) puts more of a drain on your battery.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
This huge battery drain right here, proves my point that AOD should never have totally replaced the simple notification LED.

I would never want to waste a whole quarter of my battery for a substitute to the old but trusty LED, as seen on the BlackBerry's, Samsung's until S10, Pixel 2 XL, OnePlus 6, UniHertz Titan, etc...

I miss my blinking led light!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I miss my blinking led light!
It's such a power efficient and effective way to notify... especially when you can select a color for each app.

On WhatsApp it already lets you choose a color for a specific contact/group if you want to.
But most apps don't have that kind of integration, they'll just blink a random color and you can't change it without a third party app like Light Flow Legacy for example (which is the best I've tried)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae