10-22-2019 04:25 PM
303 12345 ...
tools
    Google sure is stubborn sometimes. Like others said, why not improve optimization, plus have a slightly bigger battery? Destroy the competition on this spec, versus being status quo.

Why not have a fingerprint scanner, plus the facial recognition unlock? Face unlock has too many limitations.

And on the Pixel 3, why they only included 4mb ram, when everyone knew it was not enough. I'm constantly closing all my apps as it gets sluggish.
    Never had a real issue with the 3XL and 4MB. I won't even begin to suggest that there isn't some difference but I used phones with 8 and 12GB and didn't find a real difference I day to day usage. Sure, if you want to keep a gazillion apps open you need more RAM but that doesn't mean that every app stays open without reloading. The only reason I gave up my 3XL was because I got great trade in value for it.
    10-06-2019 09:30 PM
    Never had a real issue with the 3XL and 4MB. I won't even begin to suggest that there isn't some difference but I used phones with 8 and 12GB and didn't find a real difference I day to day usage. Sure, if you want to keep a gazillion apps open you need more RAM but that doesn't mean that every app stays open without reloading. The only reason I gave up my 3XL was because I got great trade in value for it.
    I've never had a major issue, but I've also got in the habit of closing all apps several times during the day. But before I got into that habit, I often would open a non responsive app that wouldn't work until I closed every app. I don't have many apps on my phone running, try to keep it lean, but all those apps just keep open no matter how long ago I used them. I wish there was a setting to close an open app automatically if it's not been used in the past hour. Maybe there is.
    10-06-2019 10:17 PM
    I've never had a major issue, but I've also got in the habit of closing all apps several times during the day. But before I got into that habit, I often would open a non responsive app that wouldn't work until I closed every app. I don't have many apps on my phone running, try to keep it lean, but all those apps just keep open no matter how long ago I used them. I wish there was a setting to close an open app automatically if it's not been used in the past hour. Maybe there is.
    Are you sure they are open or just looking at recently opened apps?
    10-06-2019 10:38 PM
    I mean, is this really any different for a Pixel?

OG Pixel - 2770 mAh
    Pixel two - 2700 mAh
    Pixel three - 2915 mAh
    Pixel four - 2800 mAh

Looks like Google is staying within a traditional range. All generations got me through my day, but the Pixel 2 on Oreo was the best.
    I'm thinking about buying Nokia series.
    Same pure Android with more battery durability.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    10-07-2019 11:04 AM
    There are surely going to be a lot of, “How To Conserve Your P4 battery” videos on YouTube for sure.
    Use dark mode, turn off 90 hrtz, leave it in airplane mode all the time, always keep it on the charger when you can, buy something else.
    10-07-2019 11:05 AM
    Agreed. I struggled with the battery on my Pixel 2 for 2 years. When I saw that they were still planning on using small batteries for the P4, I bought a Note 10. I do miss the pure Android though.
    The XL battery is bigger than XL's of the past though. I'll wait for some YouTube drain tests first. Note 10+ is my other option though. That said, 3,700 mAh seems like for a 90hz display.
    10-07-2019 05:06 PM
    Use dark mode, turn off 90 hrtz, leave it in airplane mode all the time, always keep it on the charger when you can, buy something else.
    seriously though I think quite a few P4 users will end up doing a settings change back to 60hz.
    jaybotinc likes this.
    10-08-2019 08:51 AM
    I don't care what kind of optimization magic Google will throw in there, a 2800mAh paired with a 5.7" OLED will not end well.
    Most "normal" users don't uses their phones as much as we aficionados do, so should have no issues with a 2800mAh battery driving a device with a 5.7" OLED.

If you add the fact that the 4 features a 90Hz native refresh display, that would certainly make it a much greater challenge for daily use, except for one thing: you can't look at the change of two performance driving specs to the exclusion of all others in estimating results.

Big mistake to not acknowledge that the SD855, a 7nm chip, is 40% more energy efficient than the SD845, a 10nm chip, as used on Pixel 3/3XL.

I could just point to that and the battery and say "hey y'all, battery life is going to be through the roof with the Pixel 4!" but I'd be just as mistaken.

Another counterpoint to the 90Hz display draining more energy is that we have absolutely no details on the "neural core" - depending on what tasks are offloaded to it (presumably more than what was delegated to the "visual core" that it would seem to be replacing) and the relative efficiency with which it handles it, this could represent further energy. And in contrast, we don't know additional energy cost with Soli and the other new sensors.

The actual battery life will fall somewhere between the two extremes, and we'll have to wait a bit to see where.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    10-08-2019 09:24 AM
    I feel like the battery is a big disappointment. I can't complain yet... for the first year my OG pixel was superb. I only used one charger, the one next to my bed. I'm in the third year and it's terrible now but I think that's normal for any phone (unless I'm wrong)
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:19 AM
    seriously though I think quite a few P4 users will end up doing a settings change back to 60hz.
    I would change "will" to "should". As we have discussed in other recent threads, most users do not tweak ONE thing that requires them to open settings. Nothing. I am pretty sure there are real statistics out there that bear this out time ajd time again. So, unless it's part of the initial set up wizard or whatever pixel calls theirs or they do so incidentally by tapping battery saver whenever their battery starts getting low, the CAST majority of ppl will just complain about their battery rather than put even 20 seconds of research into fingering out how to save their battery. Wa waaaa...
    beaner b likes this.
    10-08-2019 11:44 AM
    And that will make me sad.
    10-08-2019 01:25 PM
    I feel like the battery is a big disappointment. I can't complain yet...
    My thoughts exactly. Who knows there might be some pretty good optimization tricks we don't know about.
    AbAll87 likes this.
    10-08-2019 04:16 PM
    My thoughts exactly. Who knows there might be some pretty good optimization tricks we don't know about.
    Right, and I'm sure there are, but still 2800mAh feels a bit... lacking.

