I've always been a Samsung fan since the Galaxy series began. I've had the S1, S2, S4, S7 edge, S9+ and finally the S20 ultra. For me, after making phone calls and sending text messages, the camera is one of the most important features of a phone and Samsung has never disappointed me until I used the s20 Ultra. I'm sure you all know the problems it has so I won't go over them but the pictures I took were nowhere near what they should be for a phone that expensive! The phone itself was great, it had some amazing specs but it was such a overkill for what I need out of my phone. I usually just take photos, edit them and do social media on my phone, I'm not into mobile games or anything like that so nothing about that phone justified the price for me.

So after using it for a few weeks I returned it and picked up a new 128gb Pixel 4 XL that was on sale for $599. I've heard the hype of pixel cameras so I figured at that price it was worth a try and holy smokes!! I was instantly impressed with not just the camera, which is amazing btw, but with the phone itself! Even with a spec sheet that is nowhere close to a s20 ultra it still does everything with ease. Editing RAW photos in Lightroom mobile is probably one of the heaviest RAM consuming things I do on a phone and the pixel didn't lag or run slow a bit. But even using the phone for every day things like running and switching through apps is seamless. I was a little worried about battery life cause I've heard all the horror stories and while it's not near as long of a battery life as the Ultra, it still gets me through my day just fine, with usually 30% or more left when I charge it up at night. Now the camera really surprised me! I've been so used to Samsung cameras that I forgot how much they can oversaturate and oversharpen pictures. I'm also really impressed with the Pixels low light pictures! I might actually leave my DSLR at home more often now. I do wish they had a manual mode in the camera but I really only used that for night pictures with my samsungs and I didn't use it that often. But the option would be nice to have.

After using Samsung phones for as long as I can remember there's things the Pixel 4 XL has that I really missed about smartphones. A flat screen is one of those things. The edge screens on Samsungs are nice but finding a decent priced glass screen protector for it was impossible. And as someone who uses a lot of Google Home products like the Nest thermostat, home hub and a couple of nest minis, the pixel just flows more naturally with them. I also find myself using the squeeze feature to use the Google Assistant a lot more than I thought I would. In some cases it's just easier than saying Hey Google.

The only downsides to the phone for me are the lack of a fingerprint scanner and lack of a microSD card slot. I reallllly miss having a microSD card. I've never been a fan of using Google photos and organizing photos in a dedicated photo gallery app is just was easier imo. It literally took me over 48 hours to upload all the photos and 4k videos I had on my microSD card to Google photos and many more hours to organize them all. Having Samsungs secure folder is also something I miss, it was nice to have a secure place for things like logins and passwords.

So while many people may prefer the crazy impressive specs of the s20, I found that a so called "mid range" phone was actually way better...for me at least. For the things I need my phone to do, I found a $600 phone did it just as good, and in the case of the camera, way better than a $1400 phone.
    06-03-2020 03:14 PM
    It depends on the type of photography you do. There are certainly things the Pixel camera does better, but just as certainly, there are things it does not do as well.
    benjamminh likes this.
    06-03-2020 03:29 PM
    Samsung fan here myself. My latest Samsung phones were S8, Note 8, Note 9, and Note 10 plus. Agree on the camera front. It's the reason I keep coming back to Google. Samsung like to overexpose and my kids always blurry mess on Samsung cameras even on note 10+(better that previous Samsung phones though).

Missing the spen tons but the exceptional pictures this phone takes wins me over again and again.
    MoreDef likes this.
    06-03-2020 07:29 PM
    Yikes 48 hours to upload all your micro sd photos and vids? How many gigs?
    I went all in on Google photos and even bought an upgraded package for $20 for more space. Uploaded years of old photos and documents. Spent time going through them deleting the duplicates or bad photos no longer needed.

Lost a SDD drive due to failure 3 years ago and learned my lesson that everything needs backed up to the cloud.

I agree with your experience on the Pixel camera. Its so reliable you never really have to worry if a photo is going to come out bad.

