08-17-2019 07:35 PM
186 123 ...
tools
    A glut of "What to expect in Andriod Q" articles have been showing up lately, and now people are leaking code names for new Google products like that's must-have information. So naturally, leaks about the 2019 Pixels will begin amping up, as well, and will only get worse once the first developer version of Q appears (in March?).

It's got me wondering what it'll take to get me to give a rat's *** about a new Pixel, and I truly can't think of anything. Well, nothing realistic. And I don't mean that as a swipe at Google or the Pixel line. I'm just... good.

I mean, I think bezel-less displays in small form factor devices are stupid, with or without a notch. I've never been at a loss for memory with any phone, so 6 gigs won't do it. 5G likely won't be available in my locale til sometime in 2020, and I'm not exactly looking forward to what that's gonna mean for my phone bill anyway. And unless Google perfects X-Ray Spex camera technology, I can't see myself going ga-ga yet again over camera improvements.

So what am I missing?
    01-28-2019 10:36 AM
    It takes nothing to get me interested. Purchase is another story.
    01-28-2019 10:39 AM
    Copy the LG V20, except with current specs, add front facing stereo speakers, and I might consider it.
    01-28-2019 11:11 AM
    More than one camera, manual camera controls, miracast support, an OS that isn't severely lacking in features compared to Samsung and other OEMs.

I don't expect any of that to happen, so the Note 10 and V50 will probably be the only 2 phones that tempt me this year. Hauwei would if they could get carrier support.
    mgbosshogg likes this.
    01-28-2019 11:45 AM
    I'd love to see an ultra wide and telephoto camera added. Google has done a fantastic job with a single camera and I look forward to seeing what they can do with multiple shooters.
    01-28-2019 12:12 PM
    To get me interested, I'd like to see them keep the smaller form factor for the regular Pixel 4. Phones are getting too big for me nowadays! The 5.5" Pixel 3 is a perfect size and that's as high as I'll go!
    Ten Four likes this.
    01-28-2019 01:06 PM
    A glut of "What to expect in Andriod Q" articles have been showing up lately, and now people are leaking code names for new Google products like that's must-have information. So naturally, leaks about the 2019 Pixels will begin amping up, as well, and will only get worse once the first developer version of Q appears (in March?).

It's got me wondering what it'll take to get me to give a rat's *** about a new Pixel, and I truly can't think of anything. Well, nothing realistic. And I don't mean that as a swipe at Google or the Pixel line. I'm just... good.

I mean, I think bezel-less displays in small form factor devices are stupid, with or without a notch. I've never been at a loss for memory with any phone, so 6 gigs won't do it. 5G likely won't be available in my locale til sometime in 2020, and I'm not exactly looking forward to what that's gonna mean for my phone bill anyway. And unless Google perfects X-Ray Spex camera technology, I can't see myself going ga-ga yet again over camera improvements.

So what am I missing?
    It's going have 855 snapdragon 7nm chip with most likely 6gb ram on stock Android this is going be one quick pixel . Probably face I'd also according to 1 rumor that's for starters if that don't get 1 foot in I don't know then .
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-28-2019 11:58 PM
    Well if Android Q still has this terrible navigation setup with half-gesture, half-pint button setup, then I'll probably give it a miss, unless Q has some sort of other very enticing features.

I think Android Pie is one of the worst Android updates we've had in a long while. Far too many bugs for it to be released in the state that it was in.

As far as the phone itself, it has to be competitive on the hardware front for me to consider it. More ram, more cameras, bigger battery, a more elegant solution to the notch. It just needs to be a phone that Google actually put some actual effort into. Why a phone of this size with one camera has this tiny a battery, I won't understand.

The Pixel 4 needs to be a complete phone, both on hardware and software. The Pixel 3 wasn't, which is why other phones won phone of the year over the Pixel 3.
    ChuckG73 likes this.
    01-29-2019 02:16 AM
    It's going have 855 snapdragon 7nm chip with most likely 6gb ram on stock Android this is going be one quick pixel . Probably face I'd also according to 1 rumor that's for starters if that don't get 1 foot in I don't know then .
    I do like the sounds of that OS! Face ID - hmm, I'm not a fan of that. But I guess I'd just use the fingerprint scanner in that case.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-29-2019 07:15 PM
    I do like the sounds of that OS! Face ID - hmm, I'm not a fan of that. But I guess I'd just use the fingerprint scanner in that case.
    I like both together on the phone , sometimes my hands are dirty from work and if just look can open .
    Morty2264 and DMP89145 like this.
    01-29-2019 07:31 PM
    I'm not a hardware person, so I'm not overly concerned about that side of the build. It'll be what it'll be ..

I'm more interested in the 10.0 (Q) build. Some of the early rumors sound promising and I'm looking forward to the advancement of Android 9.0. Pie has been the most advanced and efficient OS build to date by far. Antone who says otherwise just doesn't understand the build. No Android build in the past even comes close to the intelligence and efficiency of Pie. Q should be incredible.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-29-2019 09:47 PM
    I'm not a hardware person, so I'm not overly concerned about that side of the build. It'll be what it'll be ..

I'm more interested in the 10.0 (Q) build. Some of the early rumors sound promising and I'm looking forward to the advancement of Android 9.0. Pie has been the most advanced and efficient OS build to date by far. Antone who says otherwise just doesn't understand the build. No Android build in the past even comes close to the intelligence and efficiency of Pie. Q should be incredible.
    I agree
    DMP89145 likes this.
    01-29-2019 09:59 PM
    Pie is by far one of the buggiest builds of Android released. Smart or efficient doesn't matter when text messages go missing, photos don't save, ram management is appalling, a second artificial notch appears randomly etc.

They need to make sure the phone works properly and doesn't have major bugs. New features and pushing the OS is great, but when you have issues like that, it shows the QA is quite poor.
    01-30-2019 01:43 AM
    Pie is by far one of the buggiest builds of Android released. Smart or efficient doesn't matter when text messages go missing, photos don't save, ram management is appalling, a second artificial notch appears randomly etc.

They need to make sure the phone works properly and doesn't have major bugs. New features and pushing the OS is great, but when you have issues like that, it shows the QA is quite poor.
    What exactly are these bugs you describe?
    01-30-2019 01:53 AM
    What exactly are these bugs you describe?
    "when text messages go missing, photos don't save, ram management is appalling, a second artificial notch appears randomly etc."
    01-30-2019 01:55 AM

I can't speak from personal experience because I'm still using Nougat, but how different manufacturers implement their version of the OS can cause bugs. Even carrier specific adaptations can be buggy. It doesn't mean that the OS itself is problematic.
    01-30-2019 02:17 AM
    I can't speak from personal experience because I'm still using Nougat, but how different manufacturers implement their version of the OS can cause bugs. Even carrier specific adaptations can be buggy. It doesn't mean that the OS itself is problematic.
    Every one of those bugs I mentioned were from the Pixel 3/3 XL. And yes, different versions/skins of the software can cause bugs, but these are all from Google's own phone. I myself as a Pixel 3 XL owner have run into a multitude of bugs in the short time I've owned it.
    01-30-2019 02:28 AM

Well no software is bug free, so I don't consider the QA to be bad in that case. MS has bugs, iOS has bugs.. I mean, who doesn't? 9.0 on the Pixel 3 is as good as any prior OS release, IMO.

I haven't personally experienced any of what you've listed. My device does work properly and has been great. Regardless, the things you've referenced were mainly corrected with the December update.

We'll continue to see more rumors on the Pixel 4, as well as reports on the Q build. Don't know about you, but I'm excited.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-30-2019 07:10 AM
    Pixel 4/4XL will run the same software as my current Pixel 2 XL Al lest for a year.
    So I have no interest in P4/4XL, I am looking forward for P5/5XL. Money is not an issue, I hate to buy because it's new. Don't get me wrong, I used to change phones every 4-6 months, now I buy shares of the company every time they come up with new things everyone is excited about
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-30-2019 02:37 PM
    Pixel 4/4XL will run the same software as my current Pixel 2 XL Al lest for a year.
    So I have no interest in P4/4XL, I am looking forward for P5/5XL. Money is not an issue, I hate to buy because it's new. Don't get me wrong, I used to change phones every 4-6 months, now I buy shares of the company every time they come up with new things everyone is excited about
    You have a *really* good point about the Pixel 2 line sharing the exact same software as the upcoming Pixel 4 line. Even if it's only for a year. That's a good thing to consider.
    01-31-2019 01:26 PM

"when text messages go missing, photos don't save, ram management is appalling, a second artificial notch appears randomly etc."
    I am running Pie and I have none of the issues you mentioned. I was running it since the 2nd beta came out for it.
    02-10-2019 08:25 AM
    RAM management was fixed and none of the other issues happened to everyone
    02-16-2019 08:03 AM
    Substantial price decrease and getting rid of the notch/hole.
    02-18-2019 12:42 PM
    Substantial price decrease and getting rid of the notch/hole.
    I can can almost guarantee that there won't be a substantial price decrease so if that's a deal breaker for you then you most likely won't be getting it.
    02-18-2019 07:29 PM
    I will automatically become interested, but what it will take for me to purchase is simple. My P2 must be in need of replacement. Otherwise probably gonna pass.
    Morty2264, Rukbat and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-19-2019 11:45 AM
186 123 ...