2800mAh? Is this a joke?

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Having seen some comments saying “it might not be too bad, stop jumping to conclusions” etc:

1. Firstly, 2800mAh is substandard. Unless it’s a graphene battery (which it isn’t) this is already a small battery, especially considered 3000mAh batteries are considered to be small.

2. The display looks as if it will be a 5.7 inch FHD OLED one. That’s barely smaller than the battery on the XS and S9, and both of those had mediocre battery lives. Don’t forget, the Pixel 4 has a smaller battery as well.

3. And to top it all off, the display will be 90hz, making it even more power-hungry.

I don’t see how slight battery optimisations on Android 10 and a new 7nm processor can translate all of this to a good battery life. The maths doesn’t add up. I would wait for reviews to make a final decision in terms of buying the P4 or not if I was tempted to get one.

IF (massive IF) Google somehow makes the battery life on the Pixel 4 above average, I will be amazed and eat my words. But for now, things aren’t looking good.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I mean.. it's the 2nd largest battery ever put in a Pixel .. Soooo...

All this concern is premature.. Let's wait until real world usage comes in before we 'Judge Dredd' the battery ..

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Having seen some comments saying “it might not be too bad, stop jumping to conclusions” etc:

1. Firstly, 2800mAh is substandard. Unless it’s a graphene battery (which it isn’t) this is already a small battery, especially considered 3000mAh batteries are considered to be small.

You lost me on number 1.

I'm not clear on what you mean by
".... 2800mAh is substandard. Unless it’s a graphene battery (which it isn’t)..."

2800mAh is still 2800mAh regardless of material composition. I'm not trying to give you a hard time...I just don't know what you mean. I believe with graphene you can fit more juice in a smaller space but I haven't done my homework on it.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I mean.. it's the 2nd largest battery ever put in a Pixel .. Soooo...

All this concern is premature.. Let's wait until real world usage comes in before we 'Judge Dredd' the battery ..
I usually don't get worked up about battery size, especially when I see downsizing by 100 or 200mAh. In this case it seems the concern is a higher rate of consumption because of leaked features. If it turns out to be true, it's certainly bad news for the Pixel because some will avoid it.

For my use case, battery size is mostly irrelevant because I am usually near an outlet and fast charging is a beautiful thing. When I'm going somewhere where I need battery longevity I plan ahead and bring a juice pack but that's mostly because I use my device a lot. A good portion of that is Android Central.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I usually don't get worked up about battery size, especially when I see downsizing by 100 or 200mAh. In this case it seems the concern is a higher rate of consumption because of leaked features.

Not unreasonable, but there are additional considerations .. the new chip set for example .. People just looking at the consumption side and not the efficiency side of the scale.. I'm just saying let's maybe wait and see before we come to a conclusion about the battery life ..

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site
Not unreasonable, but there are additional considerations .. the new chip set for example .. People just looking at the consumption side and not the efficiency side of the scale.. I'm just saying let's maybe wait and see before we come to a conclusion about the battery life ..

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posted here.:cool:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yup.... That's pretty much my thoughts. I'm a wait and see kind of person and for me as I said battery life isn't that critical. I do see cause for concern for those that pre-order and feel battery life is critical.

I don't plan on buying a Pixel 4 or the 4XL at all. If I was going to buy it would be the XL and I certainly wouldn't pre-order unless it was a sweet deal like Samsung did with the Note 10+ unlocked. I traded the 3XL for 600 dollars which was higher than selling it on Swappa. They also gave 150 spending credit for accessories and an additional 50 for reserving a pre-order. The even sweeter deal was they gave the same trade value for the smaller Pixel 3. Last year I think all Google offered was the Hub during pre-order. I have an S10+ I could trade, but no way Google will give anything decent.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yup.... That's pretty much my thoughts. I'm a wait and see kind of person and for me as I said battery life isn't that critical. I do see cause for concern for those that pre-order and feel battery life is critical.

I don't plan on buying a Pixel 4 or the 4XL at all. If I was going to buy it would be the XL and I certainly wouldn't pre-order unless it was a sweet deal like Samsung did with the Note 10+ unlocked. I traded the 3XL for 600 dollars which was higher than selling it on Swappa. They also gave 150 spending credit for accessories and an additional 50 for reserving a pre-order. The even sweeter deal was they gave the same trade value for the smaller Pixel 3. Last year I think all Google offered was the Hub during pre-order. I have an S10+ I could trade, but no way Google will give anything decent.
I'm afraid you might be right about the trade in:(
I still think the battery will get you through the day on pixel 4 series

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I guess you can't even state facts any more, it seems, if it goes against someone's opinion. This thread is full of speculation about the potential battery life, while very little facts have been stated.

But whatever, I guess ...

It's not that. If I listed 4 terrible options, and you responded with: "But this is the 2nd least terrible option", yes you would be stating a fact. But is also an attempt to make something poor look acceptable.

The overall point is that we should try to be objective when we can. If your opinion is that a 2800Mah battery is fine/good in late 2019 on a 5.7 inch 90Htz display, cool. But I think to have that opinion, one might be trying to talk oneself into something ..

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
It's not that. If I listed 4 terrible options, and you responded with: "But this is the 2nd least terrible option", yes you would be stating a fact. But is also an attempt to make something poor look acceptable.

The overall point is that we should try to be objective when we can. If your opinion is that a 2800Mah battery is fine/good in late 2019 on a 5.7 inch 90Htz display, cool. But I think to have that opinion, one might be trying to talk oneself into something ..

Saying that something is "good" or "bad" is always a matter personal perspective. If you are of the opinion that Pixel batteries are "bad" then that's cool. I don't see them as such in my usage.

Here's my idle time on my Pixel 2. I haven't charged it in days. It has a smaller battery than the one we're discussing. Now is that "bad" to you?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191010-092636.jpg
    Screenshot_20191010-092636.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20191010-092653.jpg
    Screenshot_20191010-092653.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 17

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Saying that something is "good" or "bad" is always a matter personal perspective. If you are of the opinion that Pixel batteries are "bad" then that's cool. I don't see them as such in my usage.

Here's my idle time on my Pixel 2. I haven't charged it in days. It has a smaller battery than the one we're discussing. Now is that "bad" to you?

I'm glad this works for you. Hopefully the 4 will also work well for you. Of course it would work better for you (and for everyone) with a larger battery, yes?

We can't let Google get away with lagging just about every other phone of this size with battery capacity, by helping them justify it.

p.s. You're showing 9 minutes of screen time :)

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad this works for you. Hopefully the 4 will also work well for you. Of course it would work better for you (and for everyone) with a larger battery, yes?

p.s. You're showing 9 minutes of screen time :)

I should've been clearer. It is my idle time on that device. Instead of I haven't charged it in days, I should've said I haven't touched it in days .. was poor wording on my part.

My Pixel 3 actually isn't as good under the same circumstances wit it's 2915 mAh battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power