A Grim Outlook for Battery Life?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
One word - Stadia. Probably led to the 90mhz refresh rate, same should have been a reason for increasing battery size. I would love to be wrong and I agree with others that the smaller battery will see lasting issues

What's Stadia got to do with it?

And I agree with OP. 2,800mah battery on a 5.6" screen phone with 90hz refresh rate....doesn't sound like a recipe for a long lasting phone.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes I purchased Stadia. If I can or anyone can play on their phone I see battery life as an issue.

Also preordered Stadia. I have the 3 XL, planning on a 'wait and see' for the 4 XL.

There's not much (aside from a couple of dedicated machines like ROG 2 with 6,000mAH) out there in the way of phones that will handle any serious amount of conventional gaming, but much of that is because of the on-device processing demand. With Stadia offloading all of that to the cloud and basically reducing the on-device power demand to that of streaming video, running the Stadia app, and uploading user interactions, it should be substantially less taxing.

It will be interesting to see how quickly Stadia use drains the battery, but I would be very, very surprised if it is more than 1/2 the rate of some of the more intensive on-device games.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Most of the phones on your list are in the same ball park except for 2. Hardly cause for concern. I have both S10plus and the Pixel 3XL. I use my phones all day long and get similar battery life.

I am having a similar experience between my S10+ and 2XL

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
In my experience the 3XL's battery life was okay and I lived with it for months. The P4 is supposed to have more mAh so I'm hopeful that the battery life will be better.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
90hz won't have any effect on Stadia. Stadia won't run any better on the Pixel than any other phone out there.
I was trying to find out if it only works on Pixel devices and apparently when it's released that's the case. I assume other devices will added. They also indicated that Stadia controller only works wirelessly with Chromecast. Laptops and phones need a wired connection.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I was trying to find out if it only works on Pixel devices and apparently when it's released that's the case. I assume other devices will added. They also indicated that Stadia controller only works wirelessly with Chromecast. Laptops and phones need a wired connection.
I'm only going to play Stadia on PC.

And the point still stands, the 90hz display on Pixel 4 will have no effect on Stadia.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

While not a great start, as always, so many things affect this. I will wait for normal users to give us some comparisons of their normal daily use and how it compares to past phones. As always, one user's snapshot can mean anything (He has LTE on, no wifi, how was his signal all day? What's his screen brightness? 100 other things.

Still, not a great first snapshot. Even more concerning is that this is the XL too. :-/

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
That’s horrible battery life. I can’t believe that any company would consider anything less the. 3500mAh. I also feel the note 10+ should have a bigger battery also. It’s time for function over form.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Without a doubt, the best thing to do is to speculate before anyone has production phones in their hands. And remember, when speculating, always assume the worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes