Pixel 4 and Pixel 4XL being discontinued

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Surprised they are discontinuing at the very least the XL model because it has good battery life and it's a flagship so odd to me. I mean once the pixel 5 launched then yeah sure but for now kind of weird.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yep didn't even make the anniversary

On to Pixel 5 in couple of months, have enjoyed the 4 XL and sure Pixel 5 will be great given all the criticism and hate they got on the 4 series.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yep didn't even make the anniversary

On to Pixel 5 in couple of months, have enjoyed the 4 XL and sure Pixel 5 will be great given all the criticism and hate they got on the 4 series.
To be fair maybe they are just trying to seek whatever stock they have left and getting ready for the pixel 5. I mean it's right around the corner and maybe they have enough stock for now and when they run out they don't care because of how close we are already to October if you think about it.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
They know they won't sell many more now the 4a is out and half the price of the 4 series. It comes with 128GB storage as well so some people won't want a 64GB pixel 4 with worse battery etc.
The telephoto lens on the pixel 4 was useless and so a consumer isn't missing much going back to a single camera. I hope they put an ultra wide on the 4a 5G and 5.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
They know they won't sell many more now the 4a is out and half the price of the 4 series. It comes with 128GB storage as well so some people won't want a 64GB pixel 4 with worse battery etc.
The telephoto lens on the pixel 4 was useless and so a consumer isn't missing much going back to a single camera. I hope they put an ultra wide on the 4a 5G and 5.
Yep yep, Google knows exactly what they're doing of course! I heard from the Pixel 4 customers that they telephoto lens was pretty useless as well, that most users didn't even use the telephone lens that much. As far as the price tag of a flagship Pixel 4, now, why would you spend $700-$800 when you can get the 4A for $349? I mean as long as user don't care about wireless charging, and then an official IP rating then that's a really easy choice! I mean, I would guess that most customers don't care about the wireless charging. The only thing that I might care a little bit about is an IP rating. But other than that, that's about it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
These phones are manufactured in a single or sometimes two production runs and then that's it.

Google starts off with an estimate of the number of units they might be able to sell between initial release and when the next model is planned, then produces that number of devices plus a small percentage extra "just in case".

It turns out that the Pixel 4's sales probably exceeded expectations and they ran out sooner than planned.

Oh well...

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Google moving the Pixel production from China to Vietnam probably played into this also. They probably didn't want to move existing Pixel 4 / 4XL production to a different country. So sell all in stock and then move onto the new facility and new production

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site

Why is it useless? I know a 2x optical zoom is not great but it's something, right? I'm rather impressed with the zoom shots I get from my P4xl. A lot better than the 2xl where the digital zoom always looked like a blurry mess to me.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Yep yep, Google knows exactly what they're doing of course! I heard from the Pixel 4 customers that they telephoto lens was pretty useless as well, that most users didn't even use the telephone lens that much. As far as the price tag of a flagship Pixel 4, now, why would you spend $700-$800 when you can get the 4A for $349? I mean as long as user don't care about wireless charging, and then an official IP rating then that's a really easy choice! I mean, I would guess that most customers don't care about the wireless charging. The only thing that I might care a little bit about is an IP rating. But other than that, that's about it.

The 4a is a good value phone but Google cut a lot of corners vs. the 4/4xl to bring the price down that low. Not only the lack of wireless charging and no IP rating but a plastic body, no QHD screen, no 90hz refresh rate, no squeezy sides (a feature I love and use all the time), Gorilla Glass 3, one lens rear camera, and of course a slower processor. Personally I wouldn't be interested in the 4a at all. Very glad I have a 4xl that I got on sale new for $600.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The 4a is a good value phone but Google cut a lot of corners vs. the 4/4xl to bring the price down that low. Not only the lack of wireless charging and no IP rating but a plastic body, no QHD screen, no 90hz refresh rate, no squeezy sides (a feature I love and use all the time), Gorilla Glass 3, one lens rear camera, and of course a slower processor. Personally I wouldn't be interested in the 4a at all. Very glad I have a 4xl that I got on sale new for $600.
Well yes, for that matter, I'm glad you have your phone as well! I mean let's remember here, the 4A is an affordable phone so if I did hypothetically have one, the only thing I would really truly miss is an official IP rating. The phone being made out of plastic I could deal with, and I can deal with a single lens on the back because I have one now in my Pixel 3 XL. Do I hope that the Pixel 5s have a wide angle lens or an additional camera? I mean sure, but I don't need one still. But yes, for the price, the 4A is price perfectly.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
For people who want a compact Pixel phone with a bigger battery than the 4, then the 4a seems like a no brainer to me.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For people who want a compact Pixel phone with a bigger battery than the 4, then the 4a seems like a no brainer to me.
Yes, you're absolutely right! I completely agree. The a series of pixels are the affordable Google phones for the everyday person who doesn't need the highest and spec, or an $800 or nearly $1,000 price tag either.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Wait, do you mean to say that someone actually uses that "squeezy sides" thing?

I had no idea! :)

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well yes, for that matter, I'm glad you have your phone as well! I mean let's remember here, the 4A is an affordable phone so if I did hypothetically have one, the only thing I would really truly miss is an official IP rating. The phone being made out of plastic I could deal with, and I can deal with a single lens on the back because I have one now in my Pixel 3 XL. Do I hope that the Pixel 5s have a wide angle lens or an additional camera? I mean sure, but I don't need one still. But yes, for the price, the 4A is price perfectly.

I don't know about you, but when I pay very nearly $1,000 for a phone (Pixel 4XL), you can be damned sure that it will live inside a case from the day I unbox it until the day I resell it. So, does it really matter if the phone is plastic vs. metal vs. glass?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about you, but when I pay very nearly $1,000 for a phone (Pixel 4XL), you can be damned sure that it will live inside a case from the day I unbox it until the day I resell it. So, does it really matter if the phone is plastic vs. metal vs. glass?
Oh yeah absolutely That's what I was saying. If I'm paying that much money for a flash your phone come I want those features! For the Pixel 4A though, for $350, it lives up to the hype basically!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish