Bezels didn't suck until Samsuck and crApple told you they did.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Very true, and the options that are available may be undesirable in other ways. Android use to have a lot of different options, but now it's all become cookie cutter mainstream, or fringe (I.e. One or two cool niche features in an otherwise lackluster phone).

I do agree we played a part in it by wanting smaller bezels, but the manufacturers took that to mean remove all possible non-screen areas (curved/edge screens aren't enough, now some have a rear screen as well). Now consumers are saying they need to reign in some and at least give us something to hold on to without unwanted touches. The manufacturers have turned this into something like the megapixels was with cameras. More isn't always better, and can even hurt the final result.

True in so many ways. - IMO - no matter what the makers do there will always be a bunch of users who don't like it - a bunch of users who do like it - and a bunch of users who could care less - it is how life worked, works, and will work.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
You mean like the OP starting off by referring to those who like slim bezels as "sheeple" (who were simply "hoodwinked)? I'd say that kind of set the tone...

Well, I will admit, that it was a little inflammatory, but it was to speak at how easily we are influenced by social media.

I remember the iPhone 5 media campaign; I am speaking of the "precious jewel" trash. That lead to the "premium feel" trash. That whole fiasco was driven by Apple and the journalists who pushed it for clicks.

That lead us to a world of glass phones(glass phones, are you kidding me?????). Samsung's ABS plastic were made out of the same material that American Football helmets were made of. That was pure function, and the shiny exterior still looked decent. That went away because it didn't "feel premium". A few broken phones later, and the cellphone case industry has exploded.

To me, that was pure sheep behavior. Follow a trend, because someone told you to follow it.

Let's go back to that precious jewel comment, think about what it said, then go look at an iPhone 5. Bezels, thick!!!!!!!pneone111!!11!!!! BEZELZORZ!!!!!!!

How did that go to being beautiful, symmetric and a "precious jewel", to being bad? That would be Samsung and Apples advertising, powered by by social media journalism.

Bezels have a purpose. People liked them, and they suddenly didn't. The industry will be getting pushed that way, due to social media and hack journalism.

They will roll back, just like the notch is, once retractable cameras break. Glass backs keep breaking, because cases can't work with retractable cameras. Once water kills phones due to the lack of water proofing, because of moving parts.

Once people are stuck with bad gestures, because they sacrifed function to have this idea of no bezles on a phone.

In other words, it won't be but a cycle or two before bezels are back, due to the loss of function of a device.

Looks aside, one person like notches and holes, others hate them. That's taste preference.

What is a fact. is bezels have a purpose. I can not say that there was no talk at all about bezel hate before Apple and Samsung pulled this junk, but on these forums, I can't find very much talk at all about it, I looked.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
What kills me are the tech channels on YouTube who loved the Galaxy S9/Note 9 design but when the Pixel 4 leaks with similar slim bezels they're like "Looks like it has a MASSIVE top bezel and HUGE chin".

This whole form over function mantra that has taken over the industry is annoying and a lot of people are buying right into it. People go nuts for the pretty glass backed phones with no bezels but then wrap in a heinous plastic case and cheap plastic "screen protector" from a booth at the mall lol. They want a super thin phone but then complain about battery life.

You don't need a glass back for wireless charging. My Lumia 950 had a poly-carbonate removable back (which means removable battery too) and it had wireless charging. Not to mention dual-sim AND microSD card slot (not using the second SIM slot).

Galaxy S5 had removable back and battery and was still water resistant etc.

My dream phone would be the Pixel 4 as it looks it in leaks, but with a removable back like the Lumia 950 had and microSD support.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
My ideal phone would be an all-aluminium one (apart from the screen of course). These are the specs:

-Snapdragon 845/855 or Kirin 980 with 6GB RAM
-128GB storage or 64GB with MicroSD
-6.2 inch more or less all screen QHD AMOLED display (curved on the sides like on the S10)
-Punch hole or waterdrop notch
-Cameras like on the P30 Pro (5x optical zoom, ultra-wide and main with good low light abilities and slightly saturated colours)
-4000mAh battery
-Runs on stock Android or OneUI

Personally I never really liked bezels and welcomed the all screen trend as it brought many benefits. However I think current designs are fine as they are...no need for pop-ups (make the phone thicker, fragile etc)

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I literally could not care less about bezels or the lack thereof.

Same. I buy a phone I like. Whether it has a slim bezel, no bezel or a sizable one is a first world problem if ever there was one.

It's a case by case basis for me. As long as it fits the overall design of the phone, I just don't give a crap about the drama.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I had always used phones with flat screens and bezels. However, my latest is a curved screen, bezel-less Samsung Galaxy S10+. The curved screen and the lack of bezels has not had any impact on my usage of the phone. It's something that doesn't matter to me.

BTW, this is my first Samsung device. My previous Android phones were from Moto and LG. I have no brand loyalty and simply chose Samsung since I needed a new phone, and the features of the S10+ fit my needs the most. Those features were unrelated to bezels or lack thereof.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Same. I buy a phone I like. Whether it has a slim bezel, no bezel or a sizable one is a first world problem if ever there was one.

It's a case by case basis for me. As long as it fits the overall design of the phone, I just don't give a crap about the drama.

Well, we are talking about $800+ phones, so yeah of course it's a "first world problem." As is every other concern addressed here.

ab2c4

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have strongly disliked bezels since my first smart phone eight years ago. I am so happy with have very little bezels now.

nobitakun

Apr 30, 2020
Visit site
The notch and punch holes are the worse things to ever happen to the cellphone.

These two companies hoodwinked everyone into believing this trash was a good thing.

The structural integrity of a phone with no bezel is garbage. One drop with bezels cracks a screen, with non, it destroys your screen. That leads to new phones.

They needed to get the numbers up since sales dipped. They invented a fix to a problem that didn't exist. A ton of people fell for it.

This anti bezel hysteria is way worse than the trash "premium feel" trash people were pushing after the whole "precious jewel" crap that Apple pulled off.

Sheeple are gonna sheep!

Absolute agree. I want the damn bezels back, with my hardware buttons. Stupid people that think only on making the things cooler and stylish should go to hell and redesign it.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Absolute agree. I want the damn bezels back, with my hardware buttons. Stupid people that think only on making the things cooler and stylish should go to hell and redesign it.

Stupid people are the ones that are too dumb to realize that small bezels is screen to body ratio. Having a bigger screen size while keeping the overall size of the phone to a minimum. The smart ones realize this. Sort of like the iPhone 6,7 and 8 plus was big for no reason. It's almost laughable for a phone with only a 5.5" screen to be that big.

dekatch

Apr 8, 2019
Visit site
I want a phone with all cameras and sensors on the front, including a second priority smaller screen on the front and move the first priority screen on the back.

The secondary front is good for the occasional messaging, mailing, posting, selfie etc. While we get an polished untouched not notched screen on the back

Make the glass an all around edge and be gone with it

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac