New Google camera 8.1 update

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone received the 8.1 camera update? My 4XL is still on version 7.5. I uninstalled updates and re-updated it, but I'm still on 7.5. I tried installing the 8.1 update from apk mirror, but it wouldn't install.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I read about this the other day, but have not received any Camera app updates on my 4XL. I'm still on the same camera version as you. Google usually rolls these out slowly, so we should receive it "soon".

Just like the new Assistant / Maps update with Driving Mode that is "rolling out" .... still haven't seen that yet either.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I read about it just like the two of you did, but for my Pixel 3 XL at home, it still hasn't received any updates. I just upgraded to the Pixel 5 which has all the updates of course.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the bundle package fro. APK mirror and it installed seamlessly.
Thanks. I tried from apk mirror and other sources as well. All say "installation aborted, verification failed". Maybe it's because I have an AT&T branded Pixel 4XL. Thanks for your help, though.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I tried from apk mirror and other sources as well. All say "installation aborted, verification failed". Maybe it's because I have an AT&T branded Pixel 4XL. Thanks for your help, though.
How's the new Google camera app running on your Pixel 4 XL?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You know what I will say about the new Google camera version 8.1 update on theNew Pixel 5... When you take a portrait mode shot, you going to Google photos, and that portrait shot doesn't have two different versions of the same shot. In the older version of Google camera, when you took a portrait mode shot, you got one version of the picture with the blurred out bokeh effect, and the original clear picture if that makes sense.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
You know what I will say about the new Google camera version 8.1 update on theNew Pixel 5... When you take a portrait mode shot, you going to Google photos, and that portrait shot doesn't have two different versions of the same shot. In the older version of Google camera, when you took a portrait mode shot, you got one version of the picture with the blurred out bokeh effect, and the original clear picture if that makes sense.

I thought I saw somewhere if you go edit photo you can mess with how you want bokeh.. On the pic

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought I saw somewhere if you go edit photo you can mess with how you want bokeh.. On the pic
Oh, that you can. But I'm talking about on the older Google camera app versus the new one... For example, on my Pixel 3 XL in portrait mode in the camera, if you take a portrait mode shot, when you go into Google photos gallery, that portrait mode Boca affects shot has two versions of the same picture: The original clear picture, and the blurred out Boca portrait mode picture. You can choose to save either one. With the new Google camera app, Google seems to have changed that. I personally don't mind that at all, but it's something worth noting / mentioning!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get it installed, Eric. It says verification failure every time.
Oh, damn I'm sorry to hear that! if it makes you feel any better, my pixel 3 XL didn't get any alerts for Google camera app updates at all. Not that I know of.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the unlocked Pixel 4a and got the same notification when I tried to install the apk from XDA. I'm on Google Fi, not ATT.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Oh, that you can. But I'm talking about on the older Google camera app versus the new one... For example, on my Pixel 3 XL in portrait mode in the camera, if you take a portrait mode shot, when you go into Google photos gallery, that portrait mode Boca affects shot has two versions of the same picture: The original clear picture, and the blurred out Boca portrait mode picture. You can choose to save either one. With the new Google camera app, Google seems to have changed that. I personally don't mind that at all, but it's something worth noting / mentioning!
Yup I know what you saying ..now in Google photos when you hit adjust you can pick blur and use the slider to any blur you want and save the photo...so you can keep both or save the edit ..

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yup I know what you saying ..now in Google photos when you hit adjust you can pick blur and use the slider to any blur you want and save the photo...so you can keep both or save the edit ..
Haha yep yep dude. That's for sure. Google is thankfully tweaking and optimizing all their software!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, here's an update tool and even though my Pixel 3 XL is just Wi-Fi only now and I'm using my newer phone, and my Google Play store got the update for Google camera version 8.1. I just launched it on my phone and it seems to work just fine!

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I guess it depends on the device, Eric. Play Store on my 4XL only shows version 7.35. Funny they would make it available to older Pixels before the 4 series.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess it depends on the device, Eric. Play Store on my 4XL only shows version 7.35. Funny they would make it available to older Pixels before the 4 series.
Yeah , I'll say, that is really weird dude! When I went into my Play store on my Pixel 3 XL, the update for Google camera app was there and I auto updated it and now I have the latest version running beautiful on my phone.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
When it comes to app updates through the Play Store I don't think it has anything to do with phone model....it's regional, or some other metric that Google uses to make the rollout flow so it's not everyone trying to download at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome