Does the Pixel line launch too late each year?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
But who outside of the tech community really even follows the release calendar? I think we forget that we're not a reflection of the mass public.

I’m not sure who doesn’t know iPhones get released-in September.

Even if they don’t , Apple advertises the hell out of them , and then they know. They don’t need to know release schedules when you see commercials.

October is definitely a terrible release time period, no question.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I’m not sure who doesn’t know iPhones get released-in September.

Even if they don’t , Apple advertises the hell out of them , and then they know. They don’t need to know release schedules when you see commercials.

October is definitely a terrible release time period, no question.

So 30 days later from the iPhone is too late in cycle? The fall is when we have a huge rush of releases, tho.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
It is, yes. Better to be AHEAD of the rush as well, not at the end. For all the reasons stated above.

Well okay... I guess I just see it the opposite. Advertising a brand new device right before the holiday season seems reasonable to me... I mean, Black Friday is a huge shopping day in the United States.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well okay... I guess I just see it the opposite. Advertising a brand new device right before the holiday season seems reasonable to me... I mean, Black Friday is a huge shopping day in the United States.
I don't believe anyone here including myself is better equipped than Google to determine what's best for them. We also have to take into consideration Google's bread and butter is not hardware.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe anyone here including myself is better equipped than Google to determine what's best for them. We also have to take into consideration Google's bread and butter is not hardware.

Exactly this!! I was just about to post the same thought. There's difference between having to sell a device and wanting to sell a device!

If nothing else, Google understands data better than any other company in the world. They know better than me, you, any tech blog or any forum what it is that they want to accomplish with their hardware division.

For people who don't know "Other Revenues", which include Cloud (GCP), Play Store and the Hardware division made up less that 16% of total revenue for Google in Q2 this year. Anybody thinking Google is under some kind of competitive pressure in Hardware is ill-informed to say the least.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I mean we counted the pixel 3a and 3a xl out , I was one of them thought they were going to do bad ..look at how that turned out , sold more then the flagship pixel . They have people working for them discuss these things .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly this!! I was just about to post the same thought. There's difference between having to sell a device and wanting to sell a device!

If nothing else, Google understands data better than any other company in the world. They know better than me, you, any tech blog or any forum what it is that they want to accomplish with their hardware division.

For people who don't know "Other Revenues", which include Cloud (GCP), Play Store and the Hardware division made up less that 16% of total revenue for Google in Q2 this year. Anybody thinking Google is under some kind of competitive pressure in Hardware is ill-informed to say the least.
There's various reasons why each manufacturer staggers their product from the competition's release date. Hell, they even stagger their releases amongst their own product line.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I mean we counted the pixel 3a and 3a xl out , I was one of them thought they were going to do bad ..look at how that turned out , sold more then the flagship pixel . They have people working for them discuss these things .
Did it actually outsell the flagship or is that just an impression? Even if it did it was aimed at a different segment as it should be. The 3a is not something I would buy. Not that it's unworthy....just not my thing.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Did it actually outsell the flagship or is that just an impression? Even if it did it was aimed at a different segment as it should be. The 3a is not something I would buy. Not that it's unworthy....just not my thing.

On the earnings call Sundar said the "...3a helped them sell twice as many Pixels YoY." Now that would also include Flagship Pixel 3's as well as 3a's from multiple carriers in Q2 2019 vs just the Pixel 2's mainly sold from Verizon and Google mainly in Q2 2018.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe anyone here including myself is better equipped than Google to determine what's best for them..

Right... So when we consumers wanted waterproofing in the Pixel and it was missing, Google knew better, yes?

When they didn’t have wireless charging in Pixels , they knew better, yes?

Well, then they reversed themselves and realized they don’t always know best and corrected themselves.

They don’t always know what’s best by a long shot. So yes October remains a terrible launch window competitively. A more likely explanation for the poor choice would be that they started the first one in October and then just never bothered to change their iteration cycle.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
On the earnings call Sundar said the "...3a helped them sell twice as many Pixels YoY." Now that would also include Flagship Pixel 3's as well as 3a's from multiple carriers in Q2 2019 vs just the Pixel 2's mainly sold from Verizon and Google mainly in Q2 2018.
No doubt that it had potential....i always felt they should have never dropped the Nexus line, and just added the Pixel as their premiere line instead. But again....who are we to decide what's strategically best for their bottom line?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No doubt that it had potential....i always felt they should have never dropped the Nexus line, and just added the Pixel as their premiere line instead. But again....who are we to decide what's strategically best for their bottom line?
Dont talk about the Nexus line, I'm developing a bad eye twitch..

Edit: missed the nexus line

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer