Extremely disappointed for no pixel 5 xl

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Really disappointed. Was looking forward to pixel 5 XL. That 6inch is just way too small. I want wireless charging and water resistant on an XL size screen. Just don't get why google did this. So disappointing.

Anyone else feels the same? I am not ordering the pixel 5. Simply not what I was looking for. I have had 2xl, 3xl and now on 4xl. This really stinks.

Last edited:

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
After having every nexus and Pixel XL phone up to the 3xl which I'm currently using, I think the 6" screen size is the most optimal. For me at least.

The nexus 6 was ridiculously large and I'm glad they started getting smaller after that. I'll definitely be getting the 5 in a bit

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad it's smaller I sold my 4 xl to get ready for the p5 upgrade and moved to a pixel 3a my wife's spare phone and boy I'm enjoying this smaller factor.. I do wish you hey had an XL + a smaller version so they could satisfy both types of people and allow them to choose.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I will agree with you here. I have had all the phones you've had. The Nexus 6 was insanely large. Six inches for a screen size seems to be the optimal screen size.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Since i use my phone as my primary media consumption device, the smaller screen isn't ideal for me. I think they could've gone with a 6.6" screen and retained the same overall size as the 4xl with the smaller bezels and removal of soli.
I still love the software and camera on pixel phones, so if the price drops for black Friday, I'll probably still pick one up. I'm not hopeful for this though, since the phone won't actually release until a few weeks before that anyways.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Since i use my phone as my primary media consumption device, the smaller screen isn't ideal for me. I think they could've gone with a 6.6" screen and retained the same overall size as the 4xl with the smaller bezels and removal of soli.
I still love the software and camera on pixel phones, so if the price drops for black Friday, I'll probably still pick one up. I'm not hopeful for this though, since the phone won't actually release until a few weeks before that anyways.
The phone never drops until mid October and early Nov and they still always manage to provide black friday deals so I doubt this year it's any different. It seems to be in track exactly the same as all the other previous pixel launches.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
It is disappointing to me, as well. The option for the XL, with larger screen and flagship hardware, is what I look for in a premium phone. My 4XL has that. Maybe, the 4XL didn't sell well for Google. I need to hang onto my 4XL until next summer. By then, the verdict will be out on the 5 series. Whether I get a new Pixel then, or move to something entirely different...time will tell.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The phone never drops until mid October and early Nov and they still always manage to provide black friday deals so I doubt this year it's any different. It seems to be in track exactly the same as all the other previous pixel launches.

It's about a week later than last year, and when pre-ordering it gives a delivery date of November 3rd to the 4th. You could now order the phone about a week after it's available, and any potential Black Friday deals should be announced during your two week return window.
I'm not saying there won't be a Black Friday deal of any kind, but I'm not as confident in the $200 discount we've become accustomed to in previous years.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
It's about a week later than last year, and when pre-ordering it gives a delivery date of November 3rd to the 4th. You could now order the phone about a week after it's available, and any potential Black Friday deals should be announced during your two week return window.
I'm not saying there won't be a Black Friday deal of any kind, but I'm not as confident in the $200 discount we've become accustomed to in previous years.
That's what I'm saying to me it gave me a delivery date of Oct 31-Nov 3rd, but last year it gave me something similar but after a few days it switched to Nov 18-20. bout 2 weeks sooner than the ETA google originally provided me. At the same time having a 2 week window close to black friday deals wouldn't be a terrible thing.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with size options to keep everyone happy?
I'd have to agree with the statement as well. I mean like I said, for years I've had bigger screened phones versus the smaller screened variants of the phone. But since I watch YouTube on my TV via Roku all the time, it's not as big of a deal as it used to be for me. at the end of the day, it is still nice to have the option but I suppose I understand why they did it. Less operating costs and way less merchandise to try and sell considering we all know how well the pixel phones actually sell at the end of the day compared to the competition unfortunately

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Yes exactly keep options for both for people to choose.. But my thinking they are not exactly blowing out sales so kinda makes sense to have less phones..

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with size options to keep everyone happy?
They probably did some internal calculations for which versions of the phones sold most and the smaller sizes probably won out. You can't please everyone all the time, but clearly you can appease to the majority.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They probably did some internal calculations for which versions of the phones sold most and the smaller sizes probably won out. You can't please everyone all the time, but clearly you can appease to the majority.
I'm not questioning Google's decision. My post is with regard to people who feel like we should only have small phones.

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not questioning Google's decision. My post is with regard to people who feel like we should only have small phones.
Oh I get it, but I think the fact that Google doesn't sell as many phones as originally expected, they have to focus on one thing, which is what it seems they are doing. If someone wants options in sizes there's always samsung. I don't think one+ even offers different sizes.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh I get it, but I think the fact that Google doesn't sell as many phones as originally expected, they have to focus on one thing, which is what it seems they are doing. If someone wants options in sizes there's always samsung. I don't think one+ even offers different sizes.
I understand that and have no real issue with the direction Google is going because I stopped buying Pixels after the 3XL. That's because they just didn't offer what I was looking for with the 4XL and they are now moving further away on many fronts.