If the newest leaked info is correct, the Pixel 4 & XL will not have a fingerprint reader. Only a face unlock. I really enjoy using the fingerprint reader, and use my ring finger in case someone tries to force me to unlock my phone.

I feel the facial unlock is insecure. Am I wrong?
    09-23-2019 07:16 PM

I feel the facial unlock is insecure. Am I wrong?
    They'll surely be using a heavy amount of AI to make it more secure than other implementations. I'm expecting them to discuss it heavily on Oct. 15 making their case for what's so great about it, why it's so secure, etc.
    09-24-2019 09:28 AM
    Facial unlock can be quite secure from a purely biometric standpoint, but functionally speaking someone isn't likely to be able to pick up your phone and say "hey is this yours" leading you to glance over and unwittingly push your fingertip to the FPS, where your glancing their direction could be all it would take to unlock it.

Presumably the confidence in security will be high enough that it will be sufficient for online banking and other purposes - though this will still be something app developers may need time to implement, so a short term growing pain in the absence of the FPS.

There's a discussion in the Pixel 3 forum that considers much of the pros and cons in relation to this move, at https://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ml#post6651976
    AnnDroid and Mr MnmlEngr like this.
    09-24-2019 10:34 AM
    It will take some getting used to for me. But I could deal with it. It better work good though.
    09-24-2019 09:11 PM
    I like the notification shortcut with the fingerprint reader. I will miss it if the pricing gets better
    09-24-2019 09:35 PM
    Just saw a video from 9 to 5 Google...they got a hold of the P4 launcher and put it on a P3. Anyway the launcher will have pull down anywhere on your home screen to get to notifications.
    09-26-2019 08:19 PM
    Just saw a video from 9 to 5 Google...they got a hold of the P4 launcher and put it on a P3. Anyway the launcher will have pull down anywhere on your home screen to get to notifications.
    you can do that now with Nova. works when you're on a home screen, but if you're on a webpage or in an app it can't work (for scrolling and refresh reasons)... anyway I'll miss that notification pull-down too.
    maybe if the face ID is super fast and consistantly accurate (in the dark too) and the banks like it, it'll be a good trade off.
    09-28-2019 08:58 AM
    I was on the fence about face id on the iPhone. I was sure I'd miss the fingerprint reader, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how well it works. If it's as good on the p4 as it is on the iPhone 11, i think most people will be perfectly happy with it.
    Bkdodger1 likes this.
    09-29-2019 05:15 AM
    I like the notification shortcut with the fingerprint reader. I will miss it if the pricing gets better
    I'm with you on this. I use the fingerprint sensor alot for bringing down the notification shade. Still, it's not a deal breaker. Looking forward to swapping out my old Pixel XL for a new phone.
    09-29-2019 06:54 AM
    I switch back and forth between my S10+ and Pixel 2 XL and I prefer the finger print sensor on the Pixel 2 XL way more than Samsung's in glass version. I do not get "press harder" messages on my Pixel it just works flawlessly every time.
    09-29-2019 07:21 AM
    I do not get "press harder" messages on my Pixel
    Yeah this did get annoying on the S10+. The Note 10+ in my experience is much better then the S10+ but still not as good as my P3XL.
    09-29-2019 11:12 PM
    Yeah this did get annoying on the S10+. The Note 10+ in my experience is much better then the S10+ but still not as good as my P3XL.
    Interesting.... I can't tell the difference between my S10+ and Note10+. Both are Whitestone Dome installed. On the S10+ I pressed the thumb area after the first short cure like some videos show and on the Note I didn't bother. Both feel the same and I read somewhere only difference is sensor location. I wonder if I had installed it the same way on the 10 if it would have made a difference but I'm thinking no.
    As for being as good as the Pixel or most capacitive sensors that not possible at this time.
    The in screen FPS does have an advantage that it works with wet fingertips.
    09-30-2019 02:50 PM
    Interesting.... I can't tell the difference between my S10+ and Note10+. Both are Whitestone Dome installed. On the S10+ I pressed the thumb area after the first short cure like some videos show and on the Note I didn't bother. Both feel the same and I read somewhere only difference is sensor location. I wonder if I had installed it the same way on the 10 if it would have made a difference but I'm thinking no.
    As for being as good as the Pixel or most capacitive sensors that not possible at this time.
    The in screen FPS does have an advantage that it works with wet fingertips.
    I believe that the sensor is the same so maybe it has something to do with software but I get much fewer retry messages with the N10+. This time around both hands can log me in about 95% of the time. Also I do like that the FPS works with wet fingers. This came in handy so many times when the phone rang and I was in the middle of washing my hands or dishes.
    09-30-2019 07:20 PM
    Lack of fingerprint sensor seems like a huge deal. How does face recognition work if wearing sunglasses? Can it recognize your face from an angle (like holding phone below table checking messages). Or lying on the sofa? Seems I would get tired of constantly holding the phone up to my face, then lowering it.
    I just dont see why they don't include both. Face lock is essentially just software and the FPS takes up very little space.
    EMGSM and AnnDroid like this.
    10-06-2019 08:26 PM
    Lack of fingerprint sensor seems like a huge deal. How does face recognition work if wearing sunglasses? Can it recognize your face from an angle (like holding phone below table checking messages). Or lying on the sofa? Seems I would get tired of constantly holding the phone up to my face, then lowering it.
    I just dont see why they don't include both. Face lock is essentially just software and the FPS takes up very little space.
    I don't know how it will be on the Pixel but my daughter never complained on the iPhone.
    10-06-2019 09:10 PM
    This is why I think Google should give people the option to use one or the other and not just take one away. Nothing wrong with choice.
    dsignori and AnnDroid like this.
    10-07-2019 04:47 PM
    This is why I think Google should give people the option to use one or the other and not just take one away. Nothing wrong with choice.
    Exactly my thoughts.
    EMGSM likes this.
    10-08-2019 08:21 AM
    This is the one thing that is making me grit my teeth and sigh. Its probably not enough to be a deal breaker but it is annoying and unnecessary.
    10-15-2019 06:37 PM
    Looks to be more secure than other face unlocks on Android devices. We'll find out once the reviews come out. And from some of the videos I've seen looks to be really fast. I won't mind not having the fingerprint. With the option to either go to the lock screen or straight to the home screen which is nice. I hate that I have to swipe up on my iPhone to get to the home screen after the Face unlock.
    10-15-2019 07:05 PM
    This still gripes me too. Simply no reason not to include fingerprint this year, while face recognition gains app acceptance.

I mount my phone on my dash while driving and can easily slide my finger to unlock it. Yet, its sitting a good distance from my face, and sometimes to a slight angle. Does that mean I have to physically grab the phone from the dock and pull it up near my face to unlock?
    10-15-2019 07:45 PM
    Yes I liked the on-screen fingerprint on the OnePlus 6t and s10 and Note 10. Wow Google is really selling out to Apple now.
    10-15-2019 08:59 PM
    I am sure that it will be secure and fast enough just like on an iPhone, the difference is that unlike iPhone I am not sure that all apps will support face id on the pixel straight away.
    10-16-2019 02:25 AM
    I prefer a fingerprint reader. The Pixels have had perfectly place readers, in my opinion, but I would mind on in-screen if it worked well.
    10-16-2019 04:38 AM