Are media smoking crack?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
They are obsessed with bezels. I think Google has got it right. That fugly notch last year was just awful. The worst looking thing. No way I was going to get a Pixel 3XL. But if the 4 has a bezel then fine with me. I love my 2 XL bezels and all.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Bezel is the new "premium feel" trash that Apple duped fools into thinking was an actual thing.

This bezel hysteria is ridiculous. The media is driving this narrative that bezels are a bad thing, powered by the phone companies who need to create the illusion of an upgrade.

Phone sales where dropping like a stone, folks didn't need a new phone, so Samsuck and Crapple cooked up this thing with bezels and gestures to sell phones..... It worked. There are plenty of disadvantages to these ultra thin bezel phones. The structure of the phone and drop protection are huge.

People fell for the okie doke.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Bezel is the new "premium feel" trash that Apple duped fools into thinking was an actual thing.

This bezel hysteria is ridiculous. The media is driving this narrative that bezels are a bad thing, powered by the phone companies who need to create the illusion of an upgrade.

Phone sales where dropping like a stone, folks didn't need a new phone, so Samsuck and Crapple cooked up this thing with bezels and gestures to sell phones..... It worked. There are plenty of disadvantages to these ultra thin bezel phones. The structure of the phone and drop protection are huge.

People fell for the okie doke.

Exactly my point..I don't want gimmicky garbage on my phone. I could care less about a bezel. I want a phone that works consistently and that is the Pixel.

The media totally play up the bezel and no WOW features too much.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The notch was awful, I am happy with bezels but make them count don't just have bezels to be lazy
I couldn't care less about notches, holes, and bezels.
Not everyone will be happy regardless of what they put out so it's really a matter of what an individual finds as a best fit. There's only two Android brands I'll consider at the moment and they both have enough options to keep me happy. That can change though.

Last edited:

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I would much rather have a small bezel and KEEP the front firing speakers .
The media drives so much it's ridiculous , remember when Motorola had carbon fiber backs ? And you didn't really need a case ?
Remember whenever we had replaceable batteries ? Thanks to the media's ******** we've got glass backed phones now all for the sake of premium feel ....
Yet I can't remember the last time I seen any phone in the wild without a case .
And after the case goes on where's that premium feel ?

And all the ******** about the camera hump , can anybody point me to a phone without a camera hump ?
And after the case goes on it's a non issue anyway .

Then there's the wireless charging everybody makes such a big deal about , I've never got mine to work on any phone while it was still in the case ..
I actually think the phone makers and the phone buyers (us) must be smoking crack for continuing to let the media dictate what's what.

I couldn't care less what my phone looks like out in public , I only care about performance.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Completely agree, OP. media is, and has been, straight smoking dope.

It's outside of my understanding. The tech media and so called influencers are pushing these false narratives as though they speak for users by proxy.

It concerns me that Google will allow their narrative to carry too much weight with future Pixel designs.

Last edited:

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
The media drives so much it's ridiculous , remember when Motorola had carbon fiber backs ? And you didn't really need a case ?
Remember whenever we had replaceable batteries ? Thanks to the media's ******** we've got glass backed phones now all for the sake of premium feel ....
Yet I can't remember the last time I seen any phone in the wild without a case .

And all the ******** about the camera hump , can anybody point me to a phone without a camera hump ?

Then there's the wireless charging everybody makes such a big deal about , I've never got mine to work on any phone while it was still in the case ..
I actually think the phone makers and the phone buyers (us) must be smoking crack for continuing to let the media dictate what's what.

I couldn't care less what my phone looks like out in public , I only care about performance.

Oppo Reno Zoom 10x ??????

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Give me a moderate bezel and a 5" screen, and I will be happy.

The 5 inch screen has gone the way of the dodo bird. Honestly a 5 inch today would feel like a 4.3 inch to me now, and that's just too small. Heck I remember when the droid x was considered big at 4.3 inches. That thing is tiny to me now.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The 3xl notch was hideous, but could be hidden with an app (natcho notch) which basically gives the 3xl a top bezel just like on the 2 xl on on these pixel 4 xl renders. Anything is better than that notch on the 3xl or the iphone

Casualballer

Apr 28, 2019
Visit site

I agree with the sentiment expressed here. BTW my phone (lg g8) doesn't have a camera hump, so there is at least one.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's all click bait. Will be honest, didn't read the article linked in the original post, but saw multiple headlines recently talking about the HUGE bezel on the 4. It is nothing more than websites trying to cash in on the bezel outrage of the last few years and get visits to their site. Honestly, everyone site on I see this one makes me loss confidence in the site. (Half expected to see a similar article on androidcentral…)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well Google's design team simply aren't making designs that are nearly as good as the competition's. Apple, Samsung, Huawei, OnePlus - all have nicer designs for their phones.

Basically, if Google want to charge $800+ for their phones, the expectation is that its first class in every respect - including physical design.

If you're happy with Google's designs, then great! Just ignore the articles that talk about the Pixel 4's large top bezel.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well Google's design team simply aren't making designs that are nearly as good as the competition's. Apple, Samsung, Huawei, OnePlus - all have nicer designs for their phones.

Basically, if Google want to charge $800+ for their phones, the expectation is that its first class in every respect - including physical design.

If you're happy with Google's designs, then great! Just ignore the articles that talk about the Pixel 4's large top bezel.
Well since everyone likes different things it's not that simple.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

It's all opinion stated as fact . To me saying the pixel 3 having a top and bottom bezel is a bad design is just someone's opinion . My opinion is not having dual front firing speakers is a bad design . A phone in my opinion is a tool first and a fashion statement second .

And I own the iPhone xs and the Samsung s10 , both are good phones but both have some things that could be better . And there not really any better than the pixel 3 from a design standpoint , IMHO .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's all opinion stated as fact . To me saying the pixel 3 having a top and bottom bezel is a bad design is just someone's opinion . My opinion is not having dual front firing speakers is a bad design . A phone in my opinion is a tool first and a fashion statement second .

And I own the iPhone xs and the Samsung s10 , both are good phones but both have some things that could be better . And there not really any better than the pixel 3 from a design standpoint , IMHO .
Exactly

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
My opinion is not having dual front firing speakers is a bad design.

Yeah, that's been my take, too, for years now, and the lopsided look of the Pixel 4 renders/images made me think about that missing bottom speaker. And the fact that I damned near never use it. I can't remember the last time that I watched a video on my 2XL or played music on it like it was an oldschool radio. I'm thinking now that I really only want it there for symmetry and some sense of handset nostalgia. If it's there, cool, but as long as whatever bottom-firing speaker they opt for is loud enough and not a tinny, buzzy mess, I can be okay with that, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz