Capacitive buttons

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If this happens (and these are still all wild rumors), I still think they'll make use of Active Edge. The main concern there would be accessibility, though -- they need to consider people who might not have the dexterity nor strength to squeeze the phone.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I use it a fair amount to power the screen on and off .
I guess if it's seem less it won't matter but I'm doubtful .

Oh okay .. I only hit the power button maybe twice a month, but I understand users are different. Some power down daily I've heard, so heavy use of a button like that might pose a problem longer term for sure.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh okay .. I only hit the power button maybe twice a month, but I understand users are different. Some power down daily I've heard, so heavy use of a button like that might pose a problem longer term for sure.

I would volume buttons would be a bigger concern

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I would volume buttons would be a bigger concern

I would agree... makes me think that something on screen might be the way to go to reduce wearing down the function, but that type of interface would be really slow and a poor user experience... so probably not on screen. Lol!

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I normally power the screen off before I set it down as a habit . And sometimes depending on how I pick it up I'll power it on with the power button . Other times I'll do the double tap to wake .
I've tried the 10e and the regular s10
And honestly I just always end up back on my pixel . That's why I'm having anxiety about the button thing LOL.
I love my phone the way it is for the most part and I don't want to many changes . Let's not ruin a good thing just for the sake of change.

I keep 2 emails synced and tons of calls and texts everyday . To say I interact with my phone constantly during the day is a understatement .

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I normally power the screen off before I set it down as a habit . And sometimes depending on how I pick it up I'll power it on with the power button . Other times I'll do the double tap to wake .
I've tried the 10e and the regular s10
And honestly I just always end up back on my pixel . That's why I'm having anxiety about the button thing LOL.
I love my phone the way it is for the most part and I don't want to many changes . Let's not ruin a good thing just for the sake of change.

I keep 2 emails synced and tons of calls and texts everyday . To say I interact with my phone constantly during the day is a understatement .

I hear you. I appreciate different workflows. I forget too often that my user case isn't everyone's. For the longest time, I didn't understand the whole on device storage thing and why having high storage limits would be important. Took hearing other use cases where latency and data budgeting play a critical role for some, such as more rural areas.

With what you've described, that confidence and certainty is of high importance. I can completely get that, and would probably feel the same now that I think about it.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Probably so if it's true .

Honestly it's like why ? I mean does it make the phone cheaper to manufacture ? Or what ?
I'm sure if it's true it'll be touted as some great benefit to us but I'll have to see it to believe it .

My 12+ has all the makings of a great phone , but the crappy buttons make it a non starter .

Buttons are a failure point, which is why they'd want to remove them.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Buttons are a failure point, which is why they'd want to remove them.

Yet I've owned tons of phones over the years and used the crap out of them and I don't ever recall 1 time a button falling .

You know what else never failed those barrel shaped chargers that Nokia use to use back in the day . Can't say that for any of the micro USB crap we have now .

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Yet I've owned tons of phones over the years and used the crap out of them and I don't ever recall 1 time a button falling .

You know what else never failed those barrel shaped chargers that Nokia use to use back in the day . Can't say that for any of the micro USB crap we have now .
Agreed. I've had dozens of devices and never had a button fail. I prefer and want a tactile feel of a button.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

From a manufacturing standpoint, the only thing I can think of is that it would reduce potential points of entry for liquids.

As for barrel ports, they only performed one function. Most phones are now USB C which have a pretty low failure rate.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
From a manufacturing standpoint, the only thing I can think of is that it would reduce potential points of entry for liquids.

As for barrel ports, they only performed one function. Most phones are now USB C which have a pretty low failure rate.

The USB C is definitely an improvement over the micro USB . Although I had decent luck with those.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember where I saw it (Android Central?) but one "sneak peek" said that they had given up the capacitive button idea, and gone back to physical buttons.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463