10-22-2019 04:25 PM
303 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I should've been clearer. It is my idle time on that device. Instead of I haven't charged it in days, I should've said I haven't touched it in days .. was poor wording on my part.

My Pixel 3 actually isn't as good under the same circumstances wit it's 2915 mAh battery.
    Right, I get it. I'm not saying this size battery isn't gonna work for you. I'm just saying it's way behind the curve in late 2019 and we shouldn't let Google get away with it. I respect those that may think that this is enough, because everyone's use case is different. It just seems that , as much as we accuse Apple users of having the Apple "reality distortion field" up all the time, I feel like Android users do this too without realizing it sometimes.

In any case, the only thing that matters is individual use cases, and it sounds like for you this will do well, so that is a good thing.
    Golurk, jaybotinc, Elky64 and 1 others like this.
    10-10-2019 12:49 PM
    Saying that something is "good" or "bad" is always a matter personal perspective. If you are of the opinion that Pixel batteries are "bad" then that's cool. I don't see them as such in my usage.

Here's my idle time on my Pixel 2. I haven't charged it in days. It has a smaller battery than the one we're discussing. Now is that "bad" to you?
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Battery size doesn't mean much for my usage and charging habits. If we didn't have fast charging it might influence me a little bit more.

I can't let battery size dictate my purchase when there are other items that I consider a higher priority. Having said all that, if two devices are fairly equal at everything else I might pick the one with a larger battery unless it makes the device unyieldy. Doesn't make me right or wrong, just means I value my opinion over that of others.
    ezdoit, anon(10092459) and Elky64 like this.
    10-10-2019 12:49 PM
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Battery size doesn't mean much for my usage and charging habits. If we didn't have fast charging it might influence a little bit more.

I can't let battery size dictate my purchase when there are other items that I consider a higher priority. Having said all that, if two devices are fairly equal at everything else I might pick the one with a larger battery unless it makes the device unyieldy. Doesn't make me right or wrong, just means I value my opinion over that of others.

Thank you speaker of true words. We all value our opinions over those of others, that's why they are our opinions. Some people seem to promote their opinions as facts, they are not.
    10-10-2019 12:54 PM
    Right, I get it. I'm not saying this size battery isn't gonna work for you. I'm just saying it's way behind the curve in late 2019 and we shouldn't let Google get away with it. I respect those that may think that this is enough, because everyone's use case is different. It just seems that , as much as we accuse Apple users of having the Apple "reality distortion field" up all the time, I feel like Android users do this too without realizing it sometimes.

In any case, the only thing that matters is individual use cases, and it sounds like for you this will do well, so that is a good thing.
    I guess my thought would be what would make it "not behind" ? I feel like Pixels will never have an overly beefy spec sheet. They've said they don't have an interest in that type of build themselves. So I don't have any expectations set that a Pixel will out spec a Note 10 any time soon..

They use the latest and newest technology in their builds. They use quality materials and offer great features... So why are expectations different than what Google has said what reality is and will be?
    10-10-2019 01:04 PM
    I guess my thought would be what would make it "not behind" ?
    Oh boy. . What would make it not behind? A bigger battery. This is starting to get silly.
    Golurk, the_boon and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-10-2019 01:07 PM
    Oh boy. . What would make it not behind? A bigger battery. This is starting to get silly.
    Starting? -
    dsignori and anon(10092459) like this.
    10-10-2019 01:11 PM
    Let's approach it from another direction. Usage. If you measured batteries in usage only and this battery works through an average users day, is that really behind?
    10-10-2019 01:13 PM
    Let's approach it from another direction. Usage. If you measured batteries in usage only and this battery works through an average users day, is that really behind?
    I am not going to reply anymore on this because it’s gotten a little silly. But the point is that whatever a current users day looks like it will look way better if the battery was bigger.
    the_boon likes this.
    10-10-2019 01:17 PM
    Starting? -
    I think I picked the wrong day to quit drinking. 2800mAh? Is this a joke?-l2spwxtscxuzwrh4i.jpg
    ezdoit and mustang7757 like this.
    10-10-2019 01:21 PM
    I am not going to reply anymore on this because it’s gotten a little silly. But the point is that whatever a current users day looks like it will look way better if the battery was bigger.
    Okay we'll leave it alone. It's okay to disagree.
    ezdoit and dsignori like this.
    10-10-2019 01:25 PM
    I think I picked the wrong day to quit drinking.
    Don't worry, I'll start and it will all even out.
    10-10-2019 01:58 PM
    I think I picked the wrong day to quit drinking. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l2SpWXtScxuzWRh4I.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	311419
    You picked the wrong day to quit , It's the wrong day to run out of liquor
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-10-2019 02:08 PM
    :0
    You picked the wrong day to quit , It's the wrong day to run out of liquor
    They see me so much at the liquor store that they don't charge me tax. They must think it's for resale.
    10-10-2019 02:10 PM
    I'm just saying it's way behind the curve in late 2019
    I agree. Just about all of the flagships are at least 3000mAh or above.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-10-2019 02:20 PM
    :0They see so much at the liquor store that they don't charge me tax. They must think it's for resale.
    Interesting, the driver that delivers to my liquor store down the street always thinks he's at the wrong address when I tell him to back up the truck in my driveway , waiting with a Dolly

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    10-10-2019 02:23 PM
    In a smartphone world that is seeing more software features being added, more cameras on smartphones, larger and more power hungry displays (90hz and OLED), seeing battery size shrink is never a good thing. Especially for the Pixel 4. A 3000mAh battery is the bare minimum for a display of that size.

