OK, I did it. Got the Pixel 4 XL!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
So was browsing local Facebook Pixel 4 XL posts and came across a brand new sealed white 128gb Google unlocked 8 miles away from me. I made a $500 offer and the guy accepted. Picked up the phone Saturday evening!!!!

Even though I had zero intentions replacing my Pixel 3 XL, $500 for a brand new 128gb is a deal I just simply could not say no to.

I love how the phone looks. That flat white is nice! I thought the top bezel will look ugly but it's actually much better looking than that pixel 3 XL notch.
Face unlock works on most of my apps, so was pleasantly surprised. Things feel a bit more polished and refined when compared to my Pixel 3 XL but the experience is not that much different. Again, for the price, this was a must deal I HAD to take. I have smooth display on but honestly, I can't notice the difference lol. I even forgot this phone had it until I checked the setting to make sure it is enabled.

Crossing my fingers battery does good, otherwise so far I am a happy camper. I guess I won't be picking up a pixel 5 XL anytime soon lol.

Cheers guys!!

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So was browsing local Facebook Pixel 4 XL posts and came across a brand new sealed white 128gb Google unlocked 8 miles away from me. I made a $500 offer and the guy accepted. Picked up the phone Saturday evening!!!!

Even though I had zero intentions replacing my Pixel 3 XL, $500 for a brand new 128gb is a deal I just simply could not say no to.

I love how the phone looks. That flat white is nice! I thought the top bezel will look ugly but it's actually much better looking than that pixel 3 XL notch.
Face unlock works on most of my apps, so was pleasantly surprised. Things feel a bit more polished and refined when compared to my Pixel 3 XL but the experience is not that much different. Again, for the price, this was a must deal to HAD to take. I have smooth display on but honestly, I can't notice the difference lol. I even forgot this phone had it until I checked the setting to make sure it is enabled.

Crossing my fingers battery does good, otherwise so far I am a happy camper. I guess I won't be picking up a pixel 5 XL anytime soon lol.

Cheers guys!!
Awesomeness, congratulations! Yeah I mean from what I've heard, the 4xl is pretty good with battery and you're going to have a great time with the phone! Congratulations again!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Face unlock works on most of my apps, so was pleasantly surprised. Things feel a bit more polished and refined when compared to my Pixel 3 XL but the experience is not that much different. Again, for the price, this was a must deal to HAD to take. I have smooth display on but honestly, I can't notice the difference lol. I even forgot this phone had it until I checked the setting to make sure it is enabled.

Cheers guys!!
Congrats you won't be disappointed. I've had mine since launch and no issues at all. The battery had been nothing it amazing for me average about 5-7 hours or screen on time depending on what I use it for. When I play Stadia etc it goes more on the 5 hour range but the days I don't game heavy it's in the upper range. As long as you have the XL the battery is exceptional. Good luck and welcome.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Congrats you won't be disappointed. I've had mine since launch and no issues at all. The battery had been nothing it amazing for me average about 5-7 hours or screen on time depending on what I use it for. When I play Stadia etc it goes more on the 5 hour range but the days I don't game heavy it's in the upper range. As long as you have the XL the battery is exceptional. Good luck and welcome.
Granted it's not the same phone, but I'm at Pixel 3 XL with the notch, when the Pixel 3 XL came out, everyone bashed the notch oh how could Google do this How could Google do this?? It's not intrusive, has a great advantage and you get used to it very quickly. Same thing with the Pixel 4 XL's, the battery life is good from what I've heard. And just enjoy the phone and love it for what it is!

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Congrats...I've never used the 3 but the 4 sure is a great phone for me ... No hiccups and happy with battery ... Let that phone settle in you will see ... and running it at 90hz all the time ... great deal ...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, yes, exactly! Every phone has its advantages, and it's disadvantages. However, without being true haters for a product, Pixel 3 / Pixel 4's are great great phones. I really hope everyone enjoys their pixels at the end of the day!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Congrats! That was indeed too good to pass up of a deal.

And by the way, you can hide the notch on your 3 XL in the developer options, I think it's the "simulate display with cutout" option.
This will turn off all the Pixels in the notch area so it will look basically like a 2 XL.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Congrats! That was indeed too good to pass up of a deal.

And by the way, you can hide the notch on your 3 XL in the developer options, I think it's the "simulate display with cutout" option.
This will turn off all the Pixels in the notch area so it will look basically like a 2 XL.
Yes, yes, you're absolutely right. However, if you decide to hide the notch in developer options. Then you lose screen real estate on the top of your screen. That's the unfortunate part. And it just makes the screen look weird because you still see the area above the notch next to it.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Cheers guys!!

Congrats!! That is an excellent price. I just picked up a Pixel 4 XL a couple months ago when they had the sales. I paid $700 for the 128 gig model. Welcome!

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No you didn't..
06d99a5819afcbfdc73bee9d65d756bb.gif

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Yes, yes, you're absolutely right. However, if you decide to hide the notch in developer options. Then you lose screen real estate on the top of your screen. That's the unfortunate part. And it just makes the screen look weird because you still see the area above the notch next to it.

So it does move the status bar down and basically acts like a 2 XL where the entire top is a bezel right?

Still worth it to me!

How do you still see the areas next to the notch if all those OLED pixels are off?

Maybe it would help blend it in if you use a tempered glass protector that isn't shaped around the notch and covers everything up

Apparently using the Nacho Notch method will black out the notch area but keep the status bar information there.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So it does move the status bar down and basically acts like a 2 XL where the entire top is a bezel right?

Still worth it to me!

How do you still see the areas next to the notch if all those OLED pixels are off?

Maybe it would help blend it in if you use a tempered glass protector that isn't shaped around the notch and covers everything up
Good question I thought an actual screenshot in that developer settings mode would help out.
8603bf0a0c1129b599e928b005f993de.jpg

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Can't tell from that screenshot but man that's a tiny font size
Haha, hey, thanks dude... I appreciate it. Honestly, I have 20/20 vision so for me that's big lol sorry if that wasn't a good reference point in the screenshot. Basically, if you choose to hide the notch, then you do get a rounded curvy top of the screen however everything gets pushed down notifications battery meter Wi-Fi cellular data meter etc. You lose about half an inch to an inch of screen real estate when you choose to hide the notch.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If I recall correctly, I do remember how you kept on saying for months that 4 XL phone is bad and the 3 XL is a better phone etc

4 XL remains the best Pixel Google has made till date and it should be that way anyway since newer is better. Most of the points you made we kept on saying but many people kept on hating the phone even without using or owning one. And yes everyone knew the price is expensive but the phone itself is great.

Welcome to 4 XL and enjoy the phone, that's a good deal for the 128 GB model.

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
If I recall correctly, I do remember how you kept on saying for months that 4 XL phone is bad and the 3 XL is a better phone etc

4 XL remains the best Pixel Google has made till date and it should be that way anyway since newer is better. Most of the points you made we kept on saying but many people kept on hating the phone even without using or owning one.

Anyway welcome to 4 XL and enjoy the phone, that's a good deal for the 128 GB model.
Didn't say it was bad. I remember bashing the 64gb base storage, the laughable trade in value, and taking away free original quality photo backup. All of that still stands and will still not recommend someone pay $1000 for this phone, ESPECIALLY if they have pixel 3 xl. It is better than pixel 3 xl, of course it is, it's the latest phone, but no, it's still not worth upgrading for that price. Now if folks can get a 128gb version for $600 or less, it's a different story :)

This was the 1st time I didn't pre order a pixel. So holding out for months was for a reason hehehe.

Selling pixel 3 xl to make this even a cheaper phone to own :)

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

Face unlock works on most of my apps, so was pleasantly surprised. Things feel a bit more polished and refined when compared to my Pixel 3 XL but the experience is not that much different. Again, for the price, this was a must deal I HAD to take. I have smooth display on but honestly, I can't notice the difference lol. I even forgot this phone had it until I checked the setting to make sure it is enabled.

Cheers guys!!
Well done! Happy Phone week. The 4xl is a smooth experience and the screen is beautiful. I gave mine to my husband to replace his broken 2xl and he loves it. Has no problems with lag or screen response. His battery life is as expected for his use and he couldn't be happier with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci