Pixel 4 Pricing Leak. OMG Priccccccyyyyyy

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
they should make a mid range 6 to 700.

They practically already do. One month after the flagship line comes out, it's black Friday and it falls to around that 700 mark. It spends a lot of time being discounted to near that 700 mark for much of it's life.

Another thing is that the a series may creep up in price over the next few years. The 3a XL was $480. Add just two $50 price increases and it's basically at that 6 to 700 range you're asking for.

Yet another reason is that there's currently no combination of specs that make that segment differentiated enough. If you take the 3a and bump the processor and add wireless charging and waterproofing, it's practically indistinguishable from the 3. And that's just with adding three features. Maybe with future generations of phones there will be more room for a middle segment, but for the 3 there definitely wasn't.

terrapin01

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe the pricing leak. Certainly not those non-discounted prices.

From a bill of materials standpoint, Pixel 4 XL will be very very comparable to the OnePlus 7 Pro. Swap a camera mechanism for Soli and swap a more expensive file storage system for a cheaper one but with wireless charging. Everything else is negligible. The 7 Pro started at $670. Just for the Google name and better AI, the phone gets a more than 50% premium over a comparably built phone? I don't think so. The price should be very very similar to the 3 series, and not that much higher than the 7 Pro, IMO.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
A few key things to bear in mind when trying to gain context for these prices:

1. The very title of the initial article (which was the source cited by the article linked by the OP) indicated that the pricing as leaked was "unreliable" - but like any rumor, each subsequent article by which it is posted opts for its own telling of the tale, often omitting details or changing the 'size of the fish.'
  2. The pricing as shown for USA is not even purported to be USA pricing; rather, it's simply a direct conversion from local currency to USD.
  3. Ireland's pricing is inflated in comparison to USA pricing as it includes VAT, making a direct conversion to USD immediately faulty.
  4. Ireland's pricing (along with that for other EU member countries) could potentially also be additionally inflated vs the USA market as a result of last year's EU ruling against Google
  5. The pricing on Elara's site hasn't even remained constant for the new devices - it's been floating around different numbers since the initial report of the leak (Elara being the original source of the leak)

If in spite of all of the above I still personally wanted to give any credence to these leaks, I would at least look at things in terms of relative price (%) as that could help diminish some of the impacting factors. This lets me walk the glass-half-full line by considering this image taken directly from the initial reporting article:

Elara-Online-Ireland-Buy-Laptops-Tablets-Computers-Printers-Monitors-Hard-Disks-Drives-Memory-Pr.jpg

So if the 128GB Pixel 3 is €1022.13, and the direct replacement 128GB Pixel 4 is €942.18, that means the Pixel 4 is being introduced at a lowerprice, 7.8% less, so... Translating that % discount to USA pricing in context of the 128GB Pixel 3 (retail), I'll be able to order a Pixel 4 128GB for $830 USD, right? And that's assuming that the 'current' Pixel 3 pricing is still at full retail and not reflecting any discounts. Hey, sign me up!!!1!1!!one!!!

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
It's on par with the other flagships. Not a surprise to me.

The S10+ costs $999 in the US with 128GB/8GB configuration. If those prices are correct, the Pixel 4 XL $1,396 for a 128GB/6GB configuration.

Not sure whether the ‘Pixel experience’ is worth an extra approximate $400, since the Pixel experience is slightly better software (support) and main camera.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The S10+ costs $999 in the US with 128GB/8GB configuration. If those prices are correct, the Pixel 4 XL $1,396 for a 128GB/6GB configuration.

Not sure whether the ‘Pixel experience’ is worth an extra approximate $400, since the Pixel experience is slightly better software (support) and main camera.
Take it one step higher....Note 10+ 256GB 12GB is 1099

Last edited:

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If those prices are correct, the Pixel 4 XL $1,396 for a 128GB/6GB configuration.

These prices are not correct for US, even if the sourcing were (and it's highly unlikely that they were) in Ireland. The original article's author noted they were highly suspect, pointed out issues. I noted other issues above.

The initial leaking store has changed pricing on their site... A Pixel 4 is notably less than a Pixel 3, but the XL version notably more... Too many questionables to take this leak seriously.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci