How's the 4XL holding up?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Curious how everyone else still rocking a 4XL is feeling about it.

I've had bit a a rocky road with mine. Bought it last spring for $500 on sale at best buy, two months later the battery died. Got a new battery under warranty, another two months later battery dies again. Google replaced the device under warranty and I left it in the box. Tried an S20, wasn't for me and got an 8T. 8T was great for awhile then OnePlus really screwed it up with a couple updates and it was never right after that. Haptics were weak, google assistant wouldn't work, Android Auto wasn't usable, no wifi calling, the list goes on and on. Anyway, brand new 4XL sitting in the box and out of frustration I said the heck with it and got it out and I'm back on it, only phone I own now.

When this phone works right, and so far the last few weeks it has been great. Not killer battery life but solid, screen and refresh is good, face unlock is amazing. While I'd like a fingerprint sensor, I'm working at home so its rarely an issue. Performance is fine, I play a couple games but nothing crazy. Camera is like its always been, really good. Everything just works on this.

I've been tempted a lot by all the S21 stuff lately and the S21 Ultra does look great but its expensive and I don't know that the camera will be $1000 better than the 4XL as that would be the only thing that would really get me to upgrade right now. Of course I'm excited to see what we get with the 5a and 6 but for the next 8-10 months I think this will be fine. How are you guys feeling about it?

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine has held up really well since launch. Battery life isn't great right now, but i attribute that to almost exclusively using wireless charging. I'm upgrading to the 21 ultra since TMobile is giving me $800 for my 4xl, but i still may return it if the software and camera become annoyances for me.

Ragnarianrok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
I have the S21+ in-hand. Been testing it the past 24 hours or so. Coming from a Pixel 4 XL.

Long story short: I'm a bit torn as to what to keep. There are tradeoffs with both devices.

I've enjoyed my 4 XL a lot, but it was starting to feel like I was missing out on all the other features and video-taking capabilities that Samsung and the competition brought. And the Pixel 5 didn't compel me to upgrade. Google gets a pass on it since it was a weird year with COVID, but it's a shame they couldn't release a proper flagship to compete.

Here's where I stand:

Pixel 4 XL still takes better stills. The S21+ overdoes the processing on skin-smoothing, and it looks really unnatural. The Pixel still captures better contrasts and good shadows, where as the S2+ often feels overexposed. It just doesn't capture good contrast unless you manually adjust it to do so.

However, the S21+'s wide angle and zoom capabilities are amazing. And in good lighting conditions, can still take fine stills. Also, video-taking (and editing) is leagues better than the 4 XL.

Trade-offs.

Software-wise, while it was quite overwhelming to set up the S21+ from scratch, I ultimately ended up at a place with One UI that I liked and actually didn't feel the need to install Nova to create a stock-like feel. The Google Discovery page on the left goes a long way in making it feel "stock" along with the Google widgets for date and weather on my main page. The search bar isn't locked into my dock, so that's a bit of a change, too, but wholly acceptable.

And, of course, the S21+ is buttery smooth. It doesn't quite have the little polishes that stock Android has in certain transitions, but all-in-all, this is nitpicking at its finest. The software runs beautifully. And many of the extra features and tweaks make a lot of sense (like putting the brightness slider at the bottom of the pull-down quick settings panel).

The only things that irk me are the app drawer being paginated (I'm so used to being able to continue scrolling up after I pull up the app drawer on the Pixel) so the muscle memory takes some adjusting, and I prefer the way Pixels do Always on Display. Notifications light up the screen and you get to see a nice preview, whereas on the S21+, even with AOD on, you only get the icon of the notification, and not the details, without tapping into it on your lock screen. Kind of miss being able to just glance at my phone whenever it buzzes and know exactly what it's about.

So it's all little trade-offs.

Another big trade-off is the Photos integration. While I can still use Photos to back things up, I organize everything through there, and on the S21+, it constantly reminds me of "review out of sync changes" if I've made changes that need to take. So the lack of direct integration with Google and Photos is another minor inconvenience that feels like it requires extra steps.

I guess I'm pretty "locked in" to the Google ecosystem, for better or worst.

That's my take. As I said, I'm a bit torn and on the fence. I want more features and better hardware overall, but I also miss the Pixel's amazingly reliable still photography and Google Photos ease and integration. Not sure if I should just hang onto my Pixel 4XL and stick it out until the 6, or just accept the few tradeoffs of the S21+ and try to adapt and enjoy their way of doing things. And even then, I can always return to the Pixel 6 if and when Google decides to up their hardware and features.

Not sure...

Dan Oliver1

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
My first Google phone having switched from a Samsung S8. Absolutely love having a great camera at long last. I also love the whole stock android set up and understand why folks love it. Motion sense is motion sense....Not too sure I'll ever use it much apart from silencing calls/alarms but it certainly speeds up face unlock. My only grip is power management even with the 90 hertz/motion sense turned off..you can see the battery just ticking down quite rapidly which is a real shame...
Why didn't they put a bigger battery in? Really feel for folks with the standard Pixel 4. A good day I get 5 hours SOT and on full charge I get 29 hours out the phone. I'd definitely get another pixel phone wether it's mid range or flagship as they tick all my boxes.

Last edited:

Ragnarianrok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
Pixel 4 XL battery is still holding up strong. I wish it could last a little longer, but it's overall fine.

As much as I've been enjoying my Pixel 4 XL for its strengths, I really think it's time Google steps up their hardware game to offer a more competitive, compelling, and better designed flagship.

To me, the 6 needs:

1) Better speakers. That or they need to improve this screen-vibration tech. I've used the Pixel 5 and the speakers are tinny and just plain lousy. I honestly wouldn't mind if Google kept the top bar for face unlock and better speakers. They could maybe shrink it a bit further for aesthetics, but I'd be okay if they avoided a cut-out for the selfie camera in order to bring back face unlock and better quality speakers. And for those who like the FPS, Google could still keep that around back.

2) Better design. Google really needs to step up their game to bring a premium looking and feeling flagship.

3) Updated camera lens. It wouldn't hurt if they offered three lens for additional features. It's age-old tech now. Which leads to...

4) Better video taking capabilities and video-editing capabilities. For a software company, Samsung and Apple sure are putting Google to shame in this department.

5) And don't skimp out on all the obvious base-level things: latest processor, keep the 8GB of RAM, larger battery never hurts, and please, more storage options.

So while the Pixel 4 XL is holding up fine for me, I would like to upgrade to something more worthwhile and impressive than the Pixel 5.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Mine has been going strong since April 2020. Battery life is still really good, and it does everything I need a phone to do. I plan on keeping it until this Fall and see what the Pixel 6 looks like. For me personally the 4XL has been one of the best phones I have owned.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the S21+ in-hand. Been testing it the past 24 hours or so. Coming from a Pixel 4 XL.

Long story short: I'm a bit torn as to what to keep. There are tradeoffs with both devices.

I've enjoyed my 4 XL a lot, but it was starting to feel like I was missing out on all the other features and video-taking capabilities that Samsung and the competition brought. And the Pixel 5 didn't compel me to upgrade. Google gets a pass on it since it was a weird year with COVID, but it's a shame they couldn't release a proper flagship to compete.

Here's where I stand:

Pixel 4 XL still takes better stills. The S21+ overdoes the processing on skin-smoothing, and it looks really unnatural. The Pixel still captures better contrasts and good shadows, where as the S2+ often feels overexposed. It just doesn't capture good contrast unless you manually adjust it to do so.

However, the S21+'s wide angle and zoom capabilities are amazing. And in good lighting conditions, can still take fine stills. Also, video-taking (and editing) is leagues better than the 4 XL.

Trade-offs.

Software-wise, while it was quite overwhelming to set up the S21+ from scratch, I ultimately ended up at a place with One UI that I liked and actually didn't feel the need to install Nova to create a stock-like feel. The Google Discovery page on the left goes a long way in making it feel "stock" along with the Google widgets for date and weather on my main page. The search bar isn't locked into my dock, so that's a bit of a change, too, but wholly acceptable.

And, of course, the S21+ is buttery smooth. It doesn't quite have the little polishes that stock Android has in certain transitions, but all-in-all, this is nitpicking at its finest. The software runs beautifully. And many of the extra features and tweaks make a lot of sense (like putting the brightness slider at the bottom of the pull-down quick settings panel).

The only things that irk me are the app drawer being paginated (I'm so used to being able to continue scrolling up after I pull up the app drawer on the Pixel) so the muscle memory takes some adjusting, and I prefer the way Pixels do Always on Display. Notifications light up the screen and you get to see a nice preview, whereas on the S21+, even with AOD on, you only get the icon of the notification, and not the details, without tapping into it on your lock screen. Kind of miss being able to just glance at my phone whenever it buzzes and know exactly what it's about.

So it's all little trade-offs.

Another big trade-off is the Photos integration. While I can still use Photos to back things up, I organize everything through there, and on the S21+, it constantly reminds me of "review out of sync changes" if I've made changes that need to take. So the lack of direct integration with Google and Photos is another minor inconvenience that feels like it requires extra steps.

I guess I'm pretty "locked in" to the Google ecosystem, for better or worst.

That's my take. As I said, I'm a bit torn and on the fence. I want more features and better hardware overall, but I also miss the Pixel's amazingly reliable still photography and Google Photos ease and integration. Not sure if I should just hang onto my Pixel 4XL and stick it out until the 6, or just accept the few tradeoffs of the S21+ and try to adapt and enjoy their way of doing things. And even then, I can always return to the Pixel 6 if and when Google decides to up their hardware and features.

Not sure...
As someone considering the move from a 4 XL to the S21 Ultra, thank you for posting this. Really good info. I tried the Pixel 5 twice and sent it back both times. In my opinion, the 4 XL is just an overall superior device. Yes, the 5 wins a couple points, but for my usage, the 4 XL wins hands down. But I'm pretty enamored with the display on the Samsung, and the multiple camera array. That's one of the things I didn't like about the Pixel 5... swapping the telephoto for ultra-wide. Personally, I use the telephoto much more often and I noticed a significant downgrade in portrait photos going from the 4 to the 5. The fact the S21 Ultra has both a 3x and 10x telephoto lens sounds great to me. Gonna have to watch some more reviews before I pull the trigger, though.

As far as my 4 XL holding up, well, my first one was doing great until I dropped it on the sidewalk around Christmas time and absolutely destroyed the screen. Totally my fault. That's when I decided the try the Pixel 5 a second time. Lasted about a week before I sent that back and ordered a refurb 4 XL off Amazon. The refurb has been great hardware-wise, but I've been having some software lagging and stuttering over the last few weeks. Mainly when I first unlock the phone and pull down the notification shade. It's not smooth at all. Same if I try to swipe through home screens.. lagging and stuttering. It clears up in about 5 seconds and will then be buttery smooth, but this happens multiple times per day. Maybe it is an issue with the January patch? I don't know since I never used my old 4 XL on the January patch, but I certainly never experienced the same issue on that device. Has anyone else using a 4 XL noticed the same thing?

Ragnarianrok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
As someone considering the move from a 4 XL to the S21 Ultra, thank you for posting this. Really good info. I tried the Pixel 5 twice and sent it back both times. In my opinion, the 4 XL is just an overall superior device. Yes, the 5 wins a couple points, but for my usage, the 4 XL wins hands down. But I'm pretty enamored with the display on the Samsung, and the multiple camera array. That's one of the things I didn't like about the Pixel 5... swapping the telephoto for ultra-wide. Personally, I use the telephoto much more often and I noticed a significant downgrade in portrait photos going from the 4 to the 5. The fact the S21 Ultra has both a 3x and 10x telephoto lens sounds great to me. Gonna have to watch some more reviews before I pull the trigger, though.

As far as my 4 XL holding up, well, my first one was doing great until I dropped it on the sidewalk around Christmas time and absolutely destroyed the screen. Totally my fault. That's when I decided the try the Pixel 5 a second time. Lasted about a week before I sent that back and ordered a refurb 4 XL off Amazon. The refurb has been great hardware-wise, but I've been having some software lagging and stuttering over the last few weeks. Mainly when I first unlock the phone and pull down the notification shade. It's not smooth at all. Same if I try to swipe through home screens.. lagging and stuttering. It clears up in about 5 seconds and will then be buttery smooth, but this happens multiple times per day. Maybe it is an issue with the January patch? I don't know since I never used my old 4 XL on the January patch, but I certainly never experienced the same issue on that device. Has anyone else using a 4 XL noticed the same thing?

Can't say my 4 XL has behaved that way. Sorry to hear. Weird issue...

Ragnarianrok

Jan 19, 2021
Visit site
Mine has been going strong since April 2020. Battery life is still really good, and it does everything I need a phone to do. I plan on keeping it until this Fall and see what the Pixel 6 looks like. For me personally the 4XL has been one of the best phones I have owned.

Yeah, I'm going to give the S21+ a few more days, but I'm beginning to think the 4 XL is good enough to wait for the 6...

And just hope Google comes through with a better flagship offering this year.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going to give the S21+ a few more days, but I'm beginning to think the 4 XL is good enough to wait for the 6...

And just hope Google comes through with a better flagship offering this year.
I have no issues with the 5 personally. My wife has one and it is awesome. I just can't justify buying one this year when my 4XL is barely a year old and running smooth.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 4XL for one year now. No issues, so far. Not a Samsung fan. Waiting to see what features the 6 will have. We'll see how well Google does during 2021.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The pixel 5 seems to be a good phone that's making a lot of people happy. They may opt to stay closer to the 5's design with some improvements on the 6. I'd like a higher spec phone myself, but I plan on sticking with pixels... so if it's good enough for Mustang who's had all the high end stuff, then it's good enough for me ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The pixel 5 seems to be a good phone that's making a lot of people happy. They may opt to stay closer to the 5's design with some improvements on the 6. I'd like a higher spec phone myself, but I plan on sticking with pixels... so if it's good enough for Mustang who's had all the high end stuff, then it's good enough for me ;)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I wish I had gotten the Pixel 4 instead of the S10, but I too will wait to see what the Pixel 6 will be like to see if that will be my next phone. Or I may go with the 5.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
My 4XL is still perfect with no issues whatsoever. I passed on the 5, will wait to see what the 6 has to offer. I was almost tempted by the S21 Ultra, but too big for me and too expensive.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Good stuff from everyone. I am pretty sure for now I'm just waiting to see what the Pixel 6 brings before I move on. Even then I may ride the 4XL out till black friday and wait for a deal on something so long as it's still working well.

I would definitely like to see a triple camera, 8GB of RAM minimum and UFS 3.0 storage with a big and small version. Hope we get something close.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes I wish I had gotten the Pixel 4 instead of the S10, but I too will wait to see what the Pixel 6 will be like to see if that will be my next phone. Or I may go with the 5.
Seriously honey, having had the 4xl and the S10+ I promise you that you made the right choice. We both loved our pixel 2 series phones but the 4 series was just disappointing. I think the 2 was better. And the S10 series is just a wonderful phone in 99% of the ways, except camera quality. But we have loads more choice with our photos, including the amazing single take.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I've decided to cancel my s21 ultra pre order and hold onto my 4xl. Even though TMobile is giving me $800 for the xl, I'm still not a fan of Samsung's software choices enough to make the ultra my daily driver. I use the smart home controls in the Android 11 power menu constantly, and I don't want to deal with the extra steps to access them on the ultra.

I'm also not confident that the ultra will be a great point and shoot camera for the kiddos, so I think the 4xl just fits my needs a little better. I may still let it ship out to give it a try, but my mind is pretty much made up at this point.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Have had mine since March 2020, and only thing I find troublesome is that the facial rec is slow to operated some times (no mask on). Other than that, it has worked as required. Do with it had a finger printer sensor on the back since facial rec with a mask is not a good combination. However, that is not the fault of the phone, just a fault with the times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21