I'm just curious if the always on display drains the battery on the 4xl? I've always had the feature turned off in the past, but I thought I'd give it a try but just wondered if it drains the battery.
    05-20-2020 11:28 PM
    05-20-2020 11:41 PM
    Edit. I initially confused Always On with the Ready option right next to always on. I am trying Always On today, I am curious to see how much battery it uses.
    05-21-2020 07:14 AM
    I've tried it without didn't notice much of a savings in battery ...I don't believe in not using features on the phone ...
    Scott337 likes this.
    05-21-2020 07:45 AM
    To me the answer is yes, it will drain enough to think about disabling it.

At the end of a day when your battery percentage is low, you should see AOD in the battery usage stats is quite up there.
    05-21-2020 07:47 AM
    It's the top battery drain for me but I don't care. It's an essential feature.
    Attached Thumbnails Will AOD drain a lot of battery-screenshot_20200521-162252.jpg  
    05-21-2020 03:27 PM
    This is why I like having choices with phone OS's. After using Always On today I kind of prefer the On When Nearby option, I can just wave my hand or tsp my phone and see the time and any new notifications. But I can see why people would like always on. I'm gonna leave it on all day and evening and see what my battery is like at bedtime.
    05-21-2020 03:42 PM
    This huge battery drain right here, proves my point that AOD should never have totally replaced the simple notification LED.

I would never want to waste a whole quarter of my battery for a substitute to the old but trusty LED, as seen on the BlackBerry's, Samsung's until S10, Pixel 2 XL, OnePlus 6, UniHertz Titan, etc...
    05-21-2020 04:21 PM
    I don't ever, ever want a phone with a blinking LED again.
    Ben_70 likes this.
    05-21-2020 04:23 PM
    Same here.

As for the AOD, I don't like being without it but when I was using a OnePlus device I grew to not mind that it only came on when I got a notification which I like, then I know when I need to look. I've actually gotten to like the "idle lock screen" and "reach to check phone" features of motions sense. They seem to work well and when I'm not using it the screen is off. Want to check the time just waive my hand near it.

As for the rest of motion sense, couldn't make it work consistently so it's off.
    05-21-2020 09:54 PM
    Always On display didn't use an excessive amount of battery in my case yesterday.
    05-22-2020 06:52 AM
    Your projected battery life is over 2 1/2 days based on this chart, which is an outlier compared to most others. Doesn't seem that you're using the phone too much, so it makes sense that ambient display would be a substantial percentage. For those that use the phone often and get a day at best, ambient display would be much lower. Doesn't appear that ambient display affects battery enough to be concerned about.
    05-22-2020 08:31 AM
    Your projected battery life is over 2 1/2 days based on this chart, which is an outlier compared to most others. Doesn't seem that you're using the phone too much, so it makes sense that ambient display would be a substantial percentage. For those that use the phone often and get a day at best, ambient display would be much lower. Doesn't appear that ambient display affects battery enough to be concerned about.
    Very true. I've been pretty engrossed in work the last few days and therefore a lot more on my laptop than on my phone. I understand that what I posted is far from "typical use." Just an example of how AOD can be a big % drain if you're not using the phone much.
    05-22-2020 11:06 AM
    I don't think it uses up that much battery. I think things like having your phone off of Auto-Brightness (or whatever it's called - I haven't had much coffee yet today lool) puts more of a drain on your battery.
    05-22-2020 11:22 AM
    Lol
    05-23-2020 10:21 PM
    What did this poor thing ever do to you?Will AOD drain a lot of battery-b-1-notifications.jpeg
    Scott337 and Morty2264 like this.
    05-23-2020 10:24 PM
    This huge battery drain right here, proves my point that AOD should never have totally replaced the simple notification LED.

I would never want to waste a whole quarter of my battery for a substitute to the old but trusty LED, as seen on the BlackBerry's, Samsung's until S10, Pixel 2 XL, OnePlus 6, UniHertz Titan, etc...
    I miss my blinking led light!
    05-24-2020 01:35 AM
    I miss my blinking led light!
    It's such a power efficient and effective way to notify... especially when you can select a color for each app.

On WhatsApp it already lets you choose a color for a specific contact/group if you want to.
    But most apps don't have that kind of integration, they'll just blink a random color and you can't change it without a third party app like Light Flow Legacy for example (which is the best I've tried)
    05-24-2020 07:38 AM
    What did this poor thing ever do to you?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b-1-notifications.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	320847
    I do miss that light at times - and BlackBerry, too!
    mustang7757 and the_boon like this.
    05-24-2020 09:22 AM
    I do miss that light at times - and BlackBerry, too!
    I like the notification led light
    the_boon and Morty2264 like this.
    05-24-2020 09:46 AM
    I like the notification led light
    I also liked how you could customize it to be different colours for different people with the "Who Is It?" app. My brother was blue, Mom was white. Good times!
    mustang7757 likes this.
    Yesterday 08:21 AM
    I also liked how you could customize it to be different colours for different people with the "Who Is It?" app. My brother was blue, Mom was white. Good times!
    Yes
    Morty2264 likes this.
    Yesterday 08:56 AM
    Yep, unlike today where you have to pick up the device and/or turn the screen on to see who sent you a message...

Even with AOD, you have to get close to it to see what it's about.

A flashing LED can be seen from across the room (unless it's the crappy one as seen in the OnePlus 6 or KEY2 LE)

Sometimes technology DOES take steps backwards
    Morty2264 likes this.
    Yesterday 09:21 AM
    Yep, unlike today where you have to pick up the device or turn the screen on to see who sent you a message...

Or if you have AOD on , but doesn't catch the eye like led notification light .
    Yesterday 09:23 AM
    Yep, unlike today where you have to pick up the device and/or turn the screen on to see who sent you a message...

Even with AOD, you have to get close to it to see what it's about.

A flashing LED can be seen from across the room (unless it's the crappy one as seen in the OnePlus 6 or KEY2 LE)

I agree with you about that. Seeing a blue LED light from across the room would have told me, even if my phone was on vibrate, that my brother was messaging me.

Whereas now, I can definitely assign a different notification tone for my brother and other Favourite contacts, if my phone is on vibrse, the lack of LED will not tell me who has messaged me.

All in all, I love LED and AOD, for different reasons.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    Yesterday 12:32 PM
28 12