It’s one thing having a minimalistic philosophy. But getting basic things like battery size wrong is embarrassing.
    EMGSM and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-10-2019 04:27 PM
    In a smartphone world that is seeing more software features being added, more cameras on smartphones, larger and more power hungry displays (90hz and OLED), seeing battery size shrink is never a good thing. Especially for the Pixel 4. A 3000mAh battery is the bare minimum for a display of that size.

It’s one thing having a minimalistic philosophy. But getting basic things like battery size wrong is embarrassing.
    I get your point that as we add more features battery consumption goes up, but I'm not sure having multiple cameras has any real impact on battery life. At least not for photography even if all the sensors are active with the app open. Possibly if the front cams are involved in face ID. Just to be clear, not debating your point but it's how many mind works.

The Pixel 4 doesn't excite me regardless. I don't want to diminish it for those that are interested but I would have to get the XL model if I was in the market. It's a no for me to both models based on what has been revealed so far.
    I wish then well but it's a tuff market right now .
    jamezr likes this.
    10-10-2019 05:16 PM
    This is a weird/funny/curious thread. Lots of people complaining about the Pixel 4 battery...then in the same breath say they are not interested in the Pixel 4 regardless of battery size.

I am interested in the Pixel 4 XL and hoped it would have a bigger battery. But I am willing to wait and see real life performance before I complain. I had the Pixel 3 XL but traded it in on the Note 10+....i mean they gave me $550 for it!

But for me...i am willing to wait and see how it all plays out on Tuesday and in the coming reviews after the announcement.
    10-10-2019 09:02 PM
    This is a weird/funny/curious thread. Lots of people complaining about the Pixel 4 battery...then in the same breath say they are not interested in the Pixel 4 regardless of battery size.

I am interested in the Pixel 4 XL and hoped it would have a bigger battery. But I am willing to wait and see real life performance before I complain. I had the Pixel 3 XL but traded it in on the Note 10+....i mean they gave me $550 for it!

But for me...i am willing to wait and see how it all plays out on Tuesday and in the coming reviews after the announcement.
    I'm not sure who you are referring to but I''m not interested in the 4 regardless of battery size but I didn't complain about the battery
    10-10-2019 09:26 PM
    I power my phone on pure wokeness.

#problemsolved
    10-10-2019 10:10 PM

Couldn't agree more. This has turned into my biggest concern regarding the P4. What is Google thinking?
    Golurk and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-10-2019 10:22 PM
    I power my phone on pure wokeness.

#problemsolved
    #Dead
    mustang7757 and jaybotinc like this.
    10-10-2019 10:36 PM

You should of NEVER entered here
    jamezr and EMGSM like this.
    10-10-2019 10:48 PM
    Never understood the willingness and desire of someone to defend a product no matter what.
    Like its a reflection of themselves and if they admit a fault with the product then somehow its admitting a fault in them.

Simple facts are these batteries are considerably smaller than much of the competition.
    Its not hard to estimate potential battery life from past models, competitor models, known battery consumption for the processor.

The only thing that is an unknown is how much the 90hz screen will affect the overall battery life. But even then there are already competitors with similar chipsets and screens we can look at: OnePlus 7T.
    That device has a just "OK" battery life.

So IMO Google dropped the ball yet again.
    dsignori, Golurk and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-11-2019 09:20 AM
    Never understood the willingness and desire of someone to defend a product no matter what.
    Like its a reflection of themselves and if they admit a fault with the product then somehow its admitting a fault in them.

Simple facts are these batteries are considerably smaller than much of the competition.
    Its not hard to estimate potential battery life from past models, competitor models, known battery consumption for the processor.

The only thing that is an unknown is how much the 90hz screen will affect the overall battery life. But even then there are already competitors with similar chipsets and screens we can look at: OnePlus 7T.
    That device has a just "OK" battery life.

So IMO Google dropped the ball yet again.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but just off the top of my head you're missing at least four factors for which the power consumption impact cannot yet be determined: one, how efficiently the non-skinned version of Android will operate in tandem with the 7nm 855; two, how well Google will manage throttling the display refresh for efficiency gains vs 7T; three, the power efficiency of the actual panel being used in the 4 (at least, I haven't heard any leaks saying it's the exact same - or even same series - as that used in the 7T); and 4, the degree to which the Neural Core can add efficiency. With the latter, we can assume it will take on all duties formerly assigned to last year's Visual Core, but it is certainly reasonable to assume ti will additionally be capable of handling a number of other tasks (certainly the enhancements to GA, and potentially far beyond that) with possibly another substantial boost to efficiency.

I'm not ready to 'call it' as to whether the Pixel 4's battery life will be greater or lesser than that of the 3. Wherever it turns out, there will be plenty who find it ample, tons who find it easily manageable, and then some who find it insufficient. My experience with the Pixel 3 XL has been that it has been ample on most days, and woefully insufficient if unsupported by a charger or battery pack on a few - but on those few, there's not a phone on the market that would have lasted without something to refresh it, so it was fine.

However it turns out, though, OEM drops the ball in a number of different ways relative to other OEM's, every year, either in providing a lesser-spec/performance for a feature, or omitting a feature that is available from another OEM(s). The only thing that matters is how you prioritize which balls dropping is acceptable. (pick a model you feel did everything right, and I'll point out at least 3 areas they dropped the ball).
    anon(10092459) and jamezr like this.
    10-11-2019 12:00 PM
303 ... 34567 ...