Factory reset for Android 12?

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Who will do a complete factor reset for 12?

And if yes, will you do the reset before allowing 12 to load, or when notified that the update is available, do the reset at that time with the understanding that when it boots back up it will automatically update to 12?

I only ask since my facial unlock is getting slower and some have noted to do a reset of the facial recognition, some say do a factory reset and start from scratch.

I will admit, I have never done a factory reset due to a update of the android system before. My 4XL was purchased March 8, 2020; therefor 18 months.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow, how did I make two typos in the heading? Either need to go back to school or pay more attention to what I'm doing and less to what is going on around me.
9UcPCy4.gif

Can a moderator fix it to read "FACTORY RESET?" Most people; including myself, most likely will not know how to do a FACOTYR RESERT. (Sounds kind of kinky.)
fZ1OeZM.gif

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
So, do you do the reset "after" the update, or before you do the update? I'm thinking heavily about about doing this for 12. Also a good time to dump some apps I have never used.

You would want to do the reset after the update to clear things up and improve performance and eliminate possible bugs. I usually don't reset my phone unless I notice problems after an update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, how did I make two typos in the heading? Either need to go back to school or pay more attention to what I'm doing and less to what is going on around me.
9UcPCy4.gif

Can a moderator fix it to read "FACTORY RESET?" Most people; including myself, most likely will not know how to do a FACOTYR RESERT. (Sounds kind of kinky.)
fZ1OeZM.gif

Fiexd your theard tilte.:p

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
So, do you do the reset "after" the update, or before you do the update? I'm thinking heavily about about doing this for 12. Also a good time to dump some apps I have never used.

I will be doing it after the update.... always makes a new OS seem to run it's best.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
If you get a notification that a new software is available, and you then do the reset, wouldn't the new version (12) then load?

Nope it will just reset your current OS, and you'll have to set the phone up again, check for the new 12 update, install it.... and if you have any issues you'll have to factory reset yet again. Better to install 12 first then factory reset ;)

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info to all.

I'll give it a try this time. In all my years of having android phones, I have never encountered any problems with just an update and no reset. This time, due to some minor problems appearing on my phone, I'll give it a try.

fwn

Oct 29, 2018
Visit site
Before resetting, I always go through my apps and make certain that everything that needs backing up is properly backed up. Google has become so much better in assisting in the restoration process. Also, you have to make a decision concerning the type of reinstall that you would like to do. If you have a minimal number of apps, perhaps you should consider a clean install. Personally, I have never had an issue just allowing for the Googlee backup. Good luck!

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I did a clean install…..NIGHTMARE!

I WILL NOT SAY A FACTORY RESET IS A BAD IDEA; in fact I cannot say it would have been a bad idea for me since I cannot go back after doing a factory reset after a new OS is loaded. (I can only wish I could go back to 11!)

However, first time in my life of owning Android phones (started with Verizon Droid with I believe OS 2.0 in 2009) I did a clean install on 12 to my Pixel 4XL and it has been a frigging nightmare!

So far I have performed THREE factory resets. First right after 12 was uploaded and installed, two days later (what I call a "hail Mary"), and then again yesterday (just a "why not give it another try"). First two resets had all apps, sms, etc. restored from backups. The last one yesterday, avoided a restore having backed up most on my computer, than slowly added back to the phone including all APPs one at a time. So much fun, but a very cold snowy/rainy day so not much else to do and reloading my phone was sooooo much fun.

I am not saying a clean install is not great,
it most likely is for most; however, in my experience of many android OS updates, the only time I did a clean install, it has been a frigging nightmare. It could be the phone itself; however, everything worked great before the update to 12; therefore, I believe it is more likely the OS; however, I honestly have NO clue.

I have stopped doing anymore factory resets to see if I can get this Pixel working; for now. I will live with the problems and work around them. And I will:

• use an old Moto for a clock in my bedroom since the screen saver function of the Pixel will no longer work,
  • place calls to my voice mail the old way, if I see I got a phone call since visual voicemail does not work,
  • hope that Calls Blacklist stops crashing,
  • hope my bluetooth devices don't require pairing every time they are used,
  • hope it stops removing Firefox from the favorites tray replacing it with what if feels is the app that should be placed there (it varies).
  • hope screen stops being non-responsive at times; but not at all times

The next wipe of this phone is when it is headed to the shelf for a possible backup or possibly to the range down the road for target practice. I will continue to operate with the bugs (phone still makes calls, surfs the net, etc.) and sit and wait till I read reviews regarding the future S22 and the Pixel 6. Would replace now, but a possible three month wait will not be a killer (I hope).

Possibly, if an android OS problem, the problems may be just magically get fixed with some monthly update.

I will also add, I personally, know of no one who has ever done a factory reset with an Android OS update and had problems; however, I personally, know no one with a Pixel phone. Seems like my known acquaintances are all on Samsung, Moto, LG (or non-Android). In fact, this is my first (and possibly) last Pixel.

Only people I know who have Pixels are on this forum, and it appears no one has had any problem such as I have experienced. However, I would hazard a guess that at the maximum, only 10 percent of Pixel owners are visiting this website.

It would be interesting to know how many have never performed a factory reset and never had any problems with Android software compared to those who have.

Only thing I can say positively is that having to reset, the facial recognition, it works a lot better now.

Moving on....
rrntU1O.gif

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok, I did a clean install…..NIGHTMARE!

I WILL NOT SAY A FACTORY RESET IS A BAD IDEA; in fact I cannot say it would have been a bad idea for me since I cannot go back after doing a factory reset after a new OS is loaded. (I can only wish I could go back to 11!)

However, first time in my life of owning Android phones (started with Verizon Droid with I believe OS 2.0 in 2009) I did a clean install on 12 to my Pixel 4XL and it has been a frigging nightmare!

So far I have performed THREE factory resets. First right after 12 was uploaded and installed, two days later (what I call a "hail Mary"), and then again yesterday (just a "why not give it another try"). First two resets had all apps, sms, etc. restored from backups. The last one yesterday, avoided a restore having backed up most on my computer, than slowly added back to the phone including all APPs one at a time. So much fun, but a very cold snowy/rainy day so not much else to do and reloading my phone was sooooo much fun.

I am not saying a clean install is not great,
it most likely is for most; however, in my experience of many android OS updates, the only time I did a clean install, it has been a frigging nightmare. It could be the phone itself; however, everything worked great before the update to 12; therefore, I believe it is more likely the OS; however, I honestly have NO clue.

I have stopped doing anymore factory resets to see if I can get this Pixel working; for now. I will live with the problems and work around them. And I will:

• use an old Moto for a clock in my bedroom since the screen saver function of the Pixel will no longer work,
  • place calls to my voice mail the old way, if I see I got a phone call since visual voicemail does not work,
  • hope that Calls Blacklist stops crashing,
  • hope my bluetooth devices don't require pairing every time they are used,
  • hope it stops removing Firefox from the favorites tray replacing it with what if feels is the app that should be placed there (it varies).
  • hope screen stops being non-responsive at times; but not at all times

The next wipe of this phone is when it is headed to the shelf for a possible backup or possibly to the range down the road for target practice. I will continue to operate with the bugs (phone still makes calls, surfs the net, etc.) and sit and wait till I read reviews regarding the future S22 and the Pixel 6. Would replace now, but a possible three month wait will not be a killer (I hope).

Possibly, if an android OS problem, the problems may be just magically get fixed with some monthly update.

I will also add, I personally, know of no one who has ever done a factory reset with an Android OS update and had problems; however, I personally, know no one with a Pixel phone. Seems like my known acquaintances are all on Samsung, Moto, LG (or non-Android). In fact, this is my first (and possibly) last Pixel.

Only people I know who have Pixels are on this forum, and it appears no one has had any problem such as I have experienced. However, I would hazard a guess that at the maximum, only 10 percent of Pixel owners are visiting this website.

It would be interesting to know how many have never performed a factory reset and never had any problems with Android software compared to those who have.

Only thing I can say positively is that having to reset, the facial recognition, it works a lot better now.

Moving on....
rrntU1O.gif
Beep beep i like your road runner

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I used to do a factory reset before installing any ROM or OTA. I don't do them anymore. I guess I have been lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol