Should I factory reset? Slow screen loads

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't factory reset a phone in a while. I've noticed my Pixel 4XL will be slow to return to the home screen - like it's taking an extra second to redraw or make all the icons appear, sometimes starts with a flash of black. It has also locked up a few times in the past couple of weeks. I don't get this "spotlight" view that supposedly came out for GA (I just get pulsing grey boxes that never populate). My call screen doesn't always display the text on screen anymore - this one is weird - it answers, then shows a mostly black screen.

I haven't ruled out a Google conspiracy to make me buy a Pixel 5.

I am using Action Launcher which could be contributing to the redraw/slow home screen loads (all of a sudden?).

Do you think it's worth a factory reset to address some or all of this?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I assume you've already tried rebooting, right? If so, then another thing to try would be to clear the app cache for Action Launcher in Settings>Apps​.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I assume you've already tried rebooting, right? If so, then another thing to try would be to clear the app cache for Action Launcher in Settings>Apps​.

Yup, rebooted today, yesterday, Saturday... I also cleared the Action Launcher cache this morning. You mean go to "Storage" and clear cache, right?

Speaking of rebooting, I went ahead and switched to the stock launcher. The task switcher stopped working. I just got a dimmed screen and it froze there for a bit. I rebooted and it works now, all my previous apps showed up right away so they were there.

Stock launcher seems like it might be free of the redraw/load problem. I need some time to be sure. Haven't used stock launcher in... wait, what's a stock launcher? (in other words, years)

I appreciate being pulled from the factory reset ledge.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the app cache for Action Launcher in the Storage section of the Settings>Apps​ menu. You could also try clearing the app data, but that would mean setting up your homescreens again.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Follow up ... I've been using the Pixel launcher for a few days now and I think I can comfortably say... it is definitely faster. I don't know if that means my Action Launcher installation was damaged and slower than usual or the Pixel launcher is just faster. I am going to try and live without the custom launcher features I have used for years because I feel like I have a refreshed phone now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay