Does the Pixel line launch too late each year?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Right... So when we consumers wanted waterproofing in the Pixel and it was missing, Google knew better, yes?

When they didn’t have wireless charging in Pixels , they knew better, yes?

Well, then they reversed themselves and realized they don’t always know best and corrected themselves.

They don’t always know what’s best by a long shot. So yes October remains a terrible launch window competitively. A more likely explanation for the poor choice would be that they started the first one in October and then just never bothered to change their iteration cycle.

Right... So when we consumers wanted waterproofing in the Pixel and it was missing, Google knew better, yes?

When they didn’t have wireless charging in Pixels , they knew better, yes?

Well, then they reversed themselves and realized they don’t always know best and corrected themselves.

IThey don’t always know what’s best by a long shot. So yes October remains a terrible launch window competitively. A more likely explanation for the poor choice would be that they started the first one in October and then just never bothered to change their iteration cycle.

It's rather silly for us to argue that we know better than Google. Of course I can't change anyone's opinion and quite frankly I don't intend to but some of the things I hear in this and other threads are nothing more than speculation as opposed to illumination. That's OK....that's part of why this forum flourishes and right, wrong or indifferent, it gives us little folk a place to exchange ideas.

As for specific examples of feature changes being for the better, not everyone wanted those changes and I haven't seen any evidence that it made a hell of a lot more sales based on those changes and we all know that hardware is not Google's prime focus.

Personally, I didn't ask for water resistance and wireless charging. From my perspective water resistance was the beginning of the end of the ability to swap out batteries. I wasnt a happy camper initially, but I survived because because fast charging negated that loss for me. I also think going to glass backs as opposed to a more durable substance to gain wireless charging is foolish from a durability perspective and fast charging more than adequately negates the need for wireless charging. Is wireless charging convenient?...of course, but not everyone was begging for these changes and the lack of them weren't deal breakers for everyone. Incidently, Google was not the only late bloomer of water resistance and wireless charging. Regardless that's mutually exclusive from a October release date being a good or bad decision and very difficult to prove or disprove.

People buy in cycles for a variety of reasons. I don't expect anyone to truly believe that average consumers buy their devices based around a specific release date or who releases their model first in any given calendar year? I don't know anyone personally that fits that mold and I feel sorry for anyone does.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
@Mike Dee. LOL. Yes, Google knows more than us what we want. Ok then :)Sounds fair.

Their data... is often wrong. I provided 2 examples of it and could give 10 more if needed.

The point is this: You are arguing that this launch date has to be right because Google is a data company and their data says so.

You can't say all their decisions are data driven but then later say : well it wasn't a data error, they were just "late" with features. So the data was wrong before, or wrong after, or they didn't use data. It couldn’t have been right both times.

So if the silly argument here is “Google knows best because their data says so”, we’ll that’s just not true, and we can agree to disagree.

It’s a bad launch window. It’s ok. Google’s not perfect Mike. Really it’s OK ...:)

Also ...

People buy in cycles for a variety of reasons. I don't expect anyone to truly believe that average consumers buy their devices based around a specific release date or who releases their model first in any given calendar year? I don't know anyone personally that fits that mold and I feel sorry for anyone does.

You're making it unnecessarily complicated. It's this simple:
- Jane sees iPhone ad in September.
- Jane buys iPhone.
- Later in the Year Pixel is announced. Jane already has a iPhone.

There's no nuanced buying cycles needed here for this to be clear. It is pretty easy to see actually.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
@Mike Dee. LOL. Yes, Google knows more than us what we want. Ok then . Sounds fair.

Their data... is often wrong. I provided 2 examples of it and could give 10 more if needed.

Just because you, or I, wanted something or didn’t doesn’t matter. The point is that Google ‘s ‘data’ thought users didn’t. And then, it thought they did. So it was wrong before or wrong after. It couldn’t have been right both times.

If the silly argument here , “Google knows best because their data says so”, we’ll that’s just not true, and we can agree to disagree.

It’s a bad launch window. It’s ok. Google’s not perfect Mike. Really it’s OK ...
I never said they were perfect....I don't even own one at the moment. I can wait till October, November or the 4th of Never...lol

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I never said they were perfect....I don't even own one at the moment. I can wait till October, November or the 4th of Never...lol

Me too, and I am using a Samsung now too. But then I suspect neither of us is in any danger of buying an iPhone anyway :)

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Bottom line is that by the time they have their phones in customers' hands, they're almost in early January of the next year and at the time the next Qualcomm processor is announced. They're always behind. Personally I think they need to resolve shipping delays and launch just after or just prior to the iPhone at latest.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Bottom line is that by the time they have their phones in customers' hands, they're almost in early January of the next year and at the time the next Qualcomm processor is announced. They're always behind. Personally I think they need to resolve shipping delays and launch just after or just prior to the iPhone at latest.
Good point , but you can say this for any of the manufacturer that sell the flagship in August, Sept, October next new thing around the corner .

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Good point , but you can say this for any of the manufacturer that sell the flagship in August, Sept, October next new thing around the corner .

Not really. Google takes ages to ship their devices compared to others. The iPhone was launched on Sept 10, and will be in customers' hands tomorrow, Sept 20. The Pixel will launch on October 15, and if we're lucky, people may have them in their hands end of November if the past is anything to go by.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not really. Google takes ages to ship their devices compared to others. The iPhone was launched on Sept 10, and will be in customers' hands tomorrow, Sept 20. The Pixel will launch on October 15, and if we're lucky, people may have them in their hands end of November if the past is anything to go by.
Usually from October 15 a week or 2 should be able get your hands on if I remember my pixel 3xl pre order.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just try to keep things into a simpler perspective. Because it's a continuous cycle, my thoughts are that the calendar year doesn't matter much from a consumer perspective. Excluding what works best for an OEM's bottom line, it shouldn't matter much when any OEM releases a device or whether it's the latest Qualcomn processor. If we didn't know which processor was in the device its doubtful that anyone would know the difference because the changes are very incremental. I think it's a great strategy on Qualcomm's part, but it makes suckers out of the consumer.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't know where you ordered yours but I ordered my Pixel 3XL October 9th and received it on October 18th. That was straight from Google.

Edit....I see where you posted an update to mustang about your order.Screenshot_20190919-135518_Chrome.jpeg

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Don't know where you ordered yours but I ordered my Pixel 3XL October 9th and received it on October 18th. That was straight from Google.

Edit....I see where you posted an update to mustang about your order.View attachment 310260

Like I said in a previous post, I had massive delays for the Pixel and the Pixel 2. I didn't order the 3. If they've got it sorted, then my comment is probably not relevant at this point.

cboyer

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep I think it is. I am an example, now on Note 10+ and probably won't look at pixel 4. But yes, brand loyalty plays a big part, but hard to imagine they are not losing customers to Samsung and apple that both cycles are before pixel.

Google definitely should get the jump on Apple by releasing the Pixel lineup on par with the Notes release. If Google prices pixels $100 cheaper then the iPhone they could take a lot of apples consumers.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Google definitely should get the jump on Apple by releasing the Pixel lineup on par with the Notes release. If Google prices pixels $100 cheaper then the iPhone they could take a lot of apples consumers.
You'll only get fringe customers or phone hoppers. People heavily vested in IOS or their messaging features rarely switch unless they see a device that sets them on fire.....no, not the Note 7 kind of fire.

madge28

Sep 19, 2019
Visit site
OR - gaining customers who aren't thrilled with the iPhone or Samsung - we're talking about 3 of the biggest companies in the world so I'd guess they have some idea what they're doing.

But if they launch in August they will still be able to gain customers who aren’t thrilled with iPhone or Samsung.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34