Someone suggested me to disable Usage Access for all apps. Thoughts?

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
Someone suggested I disable usage access for all apps excluding the Google Play Services and AR services

So I see Device Health Services, Device Personalization Services, Google, Digital well being.

I know I don't care about the Digital well being app but any harm in disabling the Device Health Services and Device Personalization Services and Google?

I want to ensure that this doesn't mess up with me receiving OTA updates for Android and do you think it will actually improve battery life?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Good question above ^^. For me, I only disable apps that I have no intention of using. I never really get too deep into disabling app usage and things like that.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Good question above ^^. For me, I only disable apps that I have no intention of using. I never really get too deep into disabling app usage and things like that.
Yeah, me too. I mean 8 disabled apps that I'm never going to use. Especially on a Pixel phone, that doesn't happen very often. Lol. I mean I turned off accessibility for digital well-being which saves a ton of battery but that's about it.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
For other folks reading this, it's important to note that turning off Usage Access isn't the same as disabling an app. Look at item no. 7 here: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how... Access,language settings, and other details.

Thanks a lot for this link! I got the answer:

Usage access allows an app to track what other apps you're using and how often, as well as your carrier, language settings, and other details. While this can be useful for specialized apps, it can be harmful if the permission falls into the wrong hands.

Settings > Apps & Notifications >
Advanced > Special App Access >
Usage Access
Scroll through the list in the above menu. Things like Digital Wellbeing, Device Health Services, Google Play Services, and other stock apps should be left alone to ensure proper functionality, but most third-party apps can safely be disabled here. To do so, select the app from this list, then tap the toggle switch next to "Permit usage access."

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
Why are you looking to disable usage access for all your applications though?

As I mentioned, this guy on another forum told me that by disabling access usage for everything but Google Play services will give me more battery life. The battery has been excellent so far that's why I made this post to see what y'all think?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As I mentioned, this guy on another forum told me that by disabling access usage for everything but Google Play services will give me more battery life. The battery has been excellent so far that's why I made this post to see what y'all think?
I don't think you'll notice much of a battery improvement there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right, I've left them alone. Although to be frank, I don't care for that Digital Well being app. Is there a way to uninstall it?
On the pixel just restricte access, permissions, on my Samsung I disable with package disabler pro but that's not for pixels.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
For me Digital Wellbeing has used 0 data and no battery since I've had my phone in April. It can't be disabled or uninstalled on my phone but I just never use it and it uses no data and no battery.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
when I disabled using the access from digital being I noticed my battery life on my Pixel 3 XL slightly improved a little bit. So for me that was enough. I never actually used digital welding app so for me just like mustang says, I didn't really care to too much.v

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Regarding: Advanced > Special App Access...I don't see this in any of my apps, system or 3rd party. Why is that?

Update. I now see that it is on the main Apps & notifications screen. Thanks! I only have one allowed that I'm not sure if I should or not, and that is "My Verizon Services."

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Whats missing,

When I first started looking for the Special App Access category, I didn't notice it listed on the main Apps & notifications screen. Sorry for the confusion. So, when I did see it listed, I clicked on it, and saw the apps asking for this Special Usage, including "My Verizon Services." I made a comment about this in the post, just above your response to me. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for checking mustang7757.