3000mAh and I wouldn't have been complaining lol
    jaybotinc and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-08-2019 04:38 PM
    most users do not tweak ONE thing that requires them to open settings. Nothing. I am pretty sure there are real statistics out there that bear this out time ajd time again. So, unless it's part of the initial set up wizard or whatever pixel calls theirs or they do so incidentally by tapping battery saver whenever their battery starts getting low, the VAST majority of ppl will just complain about their battery rather than put even 20 seconds of research into fingering out how to save their battery.
    I would actually be very interested to see some kind of study/data about this in particular.
    jaybotinc and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-08-2019 04:40 PM
    From what I was reading it will be in automatic mode and switch based on content that would use 90hz .
    jaybotinc likes this.
    10-08-2019 04:44 PM
    I would actually be very interested to see some kind of study/data about this in particular.
    Me too. I have heard that these are actually pretty easy stats for developers to keep track of. My understanding is that this is especially true for the makers of since they have such direct access to your core.

So, this was how Apple knew that there 3D touch, despite it being a pretty useful feature, was not worth the cost of the extra hardware to keep around for the iPhone 11. they were able to see that despite it being awesome not many people were using it and so it didn't make sense to keep. before I learned about this I thought they just went off of surveys or what people were telling them. I guess that's not a very efficient way to find out how people are using your device. Lol
    10-08-2019 04:44 PM
    From what I was reading it will be in automatic mode and switch based on content that would use 90hz .
    Oh yeah. Though I didn't see this about the pixel, now that you mention it, I remember someone commenting that some other phone made a mistake by not doing this. But that they told the reviewer that they were working on a fix for this in their next update. That tells me that probably by now doing what you suspect will be happening on the Pixel 4 is standard programming. I mean, it just makes sense. Really good point you bring up
    10-08-2019 04:47 PM
    I feel like the battery is a big disappointment. I can't complain yet... for the first year my OG pixel was superb. I only used one charger, the one next to my bed. I'm in the third year and it's terrible now but I think that's normal for any phone (unless I'm wrong)
    The battery on my P2 was always mediocre (on power saving mode). Until it got much worse. And I was diligent about not leaving the phone on a charger once it was charged, and most of the time only let it charge to 80% and not lower than 20%.
    10-08-2019 06:41 PM
    The battery on my P2 was always mediocre (on power saving mode). Until it got much worse. And I was diligent about not leaving the phone on a charger once it was charged, and most of the time only let it charge to 80% and not lower than 20%.
    All 3 of my Pixels were set on the charger at night and taken off in the morning. All 3 of the Pixels survived with out any battery issues.

Me thinks some of you overthink battery charging way too much.
    10-08-2019 06:47 PM
    All 3 of my Pixels were set on the charger at night and taken off in the morning. All 3 of the Pixels survived with out any battery issues.

Perhaps, but the battery on my Moto X2 completely tanked in the last 2 months I had it, so battery life was my main concern. I tried a Moto Z Play for a couple of weeks because it's battery was a tank, but it was too heavy. --Im a massage therapist with overuse/nerve issues in my left wrist--Im a lefty--so this was a deal breaker for me.

I was laser-focused on prolonging battery life of the P2 so I started using the AcuBattery app, and am using it with the N10 as well.

I usually top up the battery in the morning.
    ezdoit likes this.
    10-08-2019 07:06 PM
    Perhaps, but the battery on my Moto X2 completely tanked in the last 2 months I had it, so battery life was my main concern. I tried a Moto Z Play for a couple of weeks because it's battery was a tank, but it was too heavy. --Im a massage therapist with overuse/nerve issues in my left wrist--Im a lefty--so this was a deal breaker for me.

I was laser-focused on prolonging battery life of the P2 so I started using the AcuBattery app, and am using it with the N10 as well.

I usually top up the battery in the morning.
    Ever think of consulting with a therapist about this?
    10-08-2019 07:25 PM

absolutely. someone once said on some forum somewhere that people complain about the crap battery life on the Pixel 3 because they can't afford three of them.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-08-2019 07:40 PM
    absolutely. someone once said on some forum somewhere that people complain about the crap battery life on the Pixel 3 because they can't afford three of them.
    Not 3 at one time, Pixel 1, Pixel 2, Pixel 3.
    10-08-2019 07:44 PM
    and I guess we'll find out which content won't use it next week. all I've heard so far is it'll drop down when you're watching movies/videos.
    scrolling through my apps I don't see any that 90hz wouldn't improve the experience. camera maybe? dunno really.
    10-08-2019 07:57 PM
    Not 3 at one time, Pixel 1, Pixel 2, Pixel 3.
    oh. well, I like my interpretation better.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 07:59 PM
303 12345 ...