I also hate curved screens with a passion. Hopefully Samsung keeps moving back to a flatter screen.
    06-03-2020 08:22 PM
    I've always been a Samsung fan since the Galaxy series began. I've had the S1, S2, S4, S7 edge, S9+ and finally the S20 ultra. For me, after making phone calls and sending text messages, the camera is one of the most important features of a phone and Samsung has never disappointed me until I used the s20 Ultra. I'm sure you all know the problems it has so I won't go over them but the pictures I took were nowhere near what they should be for a phone that expensive! The phone itself was great, it had some amazing specs but it was such a overkill for what I need out of my phone. I usually just take photos, edit them and do social media on my phone, I'm not into mobile games or anything like that so nothing about that phone justified the price for me.

So after using it for a few weeks I returned it and picked up a new 128gb Pixel 4 XL that was on sale for $599. I've heard the hype of pixel cameras so I figured at that price it was worth a try and holy smokes!! I was instantly impressed with not just the camera, which is amazing btw, but with the phone itself! Even with a spec sheet that is nowhere close to a s20 ultra it still does everything with ease. Editing RAW photos in Lightroom mobile is probably one of the heaviest RAM consuming things I do on a phone and the pixel didn't lag or run slow a bit. But even using the phone for every day things like running and switching through apps is seamless. I was a little worried about battery life cause I've heard all the horror stories and while it's not near as long of a battery life as the Ultra, it still gets me through my day just fine, with usually 30% or more left when I charge it up at night. Now the camera really surprised me! I've been so used to Samsung cameras that I forgot how much they can oversaturate and oversharpen pictures. I'm also really impressed with the Pixels low light pictures! I might actually leave my DSLR at home more often now. I do wish they had a manual mode in the camera but I really only used that for night pictures with my samsungs and I didn't use it that often. But the option would be nice to have.

After using Samsung phones for as long as I can remember there's things the Pixel 4 XL has that I really missed about smartphones. A flat screen is one of those things. The edge screens on Samsungs are nice but finding a decent priced glass screen protector for it was impossible. And as someone who uses a lot of Google Home products like the Nest thermostat, home hub and a couple of nest minis, the pixel just flows more naturally with them. I also find myself using the squeeze feature to use the Google Assistant a lot more than I thought I would. In some cases it's just easier than saying Hey Google.

The only downsides to the phone for me are the lack of a fingerprint scanner and lack of a microSD card slot. I reallllly miss having a microSD card. I've never been a fan of using Google photos and organizing photos in a dedicated photo gallery app is just was easier imo. It literally took me over 48 hours to upload all the photos and 4k videos I had on my microSD card to Google photos and many more hours to organize them all. Having Samsungs secure folder is also something I miss, it was nice to have a secure place for things like logins and passwords.

So while many people may prefer the crazy impressive specs of the s20, I found that a so called "mid range" phone was actually way better...for me at least. For the things I need my phone to do, I found a $600 phone did it just as good, and in the case of the camera, way better than a $1400 phone.
    Congrats , hope you enjoy !
    06-03-2020 09:07 PM
    It depends on the type of photography you do. There are certainly things the Pixel camera does better, but just as certainly, there are things it does not do as well.
    Very true, but so far the pixel camera hasn't disappointed yet. I do miss having manual controls for long exposure photography but I always have my DSLR for that.
    06-03-2020 09:11 PM
    Yikes 48 hours to upload all your micro sd photos and vids? How many gigs?
    I went all in on Google photos and even bought an upgraded package for $20 for more space. Uploaded years of old photos and documents. Spent time going through them deleting the duplicates or bad photos no longer needed.

Lost a SDD drive due to failure 3 years ago and learned my lesson that everything needs backed up to the cloud.

I agree with your experience on the Pixel camera. Its so reliable you never really have to worry if a photo is going to come out bad.

I also hate curved screens with a passion. Hopefully Samsung keeps moving back to a flatter screen.
    It was about 54gbs of pictures (jpeg and RAW) and quite a few 4k videos.
    I also got the upgraded storage with Google 1 for 100gbs. I'm actually gonna delete the 4k videos cause they take up way too much room. I'm a hobbyist photographer and I hear ya on backing stuff up. I quadruple back up all my photos. Once on my computer, 2 back up drives and now on Google photos. I figure since my videos are already backed up on 3 devices I don't need them taking up space on my Google cloud.
    06-03-2020 09:17 PM
    Speaking of Google Photos, I had 3 drives in my safe from computers. Finally bought an adapter and moved about 18,000 pictures and 3,000 videos to Google Photos. Dated back to 2002 when we got our first digital camera. Turned out to be about 115GB
    06-03-2020 09:28 PM

If I could get one for that price I would buy as well.
    06-04-2020 06:20 AM
    Great pick up ..congrats and welcome to Pixel family
    mustang7757 likes this.
    06-04-2020 07:53 AM
    If I could get one for that price I would buy as well.
    Have you looked on Swappa? I picked up my Pixel 4XL for $450 new - open box. That's a 64GB, I think the 128 GB were selling for about $100 more if there are any (they sell very fast).
    bkdodger2 likes this.
    06-04-2020 08:02 AM
    Good time to buy one when they are finally at a price inline with the specs/experience.
    Enjoy.

As above, depends what you shoot. Overall any pixel has not been any better or worse than the same period note for me. And no manual control is a killer. I keep trying them though. Can't cope with the rest of the package daily unfortunately.

I have over 500Gb sitting on GoogleOne, Amazon AWS and OneDrive. Still have the physical drives at home but no longer actively back up at home. Those days are gone. Digitising the old poloroids was fun. . Seems I got my first digital in 2001.
    06-04-2020 08:12 AM
    While on the subject of manual controls, is there a good 3rd party app for that? I tried ProCam X and it was so buggy I couldn't stand it. Then there was Moments app but that has been killed off and has terrible reviews.
    06-04-2020 04:53 PM
    While on the subject of manual controls, is there a good 3rd party app for that? I tried ProCam X and it was so buggy I couldn't stand it. Then there was Moments app but that has been killed off and has terrible reviews.
    The Moment app was designed for Moment lenses
    06-04-2020 07:04 PM
    I have the moment app, only camera app I've bothered to use in years besides Samsungs or Googles. From what I can tell app works great on my Note 8, don't have the moment lenses, but it gives me manual video control that the Samsung app doesn't.

It's my understanding a lot of bad reviews are due to it lacking features and abilities the iPhone equivalent has, and that is why it ultimately got discontinued. Essentially they designed their cases to utilize any lens on the phone like they do iPhone but Samsung and other OEMs never gave them access to anything but the main camera.

While it works for me, not sure I could recommend anyone buy it at this point.
    06-04-2020 08:40 PM
    I have the moment app, only camera app I've bothered to use in years besides Samsungs or Googles. From what I can tell app works great on my Note 8, don't have the moment lenses, but it gives me manual video control that the Samsung app doesn't.

It's my understanding a lot of bad reviews are due to it lacking features and abilities the iPhone equivalent has, and that is why it ultimately got discontinued. Essentially they designed their cases to utilize any lens on the phone like they do iPhone but Samsung and other OEMs never gave them access to anything but the main camera.

While it works for me, not sure I could recommend anyone buy it at this point.
    Even though some of the moment cases have more than one hole the lenses don't work with anything but the main lens because the focal length does not match up with all of the sensors using the stock app.
    06-04-2020 08:55 PM
    Have you looked on Swappa? I picked up my Pixel 4XL for $450 new - open box. That's a 64GB, I think the 128 GB were selling for about $100 more if there are any (they sell very fast).
    I've never been on Swappa but I'll give it a look see.

Thanks
    06-06-2020 06:25 AM
    Swappa and even eBay is a great place to buy phones. If you buy and its not as described, pay pal will almost always take the your (the buyers) side.
    06-30-2020 01:40 AM