Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL Discontinued?

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Went to my local Verizon store a couple of days ago to get my wife a new phone. Thought about snagging a Pixel 4 XL but was told they are all discontinued since the Pixel 5 is coming out soon. I have never heard of this but figured I’d see what others had to say?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't worry! I doubt the 4 line is discontinued. We've heard nothing about that here! I'm sure it'd be big news if that were to happen!

Plus, with the newest Pixel iteration set to launch in a few months, Google likes to drop the previous one down in price and will likely enjoy some revenue from that.

I did hear that the 3a line may be running out of stock. Likely the 3 line will be discontinued shortly. Unfortunate, but that's the way the cookie crumbles in the smartphone world.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Crappy carriers tell whatever they want to sell you what they just have. I never bother talking to any sales rep personally since they don't have much info than us in the forums and more over they don't work for the best interest of the consumers.

IMO

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Crappy carriers tell whatever they want to sell you what they just have. I never bother talking to any sales rep personally since they don't have much info than us in the forums and more over they don't work for the best interest of the consumers.

IMO

I don't trust sales reps - I come in knowing what I want and stick to it!

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Even though it's still operating fine, I was considering replacing my P2XL, which I normally would have upgraded when it reached two years of service back in March. On the Verizon Wireless website, it presently shows no availability for any of the P4XL models -- all three colors in both 64GB and 128GB are "out of stock." There's a note stating: "Limited online inventory, please check in-store pickup for availability." But when I enter my zip code (in Orlando, Florida), it says that there is no inventory of any P4XL at any store within 25 miles, which appears to be the limit of the search range. So as a practical matter, for me at least, Verizon is no longer selling the P4XL. Of course, I could purchase one at Best Buy or order one from Amazon. But at this point, especially since there are no enticing deals on the P4XL, I'm going to see if I can get by until the P5XL is released.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Even though it's still operating fine, I was considering replacing my P2XL, which I normally would have upgraded when it reached two years of service back in March. On the Verizon Wireless website, it presently shows no availability for any of the P4XL models -- all three colors in both 64GB and 128GB are "out of stock." There's a note stating: "Limited online inventory, please check in-store pickup for availability." But when I enter my zip code (in Orlando, Florida), it says that there is no inventory of any P4XL at any store within 25 miles, which appears to be the limit of the search range. So as a practical matter, for me at least, Verizon is no longer selling the P4XL. Of course, I could purchase one at Best Buy or order one from Amazon. But at this point, especially since there are no enticing deals on the P4XL, I'm going to see if I can get by until the P5XL is released.

I was going to state that the Pixel 5 *should* be launched soon - so if you could hold on until then, then that would be the phone to wait for. I'm also waiting on the Pixel 4a. I have high hopes for those devices.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the pixel 4 won't be discontinued until well after the Pixel 5 has been released. Hopefully we'll see some price drops on the P4 too

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the pixel 4 won't be discontinued until well after the Pixel 5 has been released. Hopefully we'll see some price drops on the P4 too

Price drops would be great! It's happened with each previous iteration when the "new" line was released, so let's hope the trend continues!

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't trust that website personally. I ended up replacing my 2 XL with a 4 XL during the black Friday sales a year and a half ago. When I was looking, VZW website said the store did not have any, but I stopped by just to see a demo one day and they had quite a few. Have u considered buying directly from Google?

OP, I have found VZW salesman to be among the worst. They know very little about phones beyond the spec sheet, which is usually limited to Samsung and Apple. That's all they care to sell in my experience.

straygator

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. FWIW, I just checked the Google Store website, and the P4XL with 128GB is shown as "out of stock" there, too. In any event, while I'm inclined at this point to wait and see what the P5XL brings to the table, I'll continue to check on availability and pricing for the P4XL. But this late into the model's life, it would take at least a $300 price drop to entice me. When I bought my P2XL at Best Buy on the Verizon 24-month plan, the retail price was discounted a total of $400. If necessary, and assuming it doesn't fail in the meantime, I'm content to keep using the P2XL until Black Friday.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. FWIW, I just checked the Google Store website, and the P4XL with 128GB is shown as "out of stock" there, too. In any event, while I'm inclined at this point to wait and see what the P5XL brings to the table, I'll continue to check on availability and pricing for the P4XL. But this late into the model's life, it would take at least a $300 price drop to entice me. When I bought my P2XL at Best Buy on the Verizon 24-month plan, the retail price was discounted a total of $400. If necessary, and assuming it doesn't fail in the meantime, I'm content to keep using the P2XL until Black Friday.

And if you wait until Black Friday, I'm sure there will be all sorts of enticing deals at your fingertips! Good plan!

Keith Case

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
One of the reasons Verizon may be saying they are out of stock of pixel 4 XL is the following. Have had motherboard replaced twice and it still does not work properly. It is an untethered(I think that is the correct terminology) phone that I put on with Verizon and I have yet to be able to use phone and data at same time. Have been on with Google customer service numerous times and so far all i get is 'We will get back to you'. Everything else is actually pretty good and I rarely have battery issues. But, for me, it is overall as worthless as an old fashioned flip phone would be to me in this day and age. Maybe google will see this and get in touch with me, one can hope. Yes, I am using this as a way to send a complaint, but since normal channels have not been working......

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
One of the reasons Verizon may be saying they are out of stock of pixel 4 XL is the following. Have had motherboard replaced twice and it still does not work properly. It is an untethered(I think that is the correct terminology) phone that I put on with Verizon and I have yet to be able to use phone and data at same time. Have been on with Google customer service numerous times and so far all i get is 'We will get back to you'. Everything else is actually pretty good and I rarely have battery issues. But, for me, it is overall as worthless as an old fashioned flip phone would be to me in this day and age. Maybe google will see this and get in touch with me, one can hope. Yes, I am using this as a way to send a complaint, but since normal channels have not been working......
Hi, welcome to Andriod Central !

Just so you know we are not affiliated with Google or any Manufacturer , just a community talking and helping with Android phones.

Keith Case

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
I do know that, but google would be foolish to not monitor this site. So, I am hoping to A) prevent anyone from making the same mistake I did as this is not an isolated incident(from extensive research on the web) and B) hopefully google will see it and fix the problem or C) maybe someone on here has a fix for it, but I truly doubt there is one as it appears to be something actually built into the phone(not sure if it is hardware or software, but the recent android update did not fix it).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I do know that, but google would be foolish to not monitor this site. So, I am hoping to A) prevent anyone from making the same mistake I did as this is not an isolated incident(from extensive research on the web) and B) hopefully google will see it and fix the problem or C) maybe someone on here has a fix for it, but I truly doubt there is one as it appears to be something actually built into the phone(not sure if it is hardware or software, but the recent android update did not fix it).
I have never heard of any OEM contacting anyone based on a number of posts here.