Can I cast from my Pixel 4 to a Samsung SmartTV?

Paul Mena

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
We just purchased a Samsung Class 8000 series TV - in part because my wife wanted to cast content from her iPhone 11. That worked seamlessly, but I'm having a hard time getting my Pixel 4 to do the same. We don't have Chromecast or any other streaming device. Is that a requirement? Or is there an app I need to download? There is no "SmartView" icon on my home screen dropdown menu, and if I go to "Cast" under Settings -> Connection preferences with the TV on, I get the message "No nearby devices were found".

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Does the TV have Chromecast built-in? My Vizio does and appears as a casting device on my phone and Chromebook. I think we had to go into the TV menu and sign in with my Google account to set it all up. I think, it was a few years ago? If it does not have Chromecast built-in I think you would need a Chromecast device connected to an HDMI port.

Paul Mena

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately our TV doesn't have Chromecast built in, so it seems like my only option would be to get a Chromecast device.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I believe so. Stock Android doesn't have casting built-in natively. Some manufacturers add it to their phones, but Google does not make it part of stock Android. Probably because they make & sell Chromecasts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's more of a Samsung compatibility issue. Samsung smart TVs are designed to be compatible with Samsung phones, but they also design them to be compatible with AirPlay 2: www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00082643/. Any other phones won't be compatible.

Chromecast continues to be very inexpensive and really versatile, so it's a great value. You might want to consider the Chromecast with Google TV (or one of the other competitors, like Walmart's onn. Android TV streaming device) as well, which adds a streamlined Google TV interface. I know that your smart TV already has an interface like this where you can install apps, but in my experience, the smart TV interface can be sluggish. My Chromecast with Google TV is nicely responsive.

Paul Mena

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm not quite ready to give up my Pixel 4 in favor of a Samsung phone just for the casting functionality, and while the Samsung Tizen interface is indeed sluggish, I'd need to look into the combination of Chromecast and GoogleTV before going that route. Thanks for the reply!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Blame Google for this, they decided to veer away from the universal standard and create their own proprietary set up. Miracast was a universal wireless streaming tech that Amazon, Roku, Google, Samsung, LG, Microsoft, and others were using. All Android phones used to support Miracast, but Google stripped it's support from stock Android after they released Chromecast 5 plus years ago.

In short your Pixel won't mirror to your TV because Google wants you to buy a Chromecast.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae