Does leaving my phone on the wireless charger overnight hurt the battery?

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
I usually like to keep the phone playing some sleep music on Vanced so I keep my Pixel 4 on my Samsung Galaxy Fast Wireless Charger overnight. Will this hurt the battery on the long run due to overcharging?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
These discussions usually involve some heated debate about whether that is OK or not OK to do. I have always put my phones on the OEM charger every night when I go to bed and leave it there while I sleep. I've never had a battery fail prematurely from this. But others claim that will hurt your battery over time. And you can find "expert" documentation supporting both arguments if you search online.

Last edited:

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't overcharge, the battery and phone have management circuitry to prevent this. My phones are on the charger all night, and nary a problem with either of them. I run iHeart Radio to sleep by, myself.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, agree. Whether I'm charging it with the actual quick charger brick, or USB charging off my laptop, I leave it charging for hours. And my battery never loses a charge cycle or looks like it's depleting faster than normal.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not over-charging that's the concern, it's holding at a high charge level (over roughly 75%) that's the concern. Doing so overnight once or twice likely won't do much, but doing so nightly is likely going to shorten the overall lifespan.

stevo82

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've wirelessly charged my last 3 phones every night while I slept and never had a problem with any of their batteries. However I should note I've never kept any of them beyond 2 years when I upgraded.

stevenjb2020

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
I don't wireless charge, however I do use an app where I have set a notification at 80 percent charge - when I hear the notification, I pull the plug. There is also a low battery level notification.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair