Has your battery life taken a hit since upgrading to Android 11?

Has your battery life become much worse after upgrading to Android 11?

• Total voters

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
I was expecting battery life to get better with iOS 11 due to the under the hood changes but now I have to charge my Pixel 4 thrice a day and yes I did a factory reset I feel my phone has became useless so now I was forced to order a Pixel 5 even though I cancelled my initial pre-order after having second thoughts on the value it offers but now I ordered it without thinking twice just because I am tired of having to charge my phone constantly.

Yes I do watch YouTube for about 2 hours a day and stream music on Spotify and maybe take a couple of photos using the camera per day but that's about it

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Check to see if any apps are misbehaving with the update. On my Pixel 2XL it was TuneIn Radio. Once I deleted the app battery life returned to normal.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Yes. I'm surprised this thread wasn't started a lot sooner as a lot of Pixel users are having this problem since the upgrade to 11. My battery drains twice as fast as on 10. It's not an app either (I don't have TuneIn on my phone). In battery settings it says all apps are running normally. When the phone is not in use (i.e. overnight, face down so as not to use AOD) I'm losing around 1% per hour. That's twice as bad as on Android 10.
Google Pixel help threads have been started at the links below...

118 up votes here:
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/71636365?hl=en

84 up votes here:
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/75107738?hl=en

I'm a light user who is always near a charger so I'm still OK with keeping my 4xl but I can see where this would be a huge problem for a heavy user.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Check to see if any apps are misbehaving with the update. On my Pixel 2XL it was TuneIn Radio. Once I deleted the app battery life returned to normal.

Just curious...before you deleted TuneIn did it say in battery settings that this app was using a lot of battery? Or had you just heard that it was a problem app from others and that's what made you delete it?

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
Just curious...before you deleted TuneIn did it say in battery settings that this app was using a lot of battery? Or had you just heard that it was a problem app from others and that's what made you delete it?

Mine said Telegram was using high battery

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I would also check in Settings/Location/WiFi & Bluetooth Scanning, to make certain that you do/don't want the scanning to be active. It's a battery drainer to be scanning every where you go.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I read it on a forum and when I checked it was indeed using battery, even though it was never opened.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
So I uninstalled the Xiaomi Fit app which was required for syncing with my Xiaomi Mi Band 5 fitness tracker as I saw myself not using it much anymore and the battery life has improved tremendously! Although the Battery section in the OS never told me about any abnormal battery usage caused by that app.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Although the Battery section in the OS never told me about any abnormal battery usage caused by that app.

I think that's what is going on on my phone as well. Two nights ago I put the phone is safe mode with airplane mode on and only lost 1% overnight. Last night I did safe mode with airplane mode off and lost only 3-4%. Both much better results than the 10% drop I've been experiencing on Android 11 overnight. Now to figure out which app is causing the drain. Annoying that the system battery settings can't seem to tell me this.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
I think that's what is going on on my phone as well. Two nights ago I put the phone is safe mode with airplane mode on and only lost 1% overnight. Last night I did safe mode with airplane mode off and lost only 3-4%. Both much better results than the 10% drop I've been experiencing on Android 11 overnight. Now to figure out which app is causing the drain. Annoying that the system battery settings can't seem to tell me this.
as much as I hate Samsung and will never buy anything anymore which has the name Samsung on it (Bixby, Exynos, and Ads), when you go to the battery section, it tells you how much percentage each app has drained your phone much better than stock Android

merlin29

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
My pixel 4 is has better battery life on 11 than when on 10, it lasts from 8am until my bed time at 11 pm then overnight slow charge,
Very pleased with it my first pixel.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My battery went to crap after the update to Android 11. After a few days and it did not stabilize, I checked my usage and found it was Tune In. I only use it for football season and haven't opened it in I don't know how long, but it was killing my battery. I've also had this app installed on all my phones for YEARS and never had this issue before. I will be honest, I'm not missing the app, but just think it's weird. Since uninstalling, battery is good.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
After spending a half hour going through all my apps in settings, looking at the battery usage for each app, I discovered that GBoard had been running in the background constantly since my last charge (running for 9 hours) so I just restricted it. This was in spite of Battery Settings telling me that "Apps are running normally" and "Phone has typical background usage". Typical? Yeah right. :mad:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
After spending a half hour going through all my apps in settings, looking at the battery usage for each app, I discovered that GBoard had been running in the background constantly since my last charge (running for 9 hours) so I just restricted it. This was in spite of Battery Settings telling me that "Apps are running normally" and "Phone has typical background usage". Typical? Yeah right. :mad:
Also make sure in settings of gboard it's not sending diagnostic stuff back to google it helps improve gboard but can eat battery also sync to google servers.

SeanSkiNE

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No change on my Pixel 4a, and my Pixel 3 work phone actually seems to have improved. No issues with 11 for me, other than a minor annoyance with the reduced number of tiles in the notification pull-down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes